10 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:28 PM

he wants me to sort out a couple issues. it overheats, blower housing and cooling fins appear clean. if i were to guess, i would say the points are probably set way wrong or he is running it super lean. another issue, battery is not charging. im probably going to have check the stator with a multimeter in a/c voltage? am i correct. if the stator checks out, it has to be the regulator? i havent worked on wheelhorse too much, mostly IH cub cadets and john deere 110/112 and 200 series. the wheelhorse has a typical kohler k321 engine and im quite familiar with them. i havent ever had issues with them overheating though. it could just be because i always set them up right. the 314-8 seems to be a well built tractor. what is the vintage? i would guess early 80's?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Yes it is A/C from the two leads from the stator, at least on the Onan's I am not sure on the Kohlers without the starter / generator. Can check it all right at the regulator. If the fins are clean on the engine I would lean more towards it running lean.

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 06:25 AM

The 314-8 was sold in 1985 and 1993-2001.

The 1985 model used a 3amp rectified but unregulated system to charge the battery and power the ignition and a 2nd stator that supplied unregulated AC current to the lights only.

Garry
  • NUTNDUN, MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 07:49 AM

There are at least one, maybe 2 fuses in that harness. Maybe more? Don't forget to check them first.

#5 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:48 AM

how did the wheelhorse numbering system work? what does 314-8 mean. i know that 14 means 14 hp, and that 8 means the transaxle has a self contained creeper gear, but what does the 3 or 4 mean(314, 414)?

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:21 AM

how did the wheelhorse numbering system work? what does 314-8 mean. i know that 14 means 14 hp, and that 8 means the transaxle has a self contained creeper gear, but what does the 3 or 4 mean(314, 414)?

Caseguy can fill in the blanks here, as can several others... But the first number is the series. After TORO took them over, it got more confusing... But my understanding pre TORO is that the 300 series went to 12 hp, the 400's were 12 to 16. After TORO there was some overlap ... Thus the 14 hp 300 series.

Ok, someone correct me LOL

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:33 AM

The 300 Series is based on old "C"-series of earlier days, The 400 was a heavier built tractor then the "C" series. The 14 is in fact the HP., and the 8 is for the 4speed transaxle with Hi- Low gear set in it.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 07:37 PM

I believe that what you have is the 1985 verion as the 1993 to 2001 models used the 14 HP Kohler Magnum engine. Thanks for the vote of confidence MH81. Just to clarify though, the 400 series started at 14 HP. Looks like everyone has the rest covered! Good luck with the repairs!

#9 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:11 PM

ok so my neighbor brought it over for me to look at it. its a nice looking tractor but has some issues. how do i test the charging system. it has a voltage meter on the dashboard, it never registers anything. i see the 3 wire connector hooking up to the wires coming off the stator under the blower housing. i know 1 wire is for the coil and the other 2 are for the charging system. i hooked up a test light and im getting power at the hot going to the coil (a given since it will run), and power coming from 1 of the 2 wires going to the stator. now here is where i get lost. i'm used to diagnosing systems with a regulator, i have never done an unregulated system. im thinking the stator is bad. i also think i might have a spare stator kicking around from a 212. will that work on this tractor? you guys say there is 2 systems 1 for charging and 1 for headlights. the headlight dont work but i dont know if the bulbs are good. anyways i only see the 1 connector from the stator, is there another connector somewhere? how do i properly diagnose this system? also he complains tractor overheats, my hunch is that it is overheating because it is running low voltage to the coil since the charging system does NOT work. i checked the mixture and i seemed it wasnt running excessively lean

#10 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:50 PM

i disconnected that 3 prong connector and hooked the coil up directly to the battery. i then used a test light between the 2 stator leads, the stator appears to work. i also noticed that with the engine running the leads to the stator get warm. i dont think that should be. they werent hot, but i could feel some warmth

Edited by ad356, June 21, 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#11 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 03:47 AM

The charging lead should have a diode in it at the connector providing DC current. The lighting lead does not have a diode so the lights only run on AC current. There is too much to write here. Get a copy of the service manual for the K-Series at
Kohler Engines: K-Series: Series Landing: Engines

You should be checking the voltage between a lead and the chassis ground for each stator winding remembering one is AC and one is DC and depending if you are taking a reading before or after the diode in the charging circuit. AC before the diode and DC after it.

Garry
  • caseguy said thank you