Since the transmission in my 1053 is making a bit of noise when it is in High Range I decided to repair another three gear cluster with a damaged 15 tooth gear using a new gear and welding it on to the shaft. I am hoping to replace the three gear cluster with the welded gear shortly with this cluster to see if the transmission is any quieter with the new gear. A pdf of the information on how to do this is loaded in the manuals section - http://gardentractor...e-transmission/ . Thought I would do a post on it as it may be of interest to current and future Tubeframe owners with the 6 speed manual hi / lo range transmission.
Got the new gear and the damaged cluster as you can see in Pictures1 and 2. Removed the needle bearings and gave the cluster a good cleaning with the wire brush to make sure the other two gears will still in good shape. I believe this is the original cluster out of my 1053 and it has been sitting around for a while and had a bit of surface rust on the teeth but they cleaned up nice. Machine the tooth end of the gear so that it was the correct tooth width, formed a collar on the outer edge and cut a taper where it will be welded to the cluster shaft. Cut the cluster shaft to remove the damaged gear using a hack saw, faced the end of the shaft and formed a taper on the edge where it will be welded to the gear. Did a test fit of the gear and went to insert the shaft I had made up for the last one I did but found out the end of the cluster with the two large gears was .675" inside so the shaft would not fit in. Decided to chance pressing the new gear collar inside the cluster shaft and tacked the gear in four spots and checked it for run out - had about .002" which looked good so I welded the gear on to the shaft and let it cool. Set it back in the lathe and checked it for run out and with the two ends running true there is about .005" run out on the middle shaft which I think should work ok - things must have distorted a little bit from the heat of the welding. Turned the welded area down in the lathe and then used that area for the steady rest to run on while I machined the end of the gear to the correct length. Still have to turn the I.D. to the correct size in the gear and then machine the inside step for the needle bearing. I have also attached a very short video of the cluster running in the lathe after I welded the new gear on.
Edited by 29 Chev, July 12, 2017 - 05:20 PM.