Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wisconsin Robin ey25w 6.5hp in place of old briggs 7hp?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • Member No: 87447
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hi all. I have a 1965 Briggs and Stratton 7HP side shaft engine in a little Toro suburban.

The engine is on its last leg.  I want to go through and get it rebuilt but time and funds won't allow it for right now.

Over the years I acquired a Wisconsin Robin from a old Yazoo walk behind mower that was backed over by the lawn care company that owned it.  It's a ey25W model that's rated at 6.5HP from what I gather from the net..  It's in good running shape and everything matches up to my Briggs as far as crank size and position.

Any thoughts on if this would be a worth while replacement for the old Briggs on the little Toro riding mower? It's the fuji teledyne Flathead version.

Any thoughts or experience with these engines?

#2 sharkman OFFLINE  

sharkman
  • Member No: 34759
  • 293 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 01:46 PM

I have one on a generator that has no spark.  I priced coils and they are expense, around $140.  

#3 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 01:57 PM

Aftermarket coils are all over eBay for less than $30. For the 3-15 HP models.  Match up your coil to the ones on there and grab one.

#4 sharkman OFFLINE  

sharkman
  • 293 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 02:24 PM

Please post a link.  The Robin-Wisconsin EY series a different animal . Not the same as a Briggs or Tecumseh.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,835 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 02:48 PM

Hi all. I have a 1965 Briggs and Stratton 7HP side shaft engine in a little Toro suburban.

The engine is on its last leg.  I want to go through and get it rebuilt but time and funds won't allow it for right now.

Over the years I acquired a Wisconsin Robin from a old Yazoo walk behind mower that was backed over by the lawn care company that owned it.  It's a ey25W model that's rated at 6.5HP from what I gather from the net..  It's in good running shape and everything matches up to my Briggs as far as crank size and position.

Any thoughts on if this would be a worth while replacement for the old Briggs on the little Toro riding mower? It's the fuji teledyne Flathead version.

Any thoughts or experience with these engines?

If it only costs you alittle time and you don't have to modify the original Toro, I'd say to go for it. The horse power difference is negligible. Good Luck, Rick

• MolonLabe said thank you

#6 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Please post a link.  The Robin-Wisconsin EY series a different animal . Not the same as a Briggs or Tecumseh.

I must be looking at the wrong ones. I thought mine was external.

#7 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 08:36 PM

If it only costs you alittle time and you don't have to modify the original Toro, I'd say to go for it. The horse power difference is negligible. Good Luck, Rick

From basic measurements. It should be a bolt up situation.  Might even be able to use my starter generator for it  Even though the robin dang near starts just by looking at it.

There wouldn't be any instance that I would cut any of the toro up that's for sure. I know it isn't worth much but that sometimes doesn't matter.

Edited by Deezil, July 10, 2017 - 09:13 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 08:53 PM

In a pinch I would buy a Honda g150 g200 coil and stuff into it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• coil.jpg

• sharkman said thank you

#9 sharkman OFFLINE  

sharkman
  • 293 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 09:33 AM

I may give it a try.  I think i have one of those sitting around!

#10 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 09:45 AM

I may give it a try.  I think i have one of those sitting around!

They have the later style with the condenser built onto it as well on eBay.   I remember while back guys on Oldminibikes.com using these when robins were more plentiful.   Supposedly only needed to open the mounting holes up and sometimes add a longer plug wire.

• sharkman said thank you