• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • Member No: 86303
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Hey guys, I received a 7119 from my father in law with the kohler magnum 18 and he always told me to remember to turn the fuel off or it'll flood the crank. Well I had the mower serviced and the guy found the float to be in upside down. My thought was this was the cause for the fuel in the crank so I left the fuel on. Well now I'm hydro locked and have a crankcase full of fuel.
My question is, which is it likely more to be? The carb or the fuel pump? The guy I had work on it is good at what he does and had the carb apart, which makes me think fuel pump. But I don't know.
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 BigFlash ONLINE  

BigFlash

• Member No: 7324
  • 244 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:20 PM

My suggestion would be to remove the carb and fuel pump but leave them connected to the fuel supply. Suspend them in a manner that is similar to how they would be on the engine and turn the fuel on, and see which one leaks.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,785 Thanks
  • 960 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 08:42 PM

My guess is the fuel pump wouldn't hydro lock the engine.

• BoilerBrown said thank you

#4 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 08:58 PM

I guess when I tear into it tomorrow, if I have fuel in just the crank I'll assume fuel pump. If it's in the cylinders and the crank, then carb.
But I think too full of a crankcase can hydro lock a motor, right? Not just a full cylinder?

Edited by BoilerBrown, July 09, 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,321 Thanks
  • 2,985 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 01:13 AM

Fuel pump can and will completely fill the crank case with fuel if the diaphragm has a hole or crack. It will siphon all the gas out of the tank.

But if it's not getting gas in the oil while it's running then I would check and make sure the float isn't junk. If the float is junk it will have gas inside of it. Shake the float and if you hear liquid sloshing around inside it then it's junk and needs replaced.

If it has a Kohler brand Carburetor made by Carter then I would put a good carb kit into it. Replace the Needle and Seat and gaskets and reset the float level. If it has a Walbro carb on it I wish you good luck. I don't have much luck rebuilding the cheap Walbro carbs on Kohler engines.

Kohler part number 25-757-02-S is the carb kit with the needle,seat and gaskets.Bunch on ebay really cheap.$10-$20 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com...5702-S&_sacat=0

If you want you can get aftermarket (made in china) carb for the M18 pretty cheap.$27 shipped ( but it might require some modification to the linkage ) 

http://www.ebay.com/...zkAAOSwiONYLd~e

Edited by EricFromPa, July 10, 2017 - 01:15 AM.

• boyscout862, chieffan and BoilerBrown have said thanks

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 2,292 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:56 AM

It's the fuel pump, and it's extremely common on opposed twin Kohlers.  I use the fuel shutoff religiously.  I've changed out oil so many times.  I also had a spark plug hit the ceiling in the shop once, when I tried to fire that baby up.  What a gas-soaked disaster that was...

Keep an eye on that oil.  I sniff the dipstick often on all of mine.  They will pop the crank seals if they run when overfilled, and that's a fricken mess too.  

• chieffan and BoilerBrown have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,999 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 12:49 PM

Have an Onan 16 hp twin that leaked fuel into the crankcase.  Started to mow and oil and fuel blew out the dip stick.  Shut it down and saved the engine.  Now have fuel shutoffs on all the tractors and use them all the time.  Needle will stick shut if the fuel is left on some times.  Now I turn the fuel off and run the carb down before I turn the key off.  These old engines, even with new parts and pieces have all kind of little perks about them.

• secondtry and BoilerBrown have said thanks

#8 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 05:19 AM

Thanks guys. I drained everything out yesterday, gave her a fresh oil change and filter, new plugs and a new shut off on the outlet side of the filter and she runs good as new again. I guess I won't look too far into why it happens and just use the shutoff like I normally would. I hate the plastic shutoff valves though. I think I am going to order a metal one since I can't find any in local stores. 

Thanks for the responses. 

#9 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 931 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 08:10 AM

I got some metal shut offs from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think they might have some cheaper ones.

#10 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 112 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 09:34 AM

I got a metal shut off from NAPA.

#11 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 755 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 20, 2017 - 05:40 PM

Put the shut off before the filter. Makes changing the filter much easier!!!!!

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 2,292 posts

Posted July 21, 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thanks guys. I drained everything out yesterday, gave her a fresh oil change and filter, new plugs and a new shut off on the outlet side of the filter and she runs good as new again. I guess I won't look too far into why it happens and just use the shutoff like I normally would. I hate the plastic shutoff valves though. I think I am going to order a metal one since I can't find any in local stores. 

Thanks for the responses. 

Curious why the plastic on'es don't do it for you?  I have never had an issue.  I have had some of the metal ones bind, to the point you need to put pliers on to turn the valve.

#13 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 06:17 AM

Curious why the plastic on'es don't do it for you?  I have never had an issue.  I have had some of the metal ones bind, to the point you need to put pliers on to turn the valve.

The plastic one I removed was the cause of my issue.  It was crushed and limiting my fuel supply.  

#14 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 08:41 AM

The plastic shutoff on my 112 leaked by. I went looking for a metal one, about $15 at the locale motorcycle shop. Made in U.S.A. Some times you have to do extra leg work to get what you want. Don