jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,740 Thanks
  • 1,825 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 08:39 PM

I have finally been able to devote some time to working on my barn and start repairing it and changing it into a garage.

The barn is 36 ft. wide and 48 ft. long with nine 4x6 post along each outside wall and two rows of five  4x6 post down the center.
The problem is that this barn wasn't mucked out very often and the manure has rotted all but five of the outside post.
Three of which had about a foot of the post completely rotted away.
Luckily, the two rows of post down the center were treated with creosote and they are not damaged at all.

The south-east outside corner post was made from the very center of a tree and it only has that core of the tree left for about a foot and a half at ground level.
I repaired that one right away when we moved down here and posted that repair but I'm going to re-post it again as a representation of what I had to do to repair all the other post.

Here is the corner post.

SAM_0902_zpswppydfbo.jpg

Starting to box it in with treated 2x6 and 2x8 boards.

SAM_0903_zpsv73tyio4.jpg

Boxed all the way up on three sides and part way up on the forth side.
Galvanized 1/2 inch bolts are fastened thru the treated boards and the good part of the barn post.

SAM_0904_zpsbvihkfnu.jpg

The gap inside was filled with a really soupy concrete mix.

SAM_0906_zpsxphqsxx7.jpg

Then the upper area was filled with a thicker concrete mix.

SAM_0910_zpsf7s9oe2b.jpg

The last piece of treated board was fastened in place to seal it up.

SAM_0911_zpsm7zxixur.jpg

I then put concrete in the hole that I had dug out around the post.
That gives you a good idea of what I had to do to repair the damaged barn post.

This is what the barn looked like when we purchased the property.

Front.

35_zpsgamzeyzp.jpg

Rear.

33_zpsmmgcfqps.jpg

One side ( Note .. the metal is going all the way down into the dirt and is all rotted away at the ground level. )

SAM_0798%20-%20Copy_zpscbmjjdi4.jpg

This is what the inside of the barn looked like.

Front.

39_zpsvicpacdl.jpg

Rear.

36_zpsboweznaj.jpg

We had a big dumpster brought in and filled it up with the trash in the barn so it looked like this.
This photo is a little deceiving .. the center of the barn slopes down about four foot from the front to the back.
The " black " dirt on either side of the center strip of dirt is left over manure that ended up being about a foot deep.

39a_zpsl7rx4org.jpg

I got the front sliding doors re-hung and opened up the center stall in the back.

35a_zpskobswdle.jpg

SAM_0873_zpsexxjemzx.jpg

I cleaned all the dirt and manure out of the barn and used this to back fill around the new house.
The new grass seed really liked it.
Then I repaired each of the outside barn post that needed repair and I went ahead and boxed around the five post that didn't need repair just for the heck of it.

Then I put in a three foot high retaining wall across the center of the barn .. separating it into a front part that is 36 foot wide by 24 foot deep and a rear part the same size.

SAM_1368_zpsl1cjochr.jpg

The floor in the rear part was leveled off and I built a wall along the inside of both outside walls with treated 2x8 boards.

SAM_1373_zpsh97afjlj.jpg

On the outside, I cut the metal off along a level line so the repaired barn post and retaining wall shows.
I also put up rain guttering to direct the warter away from the building.

SAM_1370_zpsrnllk2za.jpg

Here you can see some of the bolts on the repaired post.

SAM_1371_zpspnol0go0.jpg

The front part is filled with nine dump truck loads of dirt and stones.
The guy did an excellent job of getting it fairly smooth with his skid loader.
He didn't want to " push " the fill against the retaining walls and the corners so he scooped it up and dumped it along those areas.
I told him that I would smooth it out the rest of the way myself.

SAM_1366_zpsdpf8ddk1.jpg

SAM_1365_zpshy7kv1s9.jpg

SAM_1364_zps2gaqdcao.jpg

Time to get out the " R/T " tractor and put her to work again.
Starting with grading the entrance to form a trough across the front of the door for water to run off.

SAM_1361_zpsseljnnls.jpg

SAM_1362_zpsle5gpkhn.jpg

Then I started working inside the barn.

SAM_1363_zpsurtjmpdt.jpg

The tractor makes it a lot easier to smooth the gravel out and I got it about two thirds done before I quit for the day.

SAM_1374_zpsk65iknfl.jpg

I removed the loft area on either side of the front part of the barn and kept it just over the back area.
There is eight foot of clearance under the loft in the back and it is only about five foot high from the floor of the front area.

SAM_1375_zpscfrbnxpq.jpg

We ran out to our son's place after supper and dug my roller out of storage.
Tomorrow, I'll finish smoothing the the gravel out fill up the roller with water and start rolling the gravel.

SAM_1376_zpsqbvlunil.jpg

The gravel is already solid enough that I can park my truck inside.
This is the first time that I have been able to park it inside since we moved into the house back in January.
I'm going to let the fill sit for a year to settle and then put in a concrete floor next spring.

SAM_1377_zpsawy6p65n.jpg

• jhn9840, olcowhand, wilberj and 20 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,236 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 08:51 PM

Some nasty wood there Ray. Quite impressive the way you fixed the rot and shored it up. Diane and I were wondering how you guys were doing. Nice job on the barn / garage, looks great. Glad to see the R/T still going good. Take care. Glad to see ya back.                                                                                Roger

• jdcrawler, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,020 Thanks
  • 8,796 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 11:30 PM

Nice work. I like the look of that tractor. Good Luck, Rick

• jdcrawler and hamman have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,889 Thanks
  • 44,620 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 04:12 AM

That was a fun job! But it looks very usable now.

• jdcrawler, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,970 Thanks
  • 1,989 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 05:19 AM

What a great job Ray. You really transformed the beast into a real beauty.

• jdcrawler, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,002 Thanks
  • 6,171 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 07:09 AM

Back when that barn was built they didn't think of putting a wood band around the outside first, then run the tin down to it.  Looking real good and will serve you well.  By removing that loft and the fact those are not truss rafters there is not much left in the way of wind bracing.  Might consider that before long as storm time is here.

• jdcrawler, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 12,020 Thanks
  • 8,796 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 09:36 AM

Back when that barn was built they didn't think of putting a wood band around the outside first, then run the tin down to it.  Looking real good and will serve you well.  By removing that loft and the fact those are not truss rafters there is not much left in the way of wind bracing.  Might consider that before long as storm time is here.

Chieffan, that is an excellant engineering point, about the wind bracing. JDCrawler, I hope that you take some time to brace and overbrace the building. The wind loads and snow loads seem to be getting higher with the violent storms that we are seeing these days. Good Luck, Rick

• jdcrawler and hamman have said thanks

#8 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,740 Thanks
  • 1,825 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:28 AM

Chieffan, that is an excellant engineering point, about the wind bracing. JDCrawler, I hope that you take some time to brace and overbrace the building. The wind loads and snow loads seem to be getting higher with the violent storms that we are seeing these days. Good Luck, Rick

Sorry .. but I don't understand how " roof trusses " would make my barn structure stronger than it already is.

Trusses just sit on top of the walls and while they hold the two walls in place, they don't have angled braces that come down and fasten to the inside of the walls so they don't add much horizontal strength to the walls.

If you will look closer at the third photo from the end, you will see that the angled roof truss boards themselves tie all four rows of vertical poles together at the very top of the barn.

Then there are a lot of horizontal bracing boards, tying all four rows of poles together also and forming triangle supports in conjunction with the roof truss boards.

Added to that are a lot boards set in at 45 degrees to the horizontal supports and vertical poles that brace everything even more.

I live in an area where there are a lot of tobacco barns and most of them are built the same way that my barn is built except that they do not have a loft built into them.

They are open from the ground to the roof thru out the whole barn and they have been standing for a very long time.

• olcowhand, wilberj, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 12,020 Thanks
  • 8,796 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 12:54 PM

Sorry .. but I don't understand how " roof trusses " would make my barn structure stronger than it already is.

Trusses just sit on top of the walls and while they hold the two walls in place, they don't have angled braces that come down and fasten to the inside of the walls so they don't add much horizontal strength to the walls.

If you will look closer at the third photo from the end, you will see that the angled roof truss boards themselves tie all four rows of vertical poles together at the very top of the barn.

Then there are a lot of horizontal bracing boards, tying all four rows of poles together also and forming triangle supports in conjunction with the roof truss boards.

Added to that are a lot boards set in at 45 degrees to the horizontal supports and vertical poles that brace everything even more.

I live in an area where there are a lot of tobacco barns and most of them are built the same way that my barn is built except that they do not have a loft built into them.

They are open from the ground to the roof thru out the whole barn and they have been standing for a very long time.

I could not see what bracing that you have but I wanted to second Chieffans' concern. If you have checked on the bracing and are satisfied that is good, then we have nothing to worry about. Don't take the comments as criticism. We aren't there to see it all. We are just concerned for your safety. Friends look out for friends. Good Luck, Rick 

• jdcrawler, hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,740 Thanks
  • 1,825 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 03:37 PM

I could not see what bracing that you have but I wanted to second Chieffans' concern. If you have checked on the bracing and are satisfied that is good, then we have nothing to worry about. Don't take the comments as criticism. We aren't there to see it all. We are just concerned for your safety. Friends look out for friends. Good Luck, Rick 

No offense taken ... just want to reassure you that the structure is sound.

Even more so now when you consider how long it has been sitting there with 75 percent of the outside post rotted away and now they are all repaired.

• wilberj, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,927 Thanks
  • 4,984 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 05:32 PM

There is more bracing in your building than I see in a lot of post frame buildings.

#12 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,952 Thanks
  • 1,491 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 08:26 PM

Good job saving that building, it will be a nice machine barn! Love the R/T tractor as much as your truck!

DAC

#13 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 817 Thanks
  • 468 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 09:18 PM

First ,  nice job , a lot of hard !@#$% work , That looks really nice and ready to be put to uses . . .  Now when that was built I don't think there was a sturcshoul  engineer who sing off on it . But it is standing  and you did  one kick $%^&*(  job  good going. 

Patrick

#14 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,740 Thanks
  • 1,825 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 08:21 PM

Earlier this spring, I had built a 10 x 20 foot lean-to on the back side of my barn and I park my goose-neck trailer in front of it.
I am going to enclose this lean-to and make it my machine tool room for my lathe, mill, drill press, metal benders, etc.  

SAM_1381_zpsn1z5tiet.jpg

I'm going to put a wood floor in the tool room and I'm going to reuse the wood that I have salvaged out of the inside of this barn.
Here is some of the wood down on the lower level, that has the nails pulled out of it.

SAM_1378_zpsfecihwyx.jpg

And some more still up in the loft that has the nails pulled out.

SAM_1379_zpskb5oaee8.jpg

Another stack of wood up in the loft that still needs the nails pulled out of them.

SAM_1380_zps1tivhs4y.jpg

On the upper level, I have taken out a 12 foot deep section of the loft beyond the back left corner of where the concrete floor will be.
Then I used that wood to put in floor joist in the area that extends 12 foot deep beyond the concrete floor.
This floor will be the same level as the concrete floor and will extend into the lean-to at the same level.

The new vertical 2x6 that comes up part way on the left wall, is where the front wall of the lean-to will be.

SAM_1384_zpsd9qfokle.jpg

Looking at these floor joist from the lower level, the opening to the lean-to will be cut into the wall between the first two 6x6 barn post on the right side.
I will most likely park my fork lift in front of this floor area and the forks can extend up underneath it.

SAM_1382_zpsvh2gmfhn.jpg

Edited by jdcrawler, July 18, 2017 - 08:33 PM.

• jhn9840, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,373 Thanks
  • 3,267 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 09:58 PM

What an improvement. I don't think your barn is going anywhere with all the horizontal framing not to mention all the wood brackets on all the posts. Nice tractor & truck too.
  • jdcrawler said thank you