Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tips on keeping the belt from the mule drive to the deck on?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 07:21 PM

I am not real familiar withe the Cubs and the mule drive setup yet, I haven't had time to really mess with it or study it but today after checking out the lift cylinder I decided to give the 147 a go at mowing a small section and it did great until I went to turn around and come back the other way and I could hear the blades quit spinning.

I shut it down and got off to check it out and the belt jumped off the pulley on the deck from the mule drive. I got it back on but didn't try it again. I figured I would ask questions first.

I noticed on the mule drive that the one pulley is spring loaded to keep the tension but the other pulley has an adjustment nut on it. I am guessing that the tension needs to be set first with the one with the adjustment bolt and then the spring loaded one helps keep it there in between adjustments.

The adjustment nut on the bolt was only on with about 4 threads sticking out and the spring wasn't extended at all. I adjusted the nut a few threads tighter and now the spring is extended a little bit. I will have to try it again but I wanted to see what you guys thought about it?

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:47 PM

I'm not sure it's THE way to do it, but I've always aligned the lead-in side of the belt. then tensioned the spring side. The belt where it's being pulled up onto the PTO clutch needs to be aligned to where the belt won't ride on the rear side of the PTO pulley, or the front edge for that matter. It needs to be fairly centered. The other side doesn't matter much as the belt will leave the pulley easy no matter the angle. When the belt rubs at an angle going onto the PTO pulley, it can ride up & off. The spring tension side needs to clearly have space between all the spring coils...not a lot, but some between every coil. A belt with a busted cord will roll off no matter what you do.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 04:49 AM

Thank you for the good tips Daniel. I will do a little more digging on it this weekend and see what I come up with.