• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mgking OFFLINE  

Mgking
  • Member No: 47553
  • 24 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 10:24 PM

Looking at freshing up a kubota d950 to put into a Deere 317. Was kind of hard starting when we got it so tonight I checked the glow plugs which were good but then spun it over by hand and found one cylinder with no compression. I see the Kumar bros stuff all over but wondered if anyone had a good recommendation or better yet experience with a place.

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,271 Thanks
  • 5,981 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 10:41 PM

I would suggest before you spend any money on that engine that you pull the head and make sure the valves aren't carboned up. At least  pull the exhaust manifold and look at the valve stems. I purchased one of those engines and it had no compression. Could turn the engine over by hand. Pulled the head and found the exhaust valves were carboned up and the valves weren't closing all the way. Cleaned the head and valves and it is still running good great today.  While I don't suggest doing this I even reused the original head gasket because I wanted to see if it was going to run. Re-torqued the head bolts after short run and have had no problems at all. 

Good luck. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, tiretrx and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Mgking OFFLINE  

Mgking
  • Member No: 47553
  • 24 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 06, 2017 - 06:46 AM

that sounds promising.  once i get some things re arranged in the garage im going to pull the head regardless to see whats going on.  it has been sitting about a year and a half since it was purchased and ran last.

• Cvans said thank you

#4 miller_time OFFLINE  

miller_time
  • Member No: 65621
  • 31 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted July 06, 2017 - 07:05 PM

If you end up rebuilding i would get the kit from here http://www.kubotapar...-overhaul-kits/

Genuine kubota parts for not much more money

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 12:57 AM

that sounds promising.

once i get some things re arranged in the garage im going to pull the head regardless to see whats going on. it has been sitting about a year and a half since it was purchased and ran last.

run a comp, and leakdown test on it!

Edited by stiemmy, July 07, 2017 - 01:01 AM.