• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• Member No: 1183
  • 319 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:29 PM

The MF10 I would be leery about letting kids run it on a hill, I have had my own pop out of gear on the hills in my back yard. Good think the brake works very well. I prefer my MF14 with the hydro mowing on the hills over my MF10, even though the MF10 does a better job of mowing. 

• boyscout862 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#17 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • Member No: 87536
  • 19 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 03:59 PM

My son was driving his MF8 at age 8, moved to his reassembled MF10 at 14.

The Massey tractors are great rides, but there are a few unique things about them.
First, the Teccy engine. Not impossible to get Parts for, but getting harder. The spark system can be expensive to replace.
The belts are proprietary in their angle. Some have bought aftermarkets, but I don't know of any who've taken the time to give feedback.
The varispeed is a cool gadget. If it ever need adjusted, read the (free here) service manual. Then read it again. Then don't adjust it, just stare at it... Then read it again. NOW you can start the adjustment with the book next to you to reread. Rest of the machine parts are pretty rugged and are available on eBay or from the suppliers here and on other forums.

Not that bad, but E V E R Y O N E assumes they know what they are doing and ends up making it harder for themselves.

I love the styling on the Massey tractors. They rock IMHO.

Getting parts is important- that is why  a JD or Craftsman are in the running. We get what we pay for, then we pay, and pay... lol.

#18 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,753 Thanks
  • 3,791 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 05:53 PM

Get a tractor that has all the safety switches working. If kids are driving it, or anybody for that matter.

Noel
  • pryan05 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,884 Thanks
  • 2,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 06:19 PM

It's the biggest tractor Wheel Horse ever made. It typically ran a 60" mower deck

really? I thought that the D series was.
  • My3kidsfather said thank you

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,808 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 06:53 PM

Did you read this thread thoroughly? This was already discussed.

#21 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,909 Thanks
  • 29,736 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 11:26 PM

Get a tractor that has all the safety switches working. If kids are driving it, or anybody for that matter.
Noel

I would agree that switches are important, but many of our tractors are either not designed for them or they are faulty from age.
Repairing / upgrading is an option, especially seat switches, but nothing beats proper safety training and parental supervision.
  • dodge trucker and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,774 Thanks
  • 5,734 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 12:12 AM

especially seat switches

I'm just about to the point where I'm going to bypass the switch on the new mower. It has become a safety issue. When mowing along the road ditch if I try and shift my weight at all the mower wants to shut down so I can't move my weight to the uphill side of the seat. They have grab handles on either side of the seat mounted on the fenders but if you use them to keep yourself upright in the seat the mower quits.  :wallbanging:

• olcowhand, MH81, MolonLabe and 2 others have said thanks

#23 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,121 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:16 AM

Find Cub Cadet, buy Cub Cadet, live happily ever after.

#24 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 07:56 AM

Find Cub Cadet, buy Cub Cadet, live happily ever after.

...until the PTO clutch wears out and you cant take it off because the set screws are rusted in. then the socket strips out and you have to take half of the tractor apart to drill them out.  :wallbanging:

• MolonLabe, olds45512 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#25 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,121 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 11:36 AM

...until the PTO clutch wears out and you cant take it off because the set screws are rusted in. then the socket strips out and you have to take half of the tractor apart to drill them out.  :wallbanging:

Nobody ever said that owning antique equipment was easy, man up buttercup.

#26 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 216 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 12:00 PM

About the only thing I can add that I haven't seen anyone else mention is ROPS. Depending on the size of the tractor, your slopes, and your concern level it may or may not be a point to consider. A tumble on even a small tractor has the potential to do some major damage to the operator.

Edited by dtsh, July 19, 2017 - 12:03 PM.

• propane1 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#27 My3kidsfather OFFLINE  

My3kidsfather
  • Member No: 87536
  • 19 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 12:02 PM

The house with the hill was discustingly dirty, we could not get out fast enough. So back to watching for other properties for sale.

I agree safety switches are important, if equipped. I have a paranoid view of equipment, tend to over-maintain everything.

The Cub Cadet tractors are great, and the Masseys, and the JD's, and the Case 222 and 444's, and the Craftsman GT's, and the Allis's, and the Wheel Horse's (never heard of the brand before signing up here, like 'um a lot). And all the others too. So it's an adventure trying to find a house and a good GT these days. Don't want a powder puff, must be better built, we shall see.

So a Wheel Horse 312-8 is a better tractor too?

#28 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,753 Thanks
  • 3,791 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 12:38 PM

Brakes. Did I mention or somebody mention brakes. Good working ones. Load the front and rear tires. Adds lots of weight. Helps with roll over troubles. Water, have to drain for winter thou, or windshield washer fluid or similar.
I would look at some thing like my Yardworks. Easy to drive, put in forward or reverse, push the pedal and go. Has all the safety switches in place. Not a garden tractor thou.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• MH81 and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#29 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,909 Thanks
  • 29,736 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 01:33 PM

So a Wheel Horse 312-8 is a better tractor too?

The 312-8 is the same as the 314-8, just a 12 hp Kohler instead of a 14 hp.
They are mean, rugged machines. Good parts support for both machine and engine.

#30 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,909 Thanks
  • 29,736 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 01:35 PM

I'm just about to the point where I'm going to bypass the switch on the new mower. It has become a safety issue. When mowing along the road ditch if I try and shift my weight at all the mower wants to shut down so I can't move my weight to the uphill side of the seat. They have grab handles on either side of the seat mounted on the fenders but if you use them to keep yourself upright in the seat the mower quits. :wallbanging:

That falls under piss-poor engineering IMHO. It's probably the #1 reason people disable them
  • olcowhand, Cvans and My3kidsfather have said thanks