• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 44 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 07:43 AM

1971 - 1614 with an ongoing  Vapor Locking problem (that I mainly attribute to ethanol gas & the gas tank being mounted directly above the engine & the sediment bowl being in direct line of fire with the hot air flow of the Head)  ....  Remember .... this is the PK model that the tank sits on top of the engine & has a thru hole for the spark plug.

This engine was completely overhauled/rebuilt in 1990.  Bored .. 3 angle valve job .. yadda yadda ...not a "Paint Job Rebuild".

I have several other PK's .. but this is my slightly modified "Work Horse Tractor" & sometimes it gets Worked pretty hard.  Heavy mowing .. Snow Plowing .. etc.    

In hot weather .. after a couple hours of mowing high grass & weeds ... the typical signs of vapor lock ... sputtering & dying  .. yank the choke on & it would run a little longer.

My entire dash & key switch area would get so hot you could hardly touch anything.

For some time now .. my plan has been to add a tin heat deflector from a later model PK.  You know ... the angular box looking thing that directs the heat from the head down to the hog head area.

I snagged a deflector off of fleabay a few months ago & yesterday,  started in to the project.

I knew there were going to be some modifications involved .. but no big deal.  I knew the typical deflector mounting .. of 2 of the head bolts with studs sticking up was out of the question, because the studs & nuts had no clearance between the head & tank.

Flipped the hood up ... removed grill & gas tank .. then removed the existing head tin.   Hmmm ... grass & funk plugging the air flow into the head fins.   Now there's a sure fire heating problem !   This prompted me to remove ALL of the engine tin & clean it out good.

Tin back on .. proceed to figuring fitting of the deflector ...  Wondering why the spark plug hole in the deflector wasn't jiving with the squareness  of said deflector ...    WOW ! WHAT'S THIS  ! ? .... 2 cracks in the head .. radiating out from the spark plug.  One crack with visible sign of combustion gas leakage ... DANG  !     Yes ... dumbass me should have cleaned out the funk a long time ago  !

Not so much of a problem .... went to the barn & grabbed another head off the shelf.

Hmm ... What's this ?    The spark plug hole is in a different location.

Original head .. the plug is located between the intake & exhaust valves .... barn head , plug is located over the exhaust valve.   Back to the barn to look at a spare/rebuild able K321 on the shelf.   Plug over the exhaust valve.  Looked at my other 2 PK's that are here (with deflector tin) .... plug over exhaust valve.  That's why the deflector wasn't fitting correctly in relation to the spark plug.   Ahhhh ... now , on with the project.  New head installed ... original head tin modified for new plug location .... some deflector whacking with a zip-saw because the deflector now sits lower without the extended head bolts .. & it was down onto & hitting the hog head in the rear & the carb on the side & needed a large slot for the exhaust pipe & some more zipping for starter wire clearance.  Some zipping & bending for coil mounting clearance .. pop-rivet the deflector to the original head tin .. & bingo .. done.

( Pop-rivets protruding into air flow may prove to be a bad idea ... if they start grabbing grass & funk in the fins.  I may end up removing them & stitch a few welds to hold the new deflector to original head tin)

WHAO  !!!  WAIT  !!!      What about the dang new spark plug location  ???    Is it going to fit in the gas tank Thru-Hole ???

Yes it did .... but just barely !!!

Just thought I would share this project & ask if anyone else has noticed that the spark plug location had changed on these engines ... assumedly .. AFTER / DURING the change to the "Long Hoods" ...

Or ... have I just not been very observant in my long history with PK's  ??? 

I can take some Pictures if anyone is interested ...

~Glenn

• boyscout862 and Austen have said thanks

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,559 Thanks
  • 1,125 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hi Glenn interesting story, no I did not know about the different SP locations now I'll have to check that out, so now that its all back together is it running any better? I know that when I put my 76 1614 bact together I first ran it with out the cooling tin deflector and soon discovered how hot the dash etc gets so mine went on have not had any vapor locking problems and I do use 10% ethanol  gas  hope its working for you

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,790 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 10:47 AM

This is from Brian Miller's Garden Tractor Pulling Tips & Tricks", a wealth of information on the Kohler K series engines.

http://gardentractor...com/cylhead.htm

• boyscout862, MNGB and Glenn Ayers have said thanks

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,559 Thanks
  • 1,125 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi lillysdad, I have Brain Millers pages bookmark but didn't think to look there very interesting about the different heads Kohler has mqade over the years

#5 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 44 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 06:46 PM

I haven't put it to the test yet ... busy with other crap.

The newer PK's with the gas tank in front & the OEM heat deflector should not have any vapor lock issues .. even without the heat deflector installed.   PK stepped in poop when they designed the pre 72 models .... you open the hood & the only advantage you gained was the spark plug access hole.   JEEEEZE  !!! 

Too much heat going on right under that tank .... especially with this much easier vaporized ethanol fuel they force us to use these days.

Thanks for the Head Info link LilysDad !    Very informative.    Was reading about the extreme spark plug hole repair by using a 1/2 pipe plug .. then machining it out to spark plug threads.   I did the same fix several years ago on a flathead Harley Davidson.   The owner thought I was God himself.   hahaha

~Glenn

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • 11,790 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 11:17 AM

There is also info in there someplace about how much you can plane of the heads. I have a K341 that I shaved the head .030.

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,559 Thanks
  • 1,125 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 10:39 AM

Hi Glenn just curious have you had a chance to find out if your mods helped on the PK?

#8 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 44 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 06:48 PM

Just came in from mowing.    Dash still seems to be getting hotter than it should.  I guess I just don't remember it getting this hot years ago.

Ambient today was about 78 F   ... Never offered to quit running .... so I don't know for sure if my plan worked

I'll know better when it's 85+F & I mow for a couple hours.

~Glenn

• MNGB said thank you

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • 11,790 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:09 PM

Timing can have an effect on over heating. I imagine most of us would just set the points with a feeler guage, but it has been shown that that is not always the most accurate. If you set the points and then check your timing marks, they may be off a significant amount.

• MNGB said thank you

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,559 Thanks
  • 1,125 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yes its true that timing can be a factor and Lllysdad is right there are some Kohlers that can be out of time just using the feeler gauge points set at 0.020" the thing about PK's is you have to remove the hood to get a good look at the timing mark, I thought about cutting a hole in the hood to see but didn't really like that idea. I read on another forum that one engine had a point setting of 0.018" with the timing marks lined up.

#11 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 44 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 04:16 AM

Hmmmm .... that IS something to think about.     I don't think I've even looked at these points since the engine was overhauled in 1990.

~G