• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 douggina44 OFFLINE  

douggina44
  • Member No: 87541
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 06:00 PM

Seeking advice with belt installation. I purchased two new drive belts of the correct size & length. In the 234-01 parts catalog, Belt #1 is Item 59 and Belt #2 is Item 68 on page 6. (they're installed between the engine pulley, Versa-Matic and transmission drive pulley/sprocket)  Old belt #1 was 29" as is the new belt. Old Belt #2 was 37.5" but the correct OEM belt is only 35". Problem is I can't install both belts at the same time. I can get one or the other but not both. The Variable Sheave Assembly (Versa-Matic Assembly) Item 51 can be rotated down in the forward or rear direction. I tried it at both extremes but with no luck. Has anyone experienced this problem?  Thanks in advance for any help.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 06:52 PM

I had a similar problem with a Ride-a-matic.  There was no way that the outside belt would go on with a new motor belt installed. Ended up using a longer belt and it works fine.  2.5" difference is more than old belt stretch.  If that old belt was still working, use it as a guide and go with the length you feel will work for your situation.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 07:09 PM

Small belt must go on first and the other one needs to be installed on variable sheave then slowly stretched over the bottom larger sheave on the frame, thats the only way to do it, you may also get better results moving the speed lever up to drop the other belt lower in the sheave.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: belt, drive belt, versa-metic, sheave