Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Self taught mechanics why do they exsist?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 444 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 11:31 AM

this one will keep laughing for years to come

#17 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,013 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 02:06 PM

So, of you didn't go to school to be a mechanic you shouldn't be working on anything, that is what I get from the original post. Most of what I learned I taught myself through books, manuals, and asking questions, but I don't cut corners, or constantly rig things, but I classify myself as self taught, can't lump all into one category, and I do take some offense to people who think if you are self taught that you are automatically a hack, so there's another side to this as well.
  • Gtractor and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#18 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 02:26 PM

In today's world would James Watt, Thomas Edison, Rudolph Diesel and their like be considered hacks??

Mike 

• ericjr16 and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#19 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,881 Thanks
  • 1,251 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 02:36 PM

sounds like someone has a superiority complex

• adamjd200 and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#20 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,013 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 02:50 PM

We have to remember, the first mechanic, pilot, seamstress, doctor, barber, salesman, were all self taught. In the case of lawyers, the devil spawned them...

Agree on all points, had to laugh at the lawyers part but I'm becoming more and more convinced.
  • 1oldbuzz said thank you

#21 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 218 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 05:11 PM

As a high school dropout who has worked professionally on unix systems and networking for decades, I have run into similar thought many times and have been locked out of some jobs that I was more than qualified for merely because I don't have a degree. When you decide to classify people by where they learned rather that what they know, you can miss out on some incredible opportunities or saddle yourself with someone who passed the tests but can't do squat in the real world.

There are incompetent boobs both with and without a formal education and there are some self-taught people who have taken their field farther than most schools would ever teach.

• Gtractor, LilysDad, ol' stonebreaker and 1 other said thanks

#22 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Agree, dtsh!! Over my working yrs I had to deal with quite a number of mining engineers and geologists and I started noticing a lot seem to have had common sense and logic removed from their thought processes. I don't know if it was caused by genetics or educational environments!!

Mike

• 1oldbuzz said thank you

#23 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,855 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 05:24 PM

Agree, dtsh!! Over my working yrs I had to deal with quite a number of mining engineers and geologists and I started noticing a lot seem to have had common sense and logic removed from their thought processes. I don't know if it was caused by genetics or educational environments!!

Mike

My uncle says book smarts don't make you have common sense. 

• Bolens 1000, ol' stonebreaker, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#24 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,855 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 05:27 PM

I been in the small engine business for 6 years and most I know comes from being self taught. I do have a carreer diploma but it didn't teach more that I didn't all ready know. I work has been a diesel mechanic for 20 years and never had formal training.

• ol' stonebreaker and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,842 Thanks
  • 8,955 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 05:27 PM

We have to remember, the first mechanic, pilot, seamstress, doctor, barber, salesman, were all self taught. In the case of lawyers, the devil spawned them...

Where do telemarketers fit in?

As a high school dropout who has worked professionally on unix systems and networking for decades, I have run into similar thought many times and have been locked out of some jobs that I was more than qualified for merely because I don't have a degree. When you decide to classify people by where they learned rather that what they know, you can miss out on some incredible opportunities or saddle yourself with someone who passed the tests but can't do squat in the real world.

There are incompetent boobs both with and without a formal education and there are some self-taught people who have taken their field farther than most schools would ever teach.

Yes. Oh, Yes!     >sob<  >choke<   That's so beautiful!

#26 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 05:29 PM

I spent 20+ years as an alignment/brake/suspension guy, and at one time while I worked at Sears they had a huge push for everyone to get their ASE certifications, I had all but one of those they wanted me to have by this time anyways.  There was a guy named Ralph that worked there, had been there for ~15 years before me, and was hands down the best alignment guy in the county.  Ralph was a great mechanic but was a slow reader.... he got "just" the certification that they wanted him to get but it took him 3X of taking the test to pass it...  I know there were a couple of sales people and an asst manager that took some of the tests and passed with flying colors but one of those on particular whose name I won't mention, and I am not knocking on women  here (she was the asst manager mentioned above)  but I would not trust that she would know the right end of a screwdriver or hammer, was the "business end"

being able to pass a test really isn't a true indicator of someone's abilities either.

• Gtractor, ol' stonebreaker, ericjr16 and 2 others have said thanks

#27 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,881 Thanks
  • 1,251 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:24 PM

The story my grandparents told me was my dad was 13 and wanted to see what was inside the engine of the family car, so he took it apart. His dad told him to put the SOB back together and it damn well better run when he gets done with it. It took him all night, but he did it. That same guy was the car owner and crew chief of the 2nd place car in the 1963 Knoxville Nationals, which buy the way..... he also built. Take one guess what you can do with your theory.

• Gtractor, ol' stonebreaker, ericjr16 and 1 other said thanks

#28 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,659 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:24 PM

Here in Michigan you need to be certified by the state to work on a street motorcycle for money.  Most of the test was ridiculously simple and there was absolutely nothing about tires, brakes, lights or anything remotely related to the safety of a motorcycle.  The only slightly challenging part of the test was things a machinist needs to know, like how to read a micrometer.

I outsource all my machine shop work so I don't ever read a mic.  Interestingly, the machine shop guy that does read it doesn't need to be certified by the state. :wallbanging:.

• Alc, ol' stonebreaker and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#29 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 444 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:37 PM

Some are taking this a little to personal

that wasn't my intention

I myself am a self taught mechanic

sorry for offending some of you

• MH81 and toppop52 have said thanks

#30 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,855 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:42 PM

Here in Michigan you need to be certified by the state to work on a street motorcycle for money. Most of the test was ridiculously simple and there was absolutely nothing about tires, brakes, lights or anything remotely related to the safety of a motorcycle. The only slightly challenging part of the test was things a machinist needs to know, like how to read a micrometer.

I outsource all my machine shop work so I don't ever read a mic. Interestingly, the machine shop guy that does read it doesn't need to be certified by the state. :wallbanging:.

most people outsource these day. Equipment is too costly and take up too much space.