• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swmoCardsfan OFFLINE  

swmoCardsfan
  • Member No: 87612
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 09:04 PM

Hello to all!  I have a curious little find that I just picked up.  I figured it to not be much, but it may be more than I thought.  It is a small Montgomery Ward riding mower that looks to be in overall good condition.  I dug it out of a friend's barn.  I went looking for a manual and struck out on the model number - TMO-33906A.  I learned enough to know it is MTD built.  I'm guessing it was built in the early 80's, but I'm not sure.  It has an 11hp Briggs & Stratton with a 5 speed tranny and a 38 inch deck.  Curious to see that it uses a motorcycle battery.  Could it be changed over to use a regular lawn & garden battery?  Looking for any information I can find.  Here are a couple pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00002.JPG
  • DSC00004.JPG

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,866 Thanks
  • 1,169 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 02:25 AM

Nice find , I would measure the battery box and try to fit in a lawn and garden battery , much cheaper then motorcycle battery.

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,263 Thanks
  • 4,638 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 04:19 AM

:welcometogttalk: 

A motorcycle battery is fine for a GT, but as stated above....a lawn & garden tractor battery is less expensive and will work just as well...12 volts (DC) is 12 volts (DC) no matter how you look at it! The cranking and charge rate are what really matters.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,551 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:13 AM

I had a couple of similar machines.....a larger battery would not fit in mine. 

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,323 Thanks
  • 44,896 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:26 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I've been through your town a few times going to Kentucky.

#6 swmoCardsfan OFFLINE  

swmoCardsfan
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 06:55 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I've been through your town a few times going to Kentucky.

You must not have blinked when you went by or you would have missed us!

• KennyP said thank you

#7 swmoCardsfan OFFLINE  

swmoCardsfan
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the thoughts about the battery.  I have not measured yet, but my only concern would be the height.  Width and depth are an easy fit.

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:52 AM

I had one of those from the late 80's it said Wards Power Kraft.  Bought it for 100 bucks had a small front plow and weights/chains still nib.  Got a parts machine for another 100 with a deck.  It had a lot of defective safety switches but they were easy to bypass.  Used it year round in maine, never had a hard time starting it, forget what size battery tho.  Neat little machine but once they wear out not worth rebuilding, i sold mine with the house i was living in at the time, yours looks to have some hours on it, good luck

also with that oil leak it might want to throw deck belts, mine was dry and still threw the belt sometimes.  my parts tractor had a bad main seal causing the leak, one of the problems with a vertical shaft is when the seal goes out so does the oil in a big way...

Edited by Oldford, July 12, 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#9 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,689 Thanks
  • 4,467 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:52 AM

Welcome aboard!

#10 mowerboy90 OFFLINE  

mowerboy90
  • Member No: 88394
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 08:49 PM

http://manuals.mtdpr...m/mtd/Public.do

type in that model number and 1 for the serial number and you can download the manual. i just looked at it and it looks like its a 84. i just picked up a 78 garden tractor. tough to find all the info you want on these things lol