49 replies to this topic

#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,737 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 02:18 PM

The Roper-Sears is like GMC-Chevy, they came off the same production line, although Roper seemed to use mainly Briggs in their machines and the upper grills were aluminum- less breakage.

That Speedex is a nice tractor, but implements will be limited.

The SS16 package is a real good deal, the electric 3point is about a 250-300 attachment itself, the rear grader blade would go for 150 in my area.

• boyscout862 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#17 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • Member No: 87662
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 03:28 PM

Well, I took a chance an emailed about the SS16. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My birthday is Monday so maybe my wife will let it slide?

• boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#18 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 84 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 11:00 PM

I agree that the Sears SS18 is a steal. I've had my 1973 SS-16 for 40 years and it still continues to amaze me how hard it can be worked. It is my winter tractor now - can't beat it for clearing snow with the snow thrower. Parts can be expensive, but most are less than an SSI module for a Tecumseh. If that SS18 was here in RI, I'd probably buy it tomorrow.

Good luck,

• My3kidsfather said thank you

#19 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 02:23 AM

Looking at the pics it would appear to be an ss16. The guy is retired and maybe his eyesight let him see an 18 instead of a 16 but it still seems a solid deal. I'm going to set up a meet and check it out.

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,737 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:32 AM

No, I believe it is an 18Hp. Guy stated he replaced the front nose cone which has the 16 on it. If that's the case, the hood is still original and it has the 18/6 on it.

Another fact, since it's badged as an 18/6, that makes it a 1977 model, That was the only year Sears used the 16/6- 18/6 badging.

• boyscout862 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#21 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:47 AM

Well I feel dumb as heck....I'm calling him this morning and dragging it home. Glad it's the 18. Love this site.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#22 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 08:01 AM

Ok, headed to Statesville. I'll let you guys know when I get her home. Thank you everyone for all the advice. I feel like I'm getting a real piece of equipment here.

• MH81 said thank you

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,637 Thanks
  • 8,593 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 08:14 AM

Ok, headed to Statesville. I'll let you guys know when I get her home. Thank you everyone for all the advice. I feel like I'm getting a real piece of equipment here.

HAve a safe trip and don't forget to ask for any paperwork that he may have. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#24 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 12:12 PM

Well, it's here. I definitely got my money's worth just in implements alone so I'm feeling good about the deal. When I got there, we started it up and it chugged for a second but started. It's in real good shape other than a few coats of dust. So I get it home and go to take it off the trailer and it wont start....Turns over fine but its not getting spark all of a sudden. I found a broken wire coming from the electric hitch switch and one of the headlight wires got ripped off but nothing else looks loose or broken under there. I put an inline spark tester on it and got nothing. Kind of a bummer I guess but to be expected from a 40 year old tractor. I need to study up on it and see what I need and what everything is called. Could be the coil? Ignition module? Battery seemed ok, it definitely had no problem turning the starter over and theres one of those battery tender connectors hooked up so it seems it did get some attention. Mowing deck is in good shape as are all the implements which included an aerator, dethatcher, turn-plow, scrape-plow, and a funky cultivator with discs on the ends and tines in the middle. Also got a nice but empty set of wheel weights and a weight box that attaches to the implements. Havent tried the electric hitch but he said he took the motor to an alternator shop and had it rebrushed and I dont think it was ever used after that. Also got the manual hitch but seems a little different in that it has a two-piece handle with a bracket that adjusts the length or leverage? Anyways, glad its here and glad its the big burly 18-horse. I think it will clean up pretty nice and easily, just gotta get that spark worked out, change the oil and filter, clean the gas tank and carb and maybe new fuel line and some wiring cleanup. Thanks for the advice and I look forward to sharing it's rehab with you guys.

#25 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,670 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hi cj, the Onan has battery ignition so the first thing to check is if there is 12 volt at the + coil terminal if so next check the points they may just need cleaning.

#26 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 01:44 PM

Quick update, I put the battery on a charger while I went through and cleaned the plugs and found the breaker box and shined up the points. Pulled the charger off and it gave me a putter! Gave it a shot of starter fluid and it snapped at me pretty good. The battery needs a good charge or I need another one. I patched up the headlight wires and just need to reground the hitch switch and it should be a runner. I found the manual and parts diagram which came in handy while trying to locate the points cover. If it needs starter fluid, thats a pretty good indication that the carb needs to be cleaned out good. It might fire right up after that.

#27 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 03:58 PM

Going further, I pulled the gas tank to find some terrible smelling old gas and a completely rotted fuel line. So I'm off to get some fuel line and an inline filter from the auto parts place. Cleaned the carb up a good bit, and started cleaning off some dirt. It still has some paint left!

#28 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Ok, gas tank is clean, carb is clean and reset to factory, new fuel line and filter, battery holds charge, looking good so far. It will easily start on starter fluid but I don't think the fuel pump is working at all. It's not pulling gas to the filter and it runs if I feed it from the top. Is there an easy fix here or is this something that I need to track down? I figure a cheap low pressure fuel pump wold work but I'm not sure how to hook it up since this pump is made into the carb. I guess maybe it could be a vacuum issue too but I think the pump is buggered.

#29 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,670 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hi the carb fuel pump is weak on the Onan engine somewhere in the manuals it says not to use a fuel filter there should be a screen in the tank at the hose connection for sure you don't want a paper filter if you use a inline filter use the B&S screen type (low resistance), what I did to get around the fuel pump problem was to install an electric pump mounted it on the cool shroud connected the + wire to the coil + terminal so it activated when the key was turned on. All you have to do is disconnect the carb fuel pump pulse hose block the hose off and cap the nipple on the fuel pump no need to disassemble the pulse pump but don't run both the float can not handle two. No fuel is most likely the reason it doesn't fire up right away.  

#30 TerribleCj OFFLINE  

TerribleCj
  • 17 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:13 PM

So, I should maybe remove the filter and try it first before ordering or buying a pump?  I block outboard lines with a bolt and a hose clamp, will that suffice here for the old vac pulse line? Then nipple the inlet where the hose from the gas tank was connected. Is there a pump you would recommend? Forgive my ignorance but how does the fuel leave the replacement pump and enter the carb? Thats the only part that has me confused.

Edited by TerribleCj, July 20, 2017 - 06:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, suburban, ss16, st16, ss12