• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 06:29 PM

this is kind of along the same lines of the thread I had that was about having the same tractor series but the larger HP version vs the smaller HP version (example Ariens S12H vs an Ariens S16H) at which point do you "not notice" the extra power.... 

I have a NH S14H  (same thing as an Ariens S14H except paint color)  and currently have a 12hp, M12 Kohler in place of the original K321. I have the original K321 here in pieces ready for the machine shop. Rebuildable, didn't blow, just was tired.  

I just picked up a rebuildable M14 and am wondering if I should rebuild that one for the NH, instead... it was originally a 14HP machine and I want to put (at least) a 14HP back in it again...   though the fresh 12hp Magnum seems to be plenty to carry the 48" deck as is....

this is no show piece to be sure. it is a worker. I do not care so much about "matching numbers" as someone with a muscle car might get depending on exactly which car they have...

advantages to magnum mostly have to do with no points and condenser  to futz with, the points on a Kohler are in a PITA spot to get to in that chassis.  though if you use a good set of them it isn't real often that they need messing with.

also the magnums had the larger exh valve where my original engine has the smaller one that some old Kohler K series ones had....

a rebuild will cost bout the same,  I have a Magnum in there now, so I know it is a virtual bolt in and fits the same with no frame mods, etc....

which would you guys run in there???? 

I got the Magnum figuring that "worst case," I could pull the bearing plate flywheel starter and tins off and swap to a K series to basically be a Magnum.... whether it be this engine or not. I could (and still might)  save this engine for later.

one bad thing about the M14 is that all the spec numbers and serial numbers are faded off of the original foil sticker so I really don't know exactly what I have besides the other sticker on the shroud that says "KOHLER MAGNUM 14".... and the K321 cast into the PTO side of the block just above the crank.  so I know it is a 14 and not a 12 or a 16....

Edited by dodge trucker, July 12, 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#2 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 232 Thanks
  • 154 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 11:05 PM

For my purposes, the only time more HP makes any real difference is when I'm running something off the PTO, which honestly is pretty often on my mower and infrequently on the other. On the later one, the 7HP is more than enough to accomplish what I need from it, pulling implements is more traction dependent than HP and pushing a snowplow doesn't take a lot of HP either.

I wouldn't think 2 more HP would add anything appreciable unless you were already running a deck or other implement which could benefit from a little more oomph.

As an aside, I spent my early years in K3, grew up on W Oak, near where Meadowgold used to be, and still have a few family in the area. They just don't shoot the bull in K3 like they used to  :P

Edited by dtsh, July 12, 2017 - 11:07 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 12:01 AM

For my purposes, the only time more HP makes any real difference is when I'm running something off the PTO, which honestly is pretty often on my mower and infrequently on the other. On the later one, the 7HP is more than enough to accomplish what I need from it, pulling implements is more traction dependent than HP and pushing a snowplow doesn't take a lot of HP either.

I wouldn't think 2 more HP would add anything appreciable unless you were already running a deck or other implement which could benefit from a little more oomph.

As an aside, I spent my early years in K3, grew up on W Oak, near where Meadowgold used to be, and still have a few family in the area. They just don't shoot the bull in K3 like they used to :P

Agreed, it is amazing what u CAN do with 7, or 8 hp, been there, but, try triple that power just 1nce. The gearing/ground speed can make anything possible, just depends on how fast you wanna have an Adult Beverage;)

And I'm not talkin Kohler Courage stuff.

You would be surprised what 2HP can do, Electric, Gas, Steam, Diesel......Remember how the term "horsepower" came into play?

Bottom line, do what you're budget permits, and what works best for you!

There both basically the same great engine, and work well. Good luck.

Edited by stiemmy, July 13, 2017 - 01:15 AM.

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:11 AM

not talking which HP version to run here, but whether to run the newer version w/o points  or the original engine , whether

for  originality sake or some other reason that I am not thinking of, right now?

will the newer engine rated the same (same boreXstroke and  same general construction, same carb, except for that ignition difference and larger exhaust valve)

old K321 rated at 14hp  and M14 also called a 14HP, if both rebuilt back to stock would one be expected to produce more actual power than the other?

I'm comparing 2 cast iron Kohler singles here, both have horizontal shaft, not a single and a twin or  a Kohler vs some other brand, etc...

being how close these engines are to each other I wonder if they actually tested the Magnums or if they just slapped the sticker on the newer one going off of "what the past version did"?

either way I'm needing to pull apart and send to machine shop and buy rebuild parts, I have both here so would it really make a difference performance wise?  

on living where I do, when I 1st came here I lived down in SE corner of town, now I am 3 miles west  out among cornfields.... like it here a lot better, lived in my 1st house here 5-1/2 years, been in this one for 19 now.... grew up about 25 miles north of here, Mom is still there.

Edited by dodge trucker, July 13, 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,580 Thanks
  • 9,395 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:32 AM

I have recently purchased a '89 Ingersoll 3014 with a M14. One annoyance I'm going to address in due time is the carb which has no adjustment on the main jet. I'll replace it with the earlier Kohler carb. 

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 12:17 PM

Yeah I know. The one that I have has a walbro on it too and the throttle shaft is way worn. I should have a Carter that will work. I have 2 12hp magnums. Came from identical woods ZTR's. The one that came with the walbro is still on its original machine as delivered from the factory, the other one is now on a different machine. Surprising enough, the walbro still works and runs great. I have not had to touch that carb other than to tighten up the mounting bolts and dump out the water in the bowl, they don't run well on water. I have had that machine for 10 years now and have mowed ALOT of grass with it most of it not my own and it was well used when I got it. That machine is grounded right now but not because of the engine I need a hydro for it, left one is done for, with only 1 hydro working it only wants to do donuts to the left... I have been trying to find a hydro that don't cost what I paid for the whole machine 10 years ago.
Nother story.
But that M12 has yet to let me down.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 10:55 AM

So again,. You have a machine that had a 14hp Kohler on it. You have a choice between a k321 and an M14 sitting under the bench.both same condition, both will bolt right up. Either way you gotta rebuild whichever one you use. Which one would you use? Things like carbs can be swapped between them so walbro or Carter is not a concern.