#1 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 5,467 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 06:08 PM

Been stopping at Ott's Sales at Service every chance we could when Dad and I went by the place on the way home from another tractor buy. The old boy had some great story's to tell of the years in the business and other parts of his life the man new his stuff. It been a number of years sense the last stop it seemed every time we tried to no one was there. It was a big bummer when we learned he passed last fall and his stuff was being auction off wish we could of got to see him one more time. Amazing to see 55 plus years of history in a building and we were lucky to be a part of it in a small way. Auction was hit and miss for me I should bid a little more and could of owned some of the stuff I wanted but a little late for that now. Did pick up some good stuff even tho I missed out on some stuff. Finally found a engine for my one Bolens convertible I was happy to get that! Also got a generator that I think will look nice hooked up to one of my tube frames and its NOS! Dad picked up the Kohler sign and also a nice 50 ton press. Long hot day did not turn out bad. Fyi I am a month behind on post been real busy. This auction was on May 13. Hope to make more post on what been going on in the next couple days.

fgh1234112ljkljklhfgdf 050.jpg  fgh1234112ljkljklhfgdf 051.jpg  fgh1234112ljkljklhfgdf 052.jpg  fgh1234112ljkljklhfgdf 053.jpg  fgh1234112ljkljklhfgdf 048.jpg  fgh1234112ljkljklhfgdf 049.jpg  ff 013 bird video (16).jpg  ff 013 bird video (17).jpg  ff 013 bird video (18).jpg  ff 013 bird video (19).jpg  ff 013 bird video (20).jpg

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 07:02 PM

Nice buys!

Its a shame these old dealerships are closing down more frequently each year :(

• wilberj, Bolens800uk and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 firedudetl1 ONLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 43 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 07:02 AM

the shame is no one is buying the business to get it going - owners get old and pass away, family has either have no sons/daughters interested if there are children, or the children have become successful in other fields and aren't interested in the family business that supported them.....

probably no one knew the business was "going under" so no one to buy/save it...

• wilberj and logmillingman have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 07:31 AM

the shame is no one is buying the business to get it going - owners get old and pass away, family has either have no sons/daughters interested if there are children, or the children have become successful in other fields and aren't interested in the family business that supported them.....

Once the older guys are gone there wont be many shops left, for the most part the new generation has no interest in this industry any more, 5 of the major shops around here have been looking for employees for the parts counter and full time mechanics for about 5 years straight, no one wants to get their hands dirty anymore. :(

• wilberj, Bolens800uk and logmillingman have said thanks

#5 firedudetl1 ONLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 43 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 07:36 AM

tough to text and search with grease/dirt on your hands, might get your phone dirty...

at one point, the US graduated engineers and technical people, now we get lawyers......

• Bolens 1000, wilberj and logmillingman have said thanks

#6 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 338 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:24 AM

Time to get the new generation off the video games and into the garage fixing things!

• Bolens 1000, wilberj and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 5,467 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:03 PM

Ott was still off and open running the place in the summer last fall he passed away.   But I do get your point.    

• Bolens 1000 and logmillingman have said thanks

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 12:00 PM

Nice finds I love that little engine you got. The generator is a really cool attachment also, NOS is unbelievable great job saving that one.

• wilberj said thank you

#9 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,115 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 12:58 PM

Once the older guys are gone there wont be many shops left, for the most part the new generation has no interest in this industry any more, 5 of the major shops around here have been looking for employees for the parts counter and full time mechanics for about 5 years straight, no one wants to get their hands dirty anymore. :(

It's the same problem over here in the UK as well. Very few old school mechanics around now and most are part fitters using electronic diagnostic equipment
  • wilberj said thank you

#10 BOLENS-SIMONUK ONLINE  

BOLENS-SIMONUK
  • Member No: 87291
  • 11 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 02:12 PM

Totally agree Bolens800UK, I work with plant and agricultural machinery and the apprentices we get now huff and puff when you ask them to tidy up, or do anything to earn there wages. no one wants to learn this trade anymore, it is a great shame. Good mechanics are few and far between in the UK.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#11 heliosuk ONLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 136 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted July 22, 2017 - 04:45 PM

Don't get me going on this guys as blood pressure is high enough as it is!!. But unfortunately it's very true and as I work internationally can confirm the problem is not just in the UK and 1st world countries. Am starting to see it occurring in second world countries too. At least third world have the nounce to work it out themselves and use good old traditional methods of fault finding and repair.

• Bolens800uk said thank you