3 replies to this topic

#1 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 06:34 AM

Hello all,

Wasn't sure if this should be under the specific Husqvarna section since most brands have electric PTO's anyway...

I have a late 90's YTH 180 with about 900 hours, yesterday when I was going through some semi-high grass, a large puff of smoke appeared from under the front of the mower, it bogged down, then stalled, all in about 3 seconds.

The engine won't turn over now, I removed all of the belts and spark plugs, but still wont turn. It tries, but the PTO clutch tries to turn with it, hitting the stop tabs, which is why I think it won't turn over.

Tonight, I'm going to try to take the PTO off and see if it will crank then, but I'm just trying to understand this a little more.

Would I be correct in thinking that the clutch is frozen, and won't disengage?

Thanks,

Fedora 

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,073 Thanks
  • 44,094 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 06:50 AM

Sounds like it to me! If you can get it off, may be able to put new bearings in it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,589 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 12:06 PM

Should just have to pull the belt to test if the pulley spins with the engine so what... Just to test your idea.

And after you pull the belt but before trying to start the engine grab the pulley and it should spin free (PTO is disengaged at that point) if not then yeah it seized.

#4 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for the help...its toast. Ended up ordering one from Xtreme outdoor power equipment.