• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cstmcraftsmanbuild OFFLINE  

cstmcraftsmanbuild

• Member No: 4240
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Ok so heres my plan. i found a late 90's Craftsman 18hp GT its a kohler opposed twin, nice running engine in the trash a few months back. anyway the deck was shot, so i picked it up with the intentions of putting a plow on it for the winter, or making it into a racing tractor :P Plans change haha...I used to own a early 80's JD 314 that had a curtis cab i restored and the 54 snowblade...i loved the thing. i sold a year or two because of financial reasons.

With that being said, i am now in the process of making this craftsman that i got into a SNOW BEAST! lol Im building a winter cab from scratch, no storebought garbage i am making this cab completely myself...i will put up pictures soon of the progress. it is going to be almost air tight so that i stay nice and warm in the cold, along with plenty of windows for max 360 visibility. Lights wiper radio will be added later, as well as a heater im going to make that will use the hot air from the muffler can(i will also putting a stack on this to get the exhaust gases up and over the cab) Now onto the engine/ front end...I am definitley getting a 2-stage snowblower, hands down, and possibly even a snowplow if i can get enough funding ;P But heres where i get into needing advice from people on here about what i should do. I want to get a hydraulic pump big enough, that i can run off the pto of the engine, that will enable me to raise and lower the snowblower via hydraulic valve inside the cab, and also have a high-flow hydraulic outlet in the front so that instead of running the snowblower off of the engine, i can run it off of a hydro motor. i have also thought about offsetting the hydro motor on the snowblower so that i can make it chain drive and make the snowblower auger spin faster than the hydro motor is.

I may also want another regular hydro outlet so that i can have another cylinder to angle a plow blade, or pull the shoot up and down on the blower. So what i would like essentially is to run a H1 with Highflow output or an H2 with Highflow output off of an 18 hp engine that i can engage and disengage from the electric pto clutch. What i need to know...1) is this possible to do at all? 2) How many GPM Pump would i need to run all this, and is it possible to do with a 18 hp engine? 3) i have no idea how to plumb hydro lines and valves, so that is another thing i am concerned about. In addition, i would like to turbo charge the engine at some point with one of those really small turbos they sell. 1) i dont want to blow the engine up, but i want to try and add a few more reliable hp without swapping in a new engine. 2) i love the sound of a turbo lol ok so im sorry for writing a book, but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please dont hesitate to let me know ;P Like i said i will be putting up pics soon for everyone to see, and i am open to any and all suggestions. Hopefully i can get this thing done by winter ;P Thanks!

Jeff

#2 cstmcraftsmanbuild OFFLINE  

cstmcraftsmanbuild

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 07:36 PM

anyone?

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Welcome to GTT

I dont know how I missed this thread.

I'm not a hydraulic guy, so I'm not much help on this question.
There are many knowledgeable guys here that should be able to offer some suggestions.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 09:27 PM

Jeff,

I would get as many specs off the drive motor for the blower as I could, figure in what you need for the lift and chute motors and size the pump accordingly.

As for the valve and lines... Go to a place that makes hoses and tell them what you're doing. A good hydraulic guy could sell you the right pump, make the hoses to length and with the right burst ratings. He can also show you the best options for the valve(s).

I say valves because you may want to make the chute or lift adjustment foot controlled. You'll have lots to do with your hands already.

Please take a few pics as you go, we would love to see the progress.

#5 cstmcraftsmanbuild OFFLINE  

cstmcraftsmanbuild

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hey guys, Thanks for the help. i know this is a really ambitious project, but i would be so happy with it if i can accomplish everything the way i want. Pics will definitley be taken as i go. I would like to get the cab done first before i start anything else. mainly because i want the cab to be the best it can, and i feel like if i do the other mods first i may run into problems making a nice cab later...basically i want to build off of the cab. Im not too far on the cab yet, i just have the mounts done and i am starting to build the frame front and rear and the roof. I made the mounts so that the whole cab is going to be supported off of the frame of the tractor, not off the fenders at all. I feel like this will give the cab a little more strength/stability.I do believe this project is possible, it will just be a tough one. There is a video on youtube of the same year/HP craftsman where the guy built a FEL for it from scratch, using a power steering pump off of a car or truck. I believe he also bored the motor out, adding a couple more HP. So my thinking is, if i only need two small hydro cylinders for lift and tilt, and a hydro motor for the blower, im probably using the same amount of GPM as the guy used for his craftsman FEL, considering the cylinders for that are much bigger and there are more of them. Thanks for looking guys, and I promise, as soon as i get a little farther on the cab, i will start posting some pics.

Jeff