• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 08:02 PM

I thought I had posted about this piece o' junk earlier, came back to see if any responses, cannot find post? Weird. 

anyway I'm working on a neighbors Deere RX75 RER about an 89 model. 

while mowing all of a sudden quit moving.  neighbor got it pushed inside, and called me...

I went and checked it out, primary drive belt which comes from the engine, still in one piece and spinning with the engine while running, but not turning what they call the "variator" pulley/ slipping right around it..... Variator has to spin for 2nd belt that is run off of it can  spin the transmission input.
Variator spins freely by hand.

Figured maybe belt worn on edges as it was seemingly way too deep in variator pulley and that pulley is worn/polished to a glaze, 

belt was badly cracked up, so needed replaced anyway/ and the new one is ~3/16 wider than old one....

new belt (from Deere) same number as the one put on some years ago seems way too long, have it routed as per the way old one was and per book. all springs and idler pulleys there and accounted for. nothing seems broken.  seems like pivot idler arm and pulley not moving far enough to take up all the slack....
on an unrelated note, the brake pedal has alot of slop in it and pads are worn out, but even if I hold brake up, it makes no difference....

looked in owners manual and told of 1 adjustment to make if it does not work contact Deere.....

I am wondering if that variator may be worn out?? never had to deal with that part of it before.

#2 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 958 Thanks
  • 653 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 09:34 PM

Can you spin the second belt?

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 09:43 PM

Yeah along with the rest of the variator pulley spins fine and grabs like it should

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,966 Thanks
  • 4,128 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 07:25 AM

Those variators do wear out but it is not common.  It sounds like the primary belt is the problem.  Did you get anywhere on this?

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 10:08 PM

no not yet pushed it aside for a couple days.... went computer shopping and had to mow my own yard......

came home from work yesterday and it appears the PITA neighbor has had someone mow her yard, she does that anyway a few times a year, calls the landscape place down the road to come and do it   I dont see how the primary belt can be the problem as I just replaced it 2 days ago, got the new one right from Deere and the same PN as the one I replaced..... apparently this variator thing works like the 212, 314 etc as in it slides on a center hub like a snowmobile clutch.... next step is to pull it out, look at it and see if I can free it up  or verify whether it is supposed to work like i think it is supposed to or not.

the last time I talked to the neighbor she asked me if it is junk or not, if she is gonna have to go out and buy a new machine.... I should have told her "yeah".... this machine is like a little clown-toy. (but I didn't)

#6 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 12:58 PM

The variator does work the same as the 200 series J Deere's. If the center moveable sheave is stuck, then you have a one speed machine. It then can act the same as a clutch. Best to free up the variator. With the belts off, a little dab of never seize on the hub can keep things working.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 07:49 PM

ok then.. one of tomorrows projects,   had to do ball joints on a fusion to eliminate a squak, (no zerks... brilliant)  then sway bar links on an Acadia, after that was done then it was an oil change, trans fluid/filter, and (this part was unexpected) water pump and belt tensioner on a 95 Taurus.... none of which were mine, just like this clown mower....

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 08:35 AM

another question; while I have yet to find a model number on it, the transaxle is obviously a Peereless one. cast into the housing in huge letters... anywhere to get brake pads for it besides Deere? (I know that Peerless = Tecumseh)

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 08:35 AM

what is it with double posts lately? is it me or the machine or a glitch w/ the forum? 

Edited by dodge trucker, July 09, 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 08:51 PM

ok guys back to it now I need HELP with this thing.... I got the variator out and the center disc spins free, and slides free on the hub,  the bearing spins free with no slop, but something don't seem right. the center disc not only slides side to side but it also spins separately from the hub... am I right in thinking there should be a 1 way clutch within that center disc so that it grabs when spun forward? Otherwise you never have more than one side of either belt grabbing at any given time, with only half the grip I can see how it was doing what it was... the primary belt was sloppy loose, and spinning around the variator without grabbing and turning it... or the secondary belt on the other side of that center sliding disc within the variator.... so the transmission would not/could not turn.

Am I thinking right in how this thing is supposed to work?

any suggestions besides Deere for those brake pads... anybody?

#11 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • 958 Thanks
  • 653 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 03:17 PM

The pulleys are forced together through the belts,the center sheve dose carry load because of this,really does sound like loose belts,the driven belt could be the problem allso,the belts have to be tight for this setup to work

#12 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 261 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:39 PM

The center sheave should move independently of the hub. Usually it`s the pulleys that go on these. But you should make sure that the bushing on the center sheave doesn`t have too much of a wobble to it, if it does it could bind up and not move under use. One belt is pulling it one way and the other belt is on the other side pulling in the opposite direction, so if the bushing is worn enough, it will bind. Check everything involved with moving the variator and idlers to make sure everything moves freely.

You might do your neighbor a favor ant tell her it`s time for a new mower, this must be at least 25 years old.

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 06:10 PM

yeah it is from 1989, and her buying a different machine would be more of a favor to myself than to her.... I am tired of it.

I understand the separate movement from the hub but I thought that would only be in a sliding direction, that in the rotational direction that it should lock to the hub... otherwise it seems only 1 side of each belt would be grabbing...

and jimmy, that's the thing.. all belts are on as they are designed according to the book, there is no adjustment, I went and bought OEM Deere belts and the primary belt seems too long. the hub appeared stuck tight to the sec. belt as the primary pulley part  of the variator was too wide for the primary one to grip it....

#14 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • 958 Thanks
  • 653 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 06:59 PM

Maybe it's a drive or driven pulley problem on the engine or trans,you said there's play in the pedal maybe it's a linkage issue with wear

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 07:34 AM

The play is on the brake pedal not the clutch pedal. I have the transmission out, deck off, variator off, all pulleys seem to spin fine, no bind or slop,

I went back by the Deere dealer and got brake pads, and went to the shop to ask if they still see these machines and after the guy told me that the belts go on opposite of how they do (no way that they can go flat side in) he told me that he wishes I hadn't pulled the variator pulley off as they are a pita (yeah I found that out) to reassemble it and tell the owner "no more" and that he too hates working on those machines. Which was a little bit of vindication for me I guess.