#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,814 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 07:15 AM

Have a tractor wish to paint Duetz-Allis Spring Green I think it is. Called a dealer near me, if 35 miles is near and they don't stock. Can get spray ordered, but have to buy 6 pk.  AND, only $14.09 each!!   Qts no longer available.  Gallons are 2 pak, didn't ask price. AND can only order paint if they have a $1,000 dollar order and takes two weeks.  Sheesh!  Pretty poor set-up there.

SO, I know guys are painting these things, so where is place they get that color of paint?  I don't see it in any Ag store yet in the tractor colors and my ACE didn't seem to have anything close.  A nearby Menard's had lots of odd colors when looking before, might drop in there again and see if anything close. OR, will I have to go to auto shop and see if listed and have mixed?  That seems the easiest so far, just not sure if they have color.

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,998 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 07:25 AM

Can you bring a piece from the tractor with the right color with you?  Bring it to a body shop and they can color match it.  Probably won't be  enamel but end up a better quality paint.  Prob have to put a base coat down first.  Had the hood, side panels and nose piece off a cub done at the local body shop.  Beautiful job but kind of pricey.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,557 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 07:27 AM

Are you looking for show quality or just to make it nice looking ?    If your looking to get close you might try if you have a sample or a part you can  take to Lowes they should be able to tint a color to match , ACE might be able to do the same , both will depend how good the person behind the counter is , auto paint for sure but $$$.  

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 2,292 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 08:35 AM

Have you looked online?  I googled deutz paint and found it right away.  This isn't AGCO branded, but is the color match from Tallman's at half the price per can.

https://www.tractorp...ol-p/156570.htm

2017-07-07 09_34_23-Deutz Spring Green Tractor Paint _ Aerosol _ - https___www.tractorpartsasap.com_.png

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,814 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 04:49 PM

Taint, have not googled, was next thought. I'll try that and see what happens.  Local auto shop says they should be able to mix off my sample also. Enamel.

Half price, right!  Only $8.00 shipping for one can!!  SO, right back at the big price again. Qts about $39 but $12 to ship.  Same guy is on epay with same offers. Will be still looking for now.

Edited by glgrumpy, July 07, 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,113 Thanks
  • 1,315 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 08:10 AM

You spending a lot of time/gas looking. I order all my paint online from TCP Global. I use acrylic urethane. Sprays easy and is very durable.  Gallon kits are best value as they are twice the price of a single quart. You just paint everything green for a while :smilewink:

Edited by Jazz, July 08, 2017 - 08:11 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,374 Thanks
  • 9,736 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 09:00 AM

. You just paint everything green for a while :smilewink:

Oh, no way. He finally ran out of MM Cherry Red and Prairie Gold.

Gary, the price for a quart from tractorpartsasap.com is $30.99, no shipping cost listed. You have to phone or email them. I doubt you're going find it cheaper, due to it's scarcity.

Edited by Cat385B, July 08, 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,814 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 06:14 AM

Found green Rustoleum engine paint at Menards that's close. Only had 2, so both both. Have to test now. Going to auto store later today.

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,814 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 05:55 PM

Went auto store, same engine paint offered in there.  They mix paint and looked thru a book with samples. Found two next to each other, look like it!  I couldn't tell the diff in them really. Took it outside even and compared to my part and looks real good.  The reg paint guy was at lunch and he as a reader or ?? to show your part too and see if formula comes up. Darn paint in a quart, the high price thinner needed ($25), and guys says need hardenter to use it, all came to around $100 or a little more. Man, then I have to mix, clean up many times, overspray, nice windless day, not sure I'm up to it. The fella in their knew right away it was Duetz-Allis, guess he had one at one time. 

#10 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 272 Thanks
  • 212 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:13 PM

Took a panel with good color on the back side to Sherwin Williams & they matched it real good.  Mixed in their Sher Kem industrial paint line.  Nice paint with good gloss.  Thinned with regular reducer. Hardner optional.  Had to buy a gallon.

Can't give you a number as being a custom mix it has none, just the tinting info on the label.

Not finished with it yet, or I would send whats left!!!

Skip

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,814 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 10:47 PM

Well, had time to look at that Engine Paint I bought and see how close. Grabber Green is what they call it. Found at Menard's and also now at my local auto store. I sprayed some on the part on back and I LIKE it! I think I'm gonna go with it. Even if not exact, the whole tractor will all be same color then and no one will really even know if correct really. Couple pictures. Tonight when going in to house and lights low going out of garage, looked over and saw part there and couldn't even see that I sprayed it on, it's that close.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170711_200939.jpg
  • 20170711_200933.jpg
  • 20170711_200900.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, July 11, 2017 - 10:50 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,557 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:38 AM

I think you have a winner there :thumbs:  . Were you looking for just spray cans ? Does that come in quarts if you wanted ?

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,773 Thanks
  • 44,557 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 07:16 AM

Mopar had a color similar back in the early '70's.

#14 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 929 Thanks
  • 719 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:48 AM

A little brighter but it is very close.

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,814 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:10 AM

No quarts known at this time. I always like the rattle cans, much less hassle. I do pretty good with them. Rarely have I ever had to use my sprayers. I even did my big MM's with cans, a piece at a time!  The big chassis on those, I usually just brushed. They are rough and can't usually see the marks or anything. Gonna start on the fenders first, so I can get them back on tractor. Have them all straigtened out now and gonna see if fit in the blast cabinet, might be a little long, not sure.

• Alc said thank you