#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,270 Thanks
  • 7,657 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 03:27 PM

Sunstar rear in Sun Star says type F. What tractor fluid should I get? F is old s hool, harder to find too.
  • Jazz said thank you

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,526 Thanks
  • 1,824 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 03:36 PM

You can get type F anywhere, even @ Wally World!!!

Or, the napa brand universal Hy-Tran is good stuff, but more expensive.

Edited by stiemmy, July 09, 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,629 Thanks
  • 5,935 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 03:55 PM

Use a brand name you can get locally and use Hi-Tran, Transdraulic, or whatever name that company has for it.  I use Northland brand as a local repair shop has carried it for years in everything from 2 gal jugs up to & including the 250 gal mini bulk tanks.  Lot of the bigger farmers use the mini bulks, set up by Northland.  Transdraulic on top and diesel oil on the bottom. 

Edited by chieffan, July 09, 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,923 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 05:30 PM

I had a Sears SS12Hydro once and I remember it said to use Type F and "nothing else"  but there are things out now that were not available then.... IDK what brand of hydro that thing had in it too long ago.

My Woods 1250 ZTR suggests Woods hydraulic oil but at $35 a quart no way....  it has Eaton 700 series hydros  as I remember I used ATF... more specifically I put Dexron in it when I did a flush... I read somewhere that was what was recommended, I don't remember if it was Wheel Horse or who but it was another manufacturer that ran the Eaton 700....

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,270 Thanks
  • 7,657 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 05:55 PM

Well, bought generic Mile Master 303 Hydraulic Fluid.  Says for 70's and older equipment mostly.  My thoughts are if it has OIL in it, it will work, anything!  They had Shell Rotella on sale in 2 gals, bought out, I would have gotten that, like the oils.   It was $29 but the % gal was $65, too much. Only need 6qts.  One I bought was 5 Gallon and $29, so will see what happens. Didn't get filter yet, no catalog to look up, haven't got old off, manual does not say what number, just flow rate and NO anti-flo backfill was needed.  So, will pull that later and check auto store here. To drain have to pull a big hose. What was wrong with a plug, sheesh!

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,131 Thanks
  • 785 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 06:25 PM

As i recall it went type A- type F- Dexron 2/3...

• Jazz said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 5,796 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 08:39 PM

I use Type F as it is and stays thinner than Hy-Tran in cold temperatures making it easier on the hydro when it's cold. Don't like listening to a growling hydro when it is below freezing outside.  :(

Edited by Cvans, July 09, 2017 - 08:39 PM.

• Oldford said thank you

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,454 Thanks
  • 30,592 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 09:22 PM

Dexron III is what I use unless the hydro is worn, then I use either 303 hytran or 30wt motor oil.

• Cvans and Oldford have said thanks

#9 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,112 Thanks
  • 1,619 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 06:25 AM

That has a Sundstrand pump and peerless axle. I run either 15w40 or hytran. It seems pretty flexible on what fluid. All machines i own have the same pump. Some inline and some U style. You have the U style like Deeres. This Deere has hytran from Napa. That's what Deere calls for although I don't think it matters. My Masseys all have 15w40 rotella in them. I used that after advice from Olcowhand. Also, here's the Napa filter needed.
20170710_072339.jpg 20170710_072142.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, July 10, 2017 - 12:40 PM.

• olcowhand, Cvans and Oldford have said thanks

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,270 Thanks
  • 7,657 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 05:49 PM

Well, went and spent more $$ on the Real F trans oil. Darn stuff was over $5 each and the NEWER Dex/Merc stuff the guy said should work was only $3.99 each.  Got a filter over to the Mower shop, looks good. There was even a couple of those used, had to have tractor model numbers to get right one, sheesh!  I pulled the old, nothing written on it or stamped. Looks like might have been orig, sure been long time at least. Work on it later, tractor show this week.  Winamac, IN.  Now looking at weather and asking around site, not looking good for flooding issues and such. Hope it even stays going, was canceled one year with flooding. River wraps right around the park it is in.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,270 Thanks
  • 7,657 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:22 PM

Took canopy to park today and set it up, weather wasn't bad, but better as we were leaving, thanks, ha!  At home went out and drained the hydro trans on the Sun Star. Mine had plug in bottom, the later manual I had, the show removing big hose. I like the plug much better. Anyway, got out almost 5 qts. I measured it. Capacity is 6, so not too bad. WAS pretty dark, think dirty  too, looking at things in the containers I was measuring with. Last bit out was little greyer and thicker, maybe that is metal bits?  Didn't really seem like I've seen on car xmissions, so maybe just sludge. I put 5 qts back in and started, and turned wheels and raised lift and worked it a bit to get traveling in there. Seemed fine. I then put in that last qt, and looked at the tube on back and it seemed about what manual said should be, so good to go. I then took it out and ran around yard both directions, F and R I mean. Then took it wide open down my road and back and all is nice. I'm gonna like this one. Found paint I'm gonna try on it, see my other posts for that info. Will be a Mean Green Machine soon!

• MH81, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#12 foundryratjim OFFLINE  

foundryratjim
  • Member No: 86083
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 28, 2017 - 10:22 AM

I use amsoil super shift in my stuff instead of type f.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk