• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 09:23 AM

Anyone have one of the old cordwood saw attachments (or the remains of one) that they would part with ?  Reasonable ?  Or good drawings of mounting & such ?

I could build one if I had an idea of where & how they mounted to the frame & such .... & I could find a big enough blade ... (24" or bigger)

I'm pretty sure if I build one ... it would belt to the front electric clutch that I have put on my old "Short Hood " 71  1614.  Would make life a lot easier than a belt in the "Hog Head" or a partable "Link Belt".

Anyone have a blade ?

~Glenn

• chieffan said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,852 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 09:34 AM

They are dangerous. I used to know several guys that lost part of a pinkys when they'd get cut by the blade. The first PK that I worked on belonged to a friend who survived WWII unscathed but lost a finger to one of those saws. One just sold, off of CL in my area, this passed week, he was asking $150 but it was only partly there. A 14 hp may have trouble with a 24" blade, that will make it even more dangerous.

They are an interesting attachment to add to your collection but please don't use it. Good Luck, Rick

I needed to do something with a lot of brush and bending with a chainsaw was killing my back. I picked up a sorta working radial arm saw for $35 and used it. I found that the rollers in the arm were rusty and out of alignment. Some cleaning and adjustment, and it now works great for lumber.

Edited by boyscout862, July 09, 2017 - 09:38 AM.

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,724 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hi Glenn, do you have the cord wood saw PDF that's on Larry's thumb drive? Just looking at that it looks to me the saw is bolted to the tractor frame and looking at the picture looks like its a about a 24" blade. I would think with some fabricating it could be run off the front PTO.  As boyscout 862 posted they can be dangerous but you can also saw a lot of wood in short order with one. Finding a saw blade may take some hunting and a good one will not be cheap, I think if you really want one the best idea would be to find a PK one and adapt it to your idea. 

• propane1 and Glenn Ayers have said thanks

#4 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:07 PM

Don't have  ... nor have I seen the file on the cordwood saw.   I'd sure like to have a looky-see at it.

Thank for all the concern guys ... but I'm 62 years old ... have ran all types of machinery & heavy equipment all of my life ... still have all my appendages & plan on keeping them .... unless I get stupid enough to stick my fingers into places that bite.

Life is full of all kinds of dangers ... it just helps if you are a little smarter than the machinery you are trying to run.

I have an old cast iron "Laundry Stove" (kinda like a caboose stove)  ... that will only take about 6" long chunks of wood.   The stove is in a closed-in corner of my 18' x 24' picnic shelter.     I just burn this stove on cool evenings when we like to sit outside ... or in the winter if we want to go out & enjoy the snow & brew a cup of tea or hot chocolate on it.

Cutting 6" inch chunks off of split firewood with a chainsaw is way too wasteful  & a real PIA.

Next time I cut firewood, I'm going to slice off 6" long chunks right from the tree trunk ... then split them later.

I would still like to have a cordwood saw ... whether it's PK powered or not.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:16 PM

Here is a link to one that is in the manuals section that may help you - http://gardentractor...y-cordwood-saw/   .  Looks like it is on a David Bradley walk behind.

• Glenn Ayers said thank you

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,724 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:28 PM

Hi Glenn, actually trying to cut 6" pieces of wood with a chain saw is probably just about as dangerous anyway, when I was a ot younger we burned wood to heat the house and a buzz / chord wood saw was used all the time we cut lots & lots of wood its fast way to saw but you have to be alert and careful. I'll attach the chordwood saw manual

Attached File  Cordwood Saw.pdf   564.33KB   26 downloads

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 04:09 AM

Thanks "29"  & MNGB  !

I couldn't get the David Bradley link to open (I've looked at too many files for today ??? )

MNGB ... You are exactly right about trying to cut 6" pieces off of a piece of 2.5' long split.   Standing on the length with one foot ... while it's flopping around & the saw chain is buzzing 6" from my foot.   Needless to say ... I didn't cut many 6" chunks before I stopped.    WAY more dangerous than a cordsaw.   

I actually ended up cutting a few wheelbarrow loads by using my old Sears 10" Radial Arm saw as BoyScout mentioned.   He would have probably had a heart attack though .... because I'm running a 12" blade on it with no guard.     I had to use the 12" when I was making yard art items.  The dang saw motor was in the way of cutting thru 3" Landscape timbers when using the 10" blade.   Even the 12" was a PIA & had to flip the firewood over to finish some of the cuts.

The PK Cordwood saw document will be very helpful if I decide to build one.   It probably won't look much like the PK unit ... as it will most likely be an open saw shaft mandrel on pillowblock bearings .... run the jackshaft from the front of the tractor , off of the electromagnetic clutch (with a switch mounted on the saw unit).   I may also end up using an "easier to find" 14" saw blade.  Most likely will have to end up ratio-ing up the pulleys .. to get my  blade tip speed up near the speed of the larger (24") blade.

This whole plan may fall by the wayside when I start cutting some more firewood.   It will be much simpler to just cut 6" chunks while I'm cutting the tree up.

~G

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,245 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 07:43 AM

This is for a DB walk behind but you might be able to fine one near you and modify it can't post a link in here but this one is only $150 , 24" blade

Attached Thumbnails

• 00V0V_2zqY32KSlfr_1200x900.jpg

• MNGB and Glenn Ayers have said thanks

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,724 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hi I bet one could modify that to work on a PK about 80% of the fabircating is done.

• Glenn Ayers said thank you