#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 2,251 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:25 PM

I started mowing the wheat stubble with the Massey Ferguson 35 and bush hog today, the oil pressure seems low on that old tractor? when I got it the PO replaced the oil pump, the tractor doesn't smoke or burn oil, it's a nice running old tractor. The oil gauge is always on 20, after it's run for several hours it drops to around 15 to 10 and that's when I shut it down.

Just recently the tractor started leaking oil from under the dash and onto the shifter. I'm guessing the pressure gauge is leaking? maybe that's why it shows low pressure? I'm not going to run it any longer till I get it sorted out on what it is.

The old tractor was also getting a little hot on me today, I dumped in 3/4 gallon of water but it was still getting close to the red mark on the gauge. If I ran the tractor at a low throttle it seemed to run the right temp, but as soon as I sped the engine up the gauge would start climbing. I might try washing out the radiator, I've been doing a fair amount of mowing with it so maybe it's plugging up.

As you can see in the pictures of the oil leaking, the oil is super dark black, but when I check the oil on the dipstick, the oil couldn't be cleaner looking???.

The oil seems thin to me, I don't know what the PO put in it for oil, I'm going to check the oil tomorrow when the engine is cold, I might just drain out the oil and start over. Does anyone have any ideas???

I'm needing to get this sorted out fairly soon, I have 10 acres that needs to be plowed and I don't want to have any issues once I get started.

Thanks for any help

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170714_210453.jpg
  • 20170714_210511.jpg
  • 20170525_172549.jpg

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 958 Thanks
  • 653 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 12:03 AM

That's a lot of black oil,if it was just trapped oil in the line it should have ran clean fairly quick,I'm thinking the gauge has slowly leaked internally for a while and is now flushing,probably the low oil problem too
  • boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,955 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 06:37 AM

What oil have you been adding? Detergent or non?
If deter/ent, Replace the gauge and switch to a good 15w40 or sae 30 and see where you are. Presure you state are on the lower end of normal and probably common on 50 yr old machines.
I think these were set for 30 at startup on sae30 oil.

Edited by MH81, July 15, 2017 - 06:38 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,280 Thanks
  • 7,667 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:13 AM

I too think the low pressure on these old rigs is just kinda common. I've had Case and MM's that both show low once warmed up and no problems.  My old MM's have lots of sludge in bottom of engine case when you get into them, AND, the intake screen is right down there half-way in it. Not sure how ford does it.  Easy to pull side off engine and look around and clean out, but Ford probly needs pan pulled, lots of work and gaskets then. Haven't changed oil yet?, shame on you!  Filter on those?  I would get some good Rotella 30w and do that.  That is a HD oil and good stuff. Don't get the 15w-40 they have, look for the 30.

Might try to screw oil gauge into a port close to engine. MM"s have place where line goes in on side, Case had too, can pull the line fittings out and screw a 1/8" pipe base gauge in there and have it right on engine to test.

Edited by glgrumpy, July 15, 2017 - 07:16 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#5 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 2,251 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:27 AM

What oil have you been adding? Detergent or non?
If deter/ent, Replace the gauge and switch to a good 15w40 or sae 30 and see where you are. Presure you state are on the lower end of normal and probably common on 50 yr old machines.
I think these were set for 30 at startup on sae30 oil.

I'll change the oil, I'll dump a can of seafoam in it before I change it.  I have been putting in sae 30, I have only added 1 qt since I bought the tractor several months ago

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 2,251 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:44 AM

Haven't changed oil yet?, shame on you!

When I bought this tractor it had quite a bit of work done on it, it had just had the oil replaced so I didn't bother.

I'll try and get the gauge tested, the gauge started leaking on my old IH 400 when I was really needing it for disking and and planting. I know I shouldn't of but I got a pair of pliers, cut off the line at the gauge and then crimped line. I then soldered over the end and continued on with my work. That tractor always showed great oil pressure and after the wheat was planted I replaced the gauge and line.

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,955 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:47 AM

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Fixed a brake line like that once.
An hour from home, on a Sunday

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 2,251 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:53 AM

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Fixed a brake line like that once.
An hour from home, on a Sunday

I had a friend do that once on his grain truck, he used a pair of vicegrips and just left them on there.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,646 Thanks
  • 8,601 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:16 PM

Change the oil right away, check the points, and check the timing. Timing being off can cause over heating. Check that the exterior radiator fins aren't plugged. If all is well then you may have to flush the radiator.

The oil guage should be replaced. They used to be cheap so I usually kept a couple of spares.

If you need the tractor during the day, spend the evening time to do the maintenance. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 15, 2017 - 08:17 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,491 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:39 PM

15psi isn't that bad for these old tractors, but I'll bet the gauge is causing a lower than actual reading.  Check the radiator for debris, and as said, check the timing.  If all is good, I'd replace the thermostat.

• MH81, boyscout862, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 2,251 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 03:47 PM

OK, go all the oil issues sorted, I flushed out the radiator, washed out the fins then blow it all out with a air compressor. I also removed the thermostat and the tractor is still getting warm. I was talking to some other farmers around and they are having the same issues with their new machinery. Today is 102F tomorrow is going to be 104F, I guess that's why it's getting hot???.

I know that I need to do a bunch of mowing and then start plowing.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,781 Thanks
  • 43,811 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:01 PM

An aftermarket cooling fan blowing through the radiator?

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and BTS have said thanks

#13 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 958 Thanks
  • 653 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:49 PM

Fan shrouds have a lot to do with air pull,a more aggressive fan would probably fix it,Chevy trucks have 3 and 4 core radiator's for this reason when equipped with tow package

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 5,353 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:51 PM

Mow @ night!  

102° is hotter than blazes..  Try flushing the engine side of the cooling system..  There may be gunkage preventing optimum engine cooling.  After 50 years it is almost a certainty to have junk in there.  Check the belt / water pump for slipping..  

all I got

• MH81, boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,491 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 06:54 PM

Removing the thermostat entirely can actually worsen the heating issue.  The water can pass through the radiator so fast the heat can't removed.  Get a new thermostat in there.  You likely have buildup in the passages between the block and the head which will require a special cleaner ran through it to dissolve it.

• boyscout862, BTS and MolonLabe have said thanks