Today I got the steering column and the top cover plate assembled. Those were the last 2 components I needed finished so I could start assembly of the frame. All the new bushings, washers, roll pins etc. were put in and greased up. I was tempted to add the decals on the plate, but decided against it so I didn't scratch them up during the rest of the assembly.
With all these components assembled I just couldn't resist putting some of it together. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it all went together now that everything was clean and prepped as well as having all new nuts and bolts. I used a thread tap and cleaned out every thread hole and used anti seize on all the bolts that went into castings. I decided to put the front axle in the carrier before putting the frame tubes in. I figured it would be easier to do it now with everything upside down than trying to drive the roll pin in from under it after assembly.
With the tubes set loosely to the front and back, I put the center mount plate on and tightened them up first so the tubes were at the correct angle when I tightened them up. Then I tightened up the rear clamps and the front mounting. And yes, I made sure the right side tube was butted up against the roll pin in the trans axle. Then just for the fun of it I set the top cover on and set a few bolts in it to make sure the transmission shifted properly. It shifted fine in all gears happily. Now, if I can ever find a couple shift knobs the levers will be complete.
Well, that's going to be it for a while. I have to wait till the new matched belt sets get here before I put the clutch/brake assembly in. But I'm going to spend some time with my son for a week or so. Were going to go dirt bike riding and take the boat out, (when the temps are under 105).
Hope your enjoying this build as much as I am.
Edited by LRCXed, August 02, 2017 - 05:11 PM.