• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 10:14 PM

Carb cleaning is foreign territory to me... like women, dating and social stuff😂 Don't ask...

BACK ON TOPIC!

I figure soaking it in carb cleaner, for a while, maybe 3 or 4 hours, then blowing it out with compressed air should work...

Last time I pulled a carb apart, it didn't end well with my darn Sasquatch hands. Big n clumsy.

Anyone have good advice? I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants here...
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 811 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 10:24 PM

I use a ultrasonic cleaner and a paint gun cleaning kit, the kit has small brushes and wires of different diameters to reach all the passageways in the carb. You must fully disassemble the carb or you are just wasting your time. After cleaning thoroughly let soak overnight in ultrasonic bath of your favorite solvent. In the morning blow out with compressed air and reassemble with new packings. Then if your me do it twice more cause you screwed up and missed something! Good luck!
  • Lmiller3358, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 232 Thanks
  • 154 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 10:52 PM

Best advice, look over the parts list for the carb so you know what the parts are and where they're supposed to go. Take it slow and take pictures of each part before disassembly so you can reference them later. No part should require force to remove it, if it doesn't come apart easy, stop, examine the parts list and look for something you missed.

What carb are you working on? I've disassembled more than a few and there are many here who've disassembled far more than me. Let us know what it's off of, any model #'s and perhaps some pictures. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

• Lmiller3358, boyscout862, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,158 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:13 PM

Best advice is research. Find out all you can about your particular carb. If you can't find information on your particular carb I found a tutorial for Marvel Schebler carburetor as ran on the ford 8&9 N that described the function of the various parts and passage ways in the carb. I used that information to rebuild the carburetor for my 8N and it works flawlessly. Having a thorough understanding of that very basic and simple carb helps when working on others. On any of the more complicated carburetors I tend to take lots of pictures and try to leave nothing to memory. Makes for a dirty camera and a clean carb. But the old Kodak just keeps working. Work on a large clean bench, preferably on a smooth clean floor with as few holes and cracks as possible. You don"t want the parts you drop to have a place to hide. Bright light is very helpful.  I have gone so far as to stick split foam pipe insulation on around the edges of my work bench when working with many small parts to keep the parts from rolling of  Remember time spent being careful is more productive than time spent doing it over. Or time spent crawling around on the floor looking for parts. Don 

• boyscout862, TomLGT195, MolonLabe and 2 others have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,102 Thanks
  • 6,217 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 07:00 AM

:iagree:   I lay an old T shirt or Sweat shirt on the bench where I am working.  Parts that may drop will land and stay put, where they may bounce on a hard surface.

• boyscout862, Greasy6020 and secondtry have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,580 Thanks
  • 9,395 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 09:03 AM

The guys are right about preparation. But I would go even further. The Kohler/Carter carb used on Kohler K engines has a ball-bearing and spring that will shoot across the room when you don't expect it. I have even had the spring stuck in there with dirt and thought it was missing until >oops!< Prepare a small, uncluttered area with this in mind. (Maybe curtained off?) Tecumseh carbs have a float needle seat that is difficult to remove unless you use compressed air in the inlet. That will blow the seat a long ways.

I like those magnetic dishes they sell cheap at HF to hold small parts.

• boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#7 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 12:51 PM

The guys are right about preparation. But I would go even further. The Kohler/Carter carb used on Kohler K engines has a ball-bearing and spring that will shoot across the room when you don't expect it. I have even had the spring stuck in there with dirt and thought it was missing until >oops!< Prepare a small, uncluttered area with this in mind. (Maybe curtained off?) Tecumseh carbs have a float needle seat that is difficult to remove unless you use compressed air in the inlet. That will blow the seat a long ways.

Aaaand you're the bearer of bad news!

I've got kohler k series carbs that need work, and Tecumseh carbs that need work.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,051 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 12:59 PM

Tecumseh carbs have a float needle seat that is difficult to remove unless you use compressed air in the inlet. That will blow the seat a long ways.

Its only hard if you dont have the proper tools, Tecumseh Floats and seats can be easily gapped, installed/removed with this tool!

http://bolenspartsan...h-631021b-kits/

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,580 Thanks
  • 9,395 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 02:05 PM

Shhhhh . . .        I promise I won't tell - that looks an awful lot like a crochet hook.

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 12,580 Thanks
  • 9,395 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 02:09 PM

Aaaand you're the bearer of bad news!

I've got kohler k series carbs that need work, and Tecumseh carbs that need work.

The spring and BB are behind the choke shaft. Note the cross hole in the carb casting on the end opposite the choke lever.

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,134 Thanks
  • 8,862 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 07:24 PM

Our extensive Manuals Section will have the right manual for your carb. I use stale gas to clean grease, oil, and varnish off of a carb. For corrossion, I use old soda or vinegar in water to clean. I use spray carb cleanner to blow out passages. Good Luck, Rick
  • LilysDad and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#12 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,259 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 08:57 PM

Thanks guys!