3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Trav1s 
#1 ·
Make: John Deere

Model: 110H

Year: 1968

Type: T0643

Serial: 108706M

Hi all,

So I have this tractor, it was given to me by my dad and over the last few years I have begin to have some problems with it. Since I know every little about the tractor I also have a few questions I was hoping everyone could help me out with. I'll post photos and explain them. I read in another post you all love photos. :)

Photo 1: the type and serial nubers

Photo 2, 3, 4: General overview of the tractor

Photo 5: Why is this black lever different from all of the other 110H tractors I've seen online? It controls the height of the mower deck but all of the handles I have seen are green and move front to back. This one moves up and down.

Photo 6, 7, 8: There are multiple wires that lead to no where. I don't know why they are here or what they should be connected to.

Photo 9: This area after mowing about half an acre will start smoking really bad. I can not tell if its coming from the spark plug or the area below it. Is smoke from this area a bad sign?

Photo 10: This is the fly wheel that when engaged would start to turn the belt for the mower deck. (I believe the extra wheel on the outside is for a snow blower attachment.) When engaged the wheel gets jammed and will not turn. It looks as if only friction is supposed to cause the two wheel to spin together (correct me if I'm wrong), so why would they stop engaging with each other?

The other major issue I'm having is the gears are not holding. The best way I can describe this is when you drive a manual car and you miss the gear you hear a grinding noise. That is the same noise the tractor makes when the gear slips. Why is it slipping?

I found this post on the forum which I'll eventually use to rebuild my tractor. http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/21661-my-1968-john-deere-110/page-1#

For now though I just need to get it up and running again so I can mow the lawn. I know there is a lot to take in here but seeing the amount of help you all gave on the forum above I thought this would be the best place to have my questions and issues answered.

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Sarhan

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
6, 7, 8 - those unused wires are used for options like headlights, taillights, and a cigarette lighter If the machine runs without problems leave them alone. One of the dangers in messing with an old wiring harness is that they get brittle from the head and can break. The harness for your 110 is a hard one to find.

9 - Likely the head gasket is leaking and needs replaced - not a difficult project but requires following the Kohler engine or Deere service manual.

10 - the PTO clutch is a "cone type" and the friction material on the contact surfaces is likely work. The clutch on your early machine is different than that of later models. A Deere service manual would give you the scoop that you need to figure it out.

Reactions: Sarhan
#5 ·
#5: Your tractor has the optional hydraulic lift, which uses a hydro cylinder to raise and lower implements. Most 110's have a simple lever attached to the rockshaft, creating the term 'strong arm lift'.
Thanks Cat385B that explains the arm.

6, 7, 8 - those unused wires are used for options like headlights, taillights, and a cigarette lighter If the machine runs without problems leave them alone. One of the dangers in messing with an old wiring harness is that they get brittle from the head and can break. The harness for your 110 is a hard one to find.

9 - Likely the head gasket is leaking and needs replaced - not a difficult project but requires following the Kohler engine or Deere service manual.

10 - the PTO clutch is a "cone type" and the friction material on the contact surfaces is likely work. The clutch on your early machine is different than that of later models. A Deere service manual would give you the scoop that you need to figure it out.
I will not touch any wiring then thanks Trav1s. The service manual for the tractor, is that something that would be hard for me to get?

#7 ·
As for the service manual -You can get a new print copy from Deere or a used copy on eBay.

#8 ·
Was thinking about this machine a bit more. That is an early '68 and there are a few "one year only" items that make it unique. Here they are off the top of my head:

- rear diff fill tube with dipstick under seat

- magneto ignition

- 4 legged deer on hood insert

Also, the seat has been replaced with a newer Deere replacement. If you are interested, you can see a "correct" reproduction in my 120 that came from Hapcoparts.com.
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/7650-1971-120/?p=722136

Reactions: WHdbJD
#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update:

I took the engine apart didn't like all the gunk I saw so I cleaned and rebuilt it. It works much better now.

I took the transaxel apart found a gear with a tooth missing (photo 1) part of the case which looks warn (photo 2) and a bunch of gears that have been abused. I cleaned out the metal shavings on the inside got a new gear and put it back together. 2nd gear works much better now and doesn't pop out. 3rd gear still doesn't work. Oh well

Me next issue. The mower deck. I think it's a model 39 deck I'm not sure though. The following photos will show one of the pulley for the deck belt. This pulley (I believe broken) was kicked at an angle so large is grinded itself into the nut holding it on and damaged a couple other parts along the way. Can I get all of the hardware for this pulley? I also do not know if the pulley itself is damaged because I can not find a diagram on it anywhere.

Thanks for all the help so far I really appreciate it!

Attachments

#11 ·
A 39 deck is the correct deck for your '68. I suspect the serial tag is made of brass and the front edge of the left side likely has a 4-legged Deere logo on if it is the original deck.

#12 ·
Dan:

Do these diagrams help?

attachicon.gif
110 PTO.pdf

I hope so.

Harlan
Thanks Harlan but they do not. The wheel that broke is not the PTO clutch it's the one behind it. This wheel is between the PTO clutch and the deck allowing the belt to make the 90° turn.

A 39 deck is the correct deck for your '68. I suspect the serial tag is made of brass and the front edge of the left side likely has a 4-legged Deere logo on if it is the original deck.
The serial tag is in the right place, I'll have to look for this Deere logo tonight. Thanks!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looks like this one found on the early 39 on my 1968 side tag 110 serial number is 100,4xx.

Attachments

#14 ·
I will check the 110 later today for you to see if I can get any pics. The frame is standing on end in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.