7 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,092 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 11:50 AM

On my 1856 (tube frame with 18hp briggs twin conversion)  it seems that I have a bad spot on the starter or it is simply worn out. I put in a new starter when I built the tractor 5 years ago. At the time I could not find an OEM starter so I put in a cheap after market from ebay. I put a new battery in it this week.

I went out to the shed  on Sunday to run it. It started up but I had to tap on the starter to get it to move. I drove it over to the garage and shut it down. 30 minutes later I go to start it and even with a jump starter pack on it the starter will not even move the engine through the compression stage. The starter got very hot while trying so I gave up. I towed it out to the shed and an hour later I hit the key and it turned right over.

I'm thinking that maybe it has a bad spot in the starter, it's worn out or possibly there is a compression release on this engine and it is not always working right.  It's a briggs twin L head 422437-1209 engine. I found an OEM briggs starter on line that I'm thinking of getting in hopes that it solves the problems. 

Has anyone experienced a starter that would turn so slow it would not turn the engine past compression stroke? I'm hoping the starter is the issue here. This is a picture of the tractor and the engine. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC08893.JPG
  • DSC09091.JPG

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,091 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 12:39 PM

Cheap Ebay starters are not worth getting. Pull it apart and look at the Puny thin windings. An OEM starter windings are about 5 times as heavy.

I would rather buy a used starter and put new bushings and gear set on it.

Worn or sloppy starter bushings cause the gear to cock and jam up on the ring gear. That's the biggest problem with all Briggs starters. Sloppy Starter Bushings is Also what causes the notorious stripped starter gears on Briggs engines. Normally it's the bottom bushing that goes out 1st. They lock up on the starter shaft and spin in the plastic Brush holder. They don't have any way of holding oil or grease in the bushing so they dry up and start galling and wearing really fast.

The ONLY 2 gripes I have with Briggs twins is the starters and fuel pumps. The 16hp L head twin that was in my Cub Cadet 582 had Almost 3,000 hours on it and it still ran OK but had a BUNCH of Blow By. The dual Breathers looked like little smoke stacks. But the cylinder bores still look very good.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 05, 2017 - 12:44 PM.

• Husky said thank you

#3 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 216 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 12:40 PM

I am guessing this is one of the Briggs starters that engages the flywheel, yes?

If so, I would guess your pinion gear is probably worn as they're made of plastic and easily damaged. Easy enough to check though, just pull the starter off and inspect the pinion gear.

Edited by dtsh, July 05, 2017 - 12:42 PM.

• Husky said thank you

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,092 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 12:59 PM

Thank you guys that makes me feel a bit better. I am going to check that gear just for the fun of it when I pull out the starter. I'm hoping I don't need to lift the engine. I put the starter on when I was building the tractor. Being my own conversion I can't remember if I'll need to lift the engine or not. I'll soon find out.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,217 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 01:25 PM

Like mentioned above I'd have a look at your starter gears.

Having heard the horror stories of chinese knockoffs  I only stock OEM briggs starters now.

• Husky and EricFromPa have said thanks

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,367 Thanks
  • 4,074 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 02:34 PM

It is harder to remove and install the starter than it is to take one apart for examination of the bushings (both ends) and brushes.

• Husky said thank you

#7 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 171 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 02:53 PM

Before you take any thing apart. Did you check all of your connections? A loose connection can cause things to heat up and/or work sporadically. Check all connections including grounds to make sure that nothing is loose.

• Husky said thank you

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,092 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 03:25 PM

Thanks achto I never gave that a thought. Battery connections are good I just replaced it this week but could be issues at ground or at the starter
  • Achto said thank you