• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dennhop OFFLINE  

dennhop
  • Member No: 87518
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 01:27 AM

New here, new to Gravely mowers.  Long story short, my father had bought a Gravely 20G Professional, not sure what year it is.  Dad recently passed away from an unexpected heart attack, but before he died, apparently he had tried using his bush hog behind the Gravely.  

I don't have the mower in front of me, and it's not easily accessible-I live two states away from my mother's house.  The problem is at some point after dad had used it with the bush hog, something happened to the tractor.  It will run and drive, but as soon as you hit an uphill slope with it, it pretty much stops.  The only way to get it going forward again is if you drop it in low range, 1st gear, and even then it barely pulls itself out of its own way.  This is with only the belly mower attached, not even with the bush hog. 

I'm trying to understand a bit more about how the 20G works: I originally thought it was a hydrostatic drive, but some internet research seems to lead me to believe the G designator means it's a gear drive transmission.  I'm hoping to get some ideas of how that tractor operates and what might be a problem, before she has to take it to a dealer to fix it, or sell it broken, and take a huge loss on it.  Any assistance anyone here could provide would be greatly appreciated.

• tractorgarden and tiretrx have said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,561 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 05:25 AM

Welcome to GTTalk ! I can't help you but I'm sure there are members here who can . I do beleive your right about the drive being gear with some kind of clutches for engagement .

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,566 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 05:58 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. I just uploaded a Service Manual that should help you out.  Also, here you can find more manuals for these machines.

• tiretrx, Oldford and dennhop have said thanks

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 09:51 PM

New here, new to Gravely mowers.  Long story short, my father had bought a Gravely 20G Professional, not sure what year it is.  Dad recently passed away from an unexpected heart attack, but before he died, apparently he had tried using his bush hog behind the Gravely.  

I don't have the mower in front of me, and it's not easily accessible-I live two states away from my mother's house.  The problem is at some point after dad had used it with the bush hog, something happened to the tractor.  It will run and drive, but as soon as you hit an uphill slope with it, it pretty much stops.  The only way to get it going forward again is if you drop it in low range, 1st gear, and even then it barely pulls itself out of its own way.  This is with only the belly mower attached, not even with the bush hog. 

I'm trying to understand a bit more about how the 20G works: I originally thought it was a hydrostatic drive, but some internet research seems to lead me to believe the G designator means it's a gear drive transmission.  I'm hoping to get some ideas of how that tractor operates and what might be a problem, before she has to take it to a dealer to fix it, or sell it broken, and take a huge loss on it.  Any assistance anyone here could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Check and see if it does the same in reverse. there should be a forward clutch pack and a reverse clutch pack i believe. sounds  like a clutch pack needs adjusted or rebuilt. Not a major job on the older ones. Good luck.

• dennhop said thank you

#5 dennhop OFFLINE  

dennhop
  • Member No: 87518
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 14, 2017 - 10:25 AM

Check and see if it does the same in reverse. there should be a forward clutch pack and a reverse clutch pack i believe. sounds  like a clutch pack needs adjusted or rebuilt. Not a major job on the older ones. Good luck.

been busy, so I haven't been back on here in a while.  Missed a few things. Thanks a lot for the service manual, that's going to be a huge help!  As far as in reverse, it runs just fine in reverse...I actually debated about driving it back to the garage in reverse, the only problem would have been that I would have had to find a way to drag the bushhog back up the hill by hand.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#6 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted August 14, 2017 - 12:10 PM

It could just very well be your forward clutch is out of adjustment, meaning the gap is too large. They are external as you'll see in the manual and I believe the gap call out is .030". Don't quote me there as I adjust mine by feel. Gap too large and there's limited or no engagement. Simple fix, if that's indeed it.

• tractorgarden said thank you