19 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,669 Thanks
  • 5,959 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 06:42 AM

Believe they are here.  Getting a lot of real hot weather in these parts.  Hi 90's, 100-105 heat index, with dew points in the high 60's and low 70's.  Big problem is no breeze to speak of.  Get a little done in the morning and that's it.  Deliver a tractor about 90 miles from home this morning.  Tomorrow have two appointments at the VA, both check ups.  Then pick up a bigger trailer I bought.  Have my 12' tilt bed for sale.  Guy thought he wanted it but wanted me to meat him half way with no $$ down.  Nope, don't think so.  I get there and he don't show or decides it isn't what he was thinking it was (if he was even thinking).  Don't play those kind of games.  To old and it's to hot to be messed with like that.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,781 Thanks
  • 43,811 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, know what you mean! I'm going out here shortly to pull a flywheel off a Kohler to check the magnets. Gonna be hot this afternoon.

• grnspot110, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,737 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 07:08 AM

Our weather is crazy right now, few days of low 90's high humidity, then this weekend was in low to mid 80's. Throw in a thunderstorm almost every day  last week.

Next week will be very hot I can guarantee it, we have the county fair. The fair could be middle of the winter and we would still have the hottest week of the year.  :D

• olcowhand, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,646 Thanks
  • 8,601 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 07:29 AM

It seems like the "Dog Days" are early this year. I usually figure early August but it is here now. It means fequent breaks and working in the basement as much as possible.

I put in one of those hybrid electric hot water heaters a couple of years ago. It removes heat and humidity from the basement while reducing my electric bill by about 20%. The basement is the most comfortable area in the house now.

Stay hydrated. Good Luck, Rick
  • grnspot110, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,722 Thanks
  • 1,070 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 07:33 AM

This week is going to be our first extended hot spell. High 80's, low 90's...........with humidity to match :wallbanging:

I hate humidity.......makes my boxers into a soup bowl :toilethead:

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 2,251 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 07:44 AM

I know what your talking about, we have been in the high 90's with 4 or so days last week around 100-103, heat index of around 110.  there has been no wind at all, I mean NON. The humidity is super high for some reason, every morning is foggy with the humidity around 97%, we never used to have humidity, it was always hot and dry. We always complained that the wind was like a furnace blowing dry hot air on you.

I've been working outside everyday all day, I am getting used to the hot weather but I can't wait till New Zealand because they don't get much over 70 degrees :rocker2: :dancingbanana:

• Gtractor, MFDAC, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 08:11 AM

We have been at or about  95 degrees with a 105 heat index for 3 weeks now with very little break and not much wind,I complain about winter because mostly it stiffens up everything you dont want stiff(never anything you do) but right now I could deal quite well with 20 degrees :wave: This heat makes auctions we have to do just flat out suck,My water bill went up $30(They charge us $14 per thousand gallons)I guess I drank it all!!Sure didnt pee that much!My wife likes it warm and is comfortable with out the air conditioning on so we have to go with out,By 2 in the afternoon its 87 degrees in our house!We just have fans blowing hot air around.She gets all bent out of shape if you even suggest turning on the ac(Its so close to me I can touch the knob,Sometimes I talk to it ,,,Tell it that it will cool us someday all I need is a good menopausal  hot flash  for the wife that will change her mind! :mad2: So far I have been lucky in the fact it seems to cool down quick at night so a fan in the window blowing across the bed actually is quite cool!If I have to lay there at night and sweat all night wifey is gonna be living with the ac on whether she likes it or not!On the positive side of no ac the electric bill is only $250 a month instead of $400 plus and the all grown up ,Eating me out of house and home, Non working(except Mikayla)Lazy bum kids are hotter yet upstairs and complain daily,,,Ready now all say AWWWWWW SHUCKS! :rocker2:

• Gtractor, grnspot110, jms180 and 4 others have said thanks

#8 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,236 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 08:22 AM

its hot here in North Alabama just normal for this time of year high 90s and high humidity. its just unbearable to be outside afternoon time

• MFDAC, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 218 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:42 AM

WARNING: Astronomy nerd reply!

Believe they are here.

Technically, the dog days don't start until August 2nd this year, when the star Sirius begins rising before the Sun.

Sirius is the brightest star in the sky and part of the constellation Canis Major, commonly depicted as one of two hunting dogs following the Hunter, Orion.

As an entirely unrelated note, in the evening shortly after the Sun has set, there will be a bright "star" in the southwest skies (at least for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere). If you have a pair of binoculars, spotting scope, rifle scope, or telescope, you should be able to make out some of it's features and, depending on the 'scope, upto 4 of it's moons.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

• MFDAC, boyscout862, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,357 Thanks
  • 3,258 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:50 AM

WARNING: Astronomy nerd reply!

Technically, the dog days don't start until August 2nd this year, when the star Sirius begins rising before the Sun.

Sirius is the brightest star in the sky and part of the constellation Canis Major, commonly depicted as one of two hunting dogs following the Hunter, Orion.

As an entirely unrelated note, in the evening shortly after the Sun has set, there will be a bright "star" in the southwest skies (at least for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere). If you have a pair of binoculars, spotting scope, rifle scope, or telescope, you should be able to make out some of it's features and, depending on the 'scope, upto 4 of it's moons.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

I guess I will be pointing my rifle at the stars tonight...interesting.
  • MFDAC, oldedeeres and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,357 Thanks
  • 3,258 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:58 AM

I'm glad to hear others are feeling this too. I've been thinking the hot humid don't feel like doing anything days are early too. I was weed eating one day last week in some fields & started feeling really bad. My legs were tingling, I could feel my heart pulsing in my ears. I had only been working less than an hour so I had to quit. I cooled off, cleaned up & watched Andy Griffith.
  • MFDAC and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,504 Thanks
  • 4,653 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 05:09 PM

We just have a window unit A-C. 

It will run 24/7 until the nights get below 68 degrees [F] and the days don't get above 89 [F]

The "64" showing is degrees and its coldest setting.  I don't know why its off 10 degrees but its usually 72-74 in here and that's about right.  The unit cycles as it should so I'm OK with that.   This is one of those modern energy efficient models where fan and all shut off like a central air unit.

Costs less than $1/day in electricity to operate and I will not sit here and sweat just to save $20-$25/month. 

We are both still running the mattress pad at night or I'd have to turn the a-c warmer a few degrees. 

We don't cool [or heat] the two bedrooms upstairs or the enclosed back porch.

Humidity is awful this year for some reason.

Attached Thumbnails

• air-co.jpg

#13 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,858 Thanks
  • 1,241 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 06:34 PM

7:30 pm , and its 80. just got back from taking  Lily my dog down to the pond. She slept all day. Dog days for sure!

• KennyP, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#14 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,866 Thanks
  • 1,457 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 07:21 PM

It's pushing 100* F almost every day too but a hot wind along with it. 40-50 mph yesterday, 30 or so today. Not much rain. I just run one 4' light in the office of my shop and have a flashlight by the keyboard to see to type darn thing is black---LOL! Running all the lights get the office up to 85 fast. Now I hit some button that makes everything underlined and not sure how to turn it off-----!

Dang forget it I'll be back when I figure out how to turn that stupid thing off!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• type by flashlight.jpg

• Gtractor, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#15 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,954 Thanks
  • 2,572 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:17 PM

I've been trying to work in the cabin a couple days/week, by noon I'm soaked & done for the day!   :wallbanging:

We run two window air conditioners in the house, one in the front room (73*) & one in the bedroom (72* through the day, drop it to 70* a couple hours before bed time, then back up to 72* before hitting the sack.

I leave the "mini-split" on full time @ 72* in the shop, drop it a couple if I'm going to be in there very long.

• Gtractor, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks