MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 07:48 PM

Is there any way that you can check to make sure you have good water flow after it gets hot? It is possible that the impeller is loosening up on the shaft and he is not spinning as fast as the shaft is trying to drive it. This could happen more the hotter it gets.
Another idea, did you do a compression test on all the cylinders?
I agree with all of the clean out the internals comments.
  • boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,192 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 08:47 AM

The water pump and cleanning the engine block passages are good comments. I had a 350 Chevy that liked to overheat. It got damaged in one of the overheating episodes(90*+ weather) so I overhaulled the engine. The block was 1/2 full of sand in the water jacket. That stuff was setup hard. IT took many hours to clean it all out but that fixed the problem.

If you could mow real early in the morning you might be able to get by for awhile. Good Luck, and stay hydrated, Rick
  • MH81 and jimmy G have said thanks

#18 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 739 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 11:40 AM

The block was 1/2 full of sand in the water jacket.

that is a real possibility,have seen many freeze plugs corroded on the back side and start leaking from buildup in the water jacket,it's not hard to pop a plug out and take a look
  • MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 4,010 Thanks
  • 2,361 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the info,

I went out and mowed with it last evening/night, it was around 8:30, I mowed till dark which was 9:30 and I didn't have any trouble with it overheating.

I installed a air conditioner filter over grill to help keep the straw and gunk out of the radiator. It seemed to work really good and it only cost $2.49

All was going great with the tractor and mowing till the mower broke a belt :wallbanging:. I knew the belt was about shot when I started and I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Attached Thumbnails

• Massey Grill.PNG

• MH81 said thank you