Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snapper 1855 54" deck and needle bearings and seals?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• Member No: 813
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Ok, I thought I had the right numbers mentioned in some other thread, but apparently I did not. I saw MF 1655 mentioned and thought the numbers for the bearings would be the same.

Not a big deal because I ordered the top 3 bearings and all the other parts I needed from a snapper parts dealer online and got ripped off (but the right parts). However, the needle bearings which go on the bottom of the spindles still elude me. I miced it up, I checked the NSK number in NSK's own documentation, FJ-2516... I thought the Torrington B-168 was the same, but apparently not. It's not a metric bearing anyway from what I can tell. But I also saw an HK-2516 bearing mentioned. This one appears to share the same metric measurements as the NSK FJ-2516 did in the manual (I would have to double-check to be certain, but IIRC they are ID 25mm, OD 32mm, Length 16mm.

The link is here: Amazon.com: HK2516 Needle Bearing 25x32x16 TLA2516Z: Industrial & Scientific , I was just wondering if anyone could confirm for me that this is the correct bearing?

I'm only having issues because apparently the NSK version of this bearing is hard to find, and Motion Industries (a place local to hear that deals in them) was incapable of getting me this bearing or one like it.

The shaft seals were pretty expensive too(like $12 a piece), but I suppose next time I can just look up some generic seals which share the same measurements as the needle bearing, is this correct?

Anyway, aside from all of this, we had to buy a new spindle shaft for the right side of the mower because the one needle bearing catastrophically failed. The seal had fallen out and it wasn't retaining grease anymore, and it mucked up the bearing surface pretty bad. It's either that or having someone grind it down and replace that part of the shaft with a hard surface for the bearing to ride on, which would be a time consuming endeavor. Luckily enough, it was the shorter spindle that we needed and were able to get (the longer 6 inch spindles are no longer available from snapper). But I was considering putting a grease zerk on the spindle housings to make them greasable. My only problem with this is I'm worried greasing it would pop the seal out. Although this tractor lasted a long time before these bearings failed, the fact that at least one of the shafts would be fairly difficult to replace or fix, I'd like to prevent these bearings from failing again in the future.

#2 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 10:41 AM

Mine is a massey 1655 with the 54" mmm and the upper brgs are NTN 6205 LLU and the lower needle brg is INA HK2516
the seal is ppp 25x32x4 I've installed grease fittings into all the spindles on my mower deck and have never had problems with blowing out the seals.One thing you'll need to do is before you install the upper brg {if your putting grease fittings into the spindles} is to remove the dust seal off one side of the upper brg and when you install it make sure its facing downwards into the housing so that it can take grease.Other then that don't over grease [you can hear when it starts to come past the seal] and you'll be good to go.Larry

#3 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• Member No: 813
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Everything went together great, thanks for the info. The snapper's back up and running for now :-P . I discovered a semi-nasty surprise when putting it back together, I opened up the gear box to make sure it had fluid in it, and it only had a thin coat at the bottom. However, it didn't appear to be in bad shape so I put some 90 weight gear oil in there up to the fill hole.

Apparently, one of the people who had this tractor before me didn't understand how to use those clips for holding the deck on in certain spots and replaced some of them with huge, hard to use hairpin cotters. I managed to get one of the old clips working again on the front of the deck, worked great. I'm just not sure whether to blame my grandfather or my brother for that.

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 09:59 PM

Glad you have it back together and working.Good find on the gear box don't want to run them to long with not enough[any] oil.Larry

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:06 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.
Glad we could Help!