Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1050 restoration, paying the tractor back!

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 LRCXed OFFLINE  

LRCXed
  • Member No: 87288
  • 275 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi to everyone that's been helping me behind the scenes for the last couple months.Been researching the site for info that has helped a LOT. I've been working on my 1050 and using this site for more help than I could have imagined. Great people here and lots of information.

Some history. Back in around 2003 I went out to a guys shop to buy a wood router table. Next doors to him I see this small tractor overgrown with weeds. Hmmm, I'm doing landscaping of my house, so I ask if it's for sale. Yes, $100 later and I bring it home. New battery, rebuild the carb, pull the head to check the cylinder, resurface the head & deck and remove one of the two head gaskets that someone put in, service all the fluids and fire it up and running fine. This came with a rotor tiller and a front plow blade. So for several years, I used it to till up my large corner lot so I could prepare it for a new lawn front & back. Along the way, I built a drag behind scraper that had drop down tines to loosen the soils and remove weeds or debris while I was dragging it, and pull them up to level the ground. I also built a large trench digging wheel that bolts to the right side of the tiller after I unbolt all the tine blades. My property is based on hard pan dirt, so I needed it to dig trenches to do the sprinkler system. This beast never let me down for more than 13 years no mater how long I let it sit or when I called it into service.

A couple years ago or more, I started it up to do some scraping in the back yard, when all of a sudden it popped out of first gear. Other gears still worked so I kept on with the job. After that I parked it and covered it up with a tarp. A few weeks ago a guy showed interest in it when he came to spray the property for bugs. I told him about the gear problem, but he never came back. In the mean time I do research and find this great site. I found, and was hoping, it was just a shifter fork that had broken. So I dug into it and pulled the cover off. NOPE, it's the front gear on the cluster that I ground off over the years of not knowing about proper shifting, as well as that little break shoe that was worn off completely.

With the info on here, I find Brian at Bolens Parts and Supplies. He not only supplied me with seals and other parts, but led me to

Awesome Custom Machine, LLC on eBay where he rebuilds the cluster gear. Also finding the process to pull the trans axle apart I get the gear out and ship it out to be repaired.

OK, so here's the 1050 when I got it and was working the property with it. You'll see it looked a lot better then than it does now.

IMAG0025.JPG

Here it is in the state is is in now with the trans axle out and apart for repairs.

DSC_3743.JPG

I've been taking it apart piece by piece, inspecting and ordering parts as I go. I'm sure I've got LOTS of parts I'm going to need, but some of the stuff I've found wrong has a lot to do with the previous owners not doing proper work on it. Today I pulled the left axle hub off just to find two of the tension spring washers had been locked under the hub nut. I've been using it this way for years.

DSC_3746.JPG

The worst of it is that when they put the left axle hub back together, the 1/4" key was slide down too far. They somehow managed to jam it all together, but, with the key in too far it split the end of the internal coupling, AND bent the 1/4" X 1" key in the middle. New one already on the way.

DSC_3747.JPG

Well, that's it for now. I'm waiting on more parts to come in from Brian. During that time I'll be vapor blasting parts getting them ready to reassemble. This Isn't going to be just a repair and return to service. I've already got the new full 1050 decal set. So this will end up being a full restoration, with help from all the guru's here of coarse!

Thanks for all you have done so far to help the new guys and the old tractors like us.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 10 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,270 Thanks
  • 7,657 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:14 PM

Neat to bring them back to life. Brian's good guy for parts.  One thing I'm not sure of is this "Vapor Blasting" you mention in post. What???  That's new one to me. Is this something done with no media then or just what does this mean?

• boyscout862, logmillingman and LRCXed have said thanks

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 441 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:30 PM

It's great that your giving it love. That's a good machine. Keep us posted on your progress!

#4 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,192 Thanks
  • 990 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:36 PM

Had it since 03, that makes it part of the family. Don

#5 LRCXed OFFLINE  

LRCXed
  • 275 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 12:03 AM

Neat to bring them back to life. Brian's good guy for parts.  One thing I'm not sure of is this "Vapor Blasting" you mention in post. What???  That's new one to me. Is this something done with no media then or just what does this mean?

Grumpy, Vapor blasting is a special built cabinet that mixes very fine glass bead with water mixed into a high pressure and blasted on the part through a nozzle. With the water cushion around each of the glass bead, it cleans the part slowly and does not damage the metal surface. Dry glass bead leaves a coarse rough finish. Vapor blasting cleans the surface as well as smoothing the surface. If it's aluminum, it actually closes the pours of it as it cleans. This makes the surface less apt to corrosion due to weather exposure. I'll post some pictures of it when I get some parts ready. I mainly do restorations of old motorcycles and use the system to restore motors and other parts. If you all don't mind, I'll post a couple pics of a before and after from a bike motor.

And yes, too bad we can't bring life back to all "family members" when they get worn out or broken down! But then again................ :-)

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,509 Thanks
  • 17,909 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 06:28 AM

Looks like things are coming together nice job

• boyscout862, Bolens800uk, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#7 AUTOLUKE OFFLINE  

AUTOLUKE
  • Member No: 87497
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 11:55 AM

Dr Bolens

Great minds run alike.

Just today I posted a request for information as to why my inner races and thrust bearing have been demolished after only one year of use.

Have just ordered another set, and want to head off the problem before assembly.

• boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,630 Thanks
  • 8,592 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 02:12 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for the tube frame shop manual, if you need it. Good Luck, rick
  • logmillingman said thank you

#9 LRCXed OFFLINE  

LRCXed
  • 275 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I did a lot of research on here before I started this project. I already have the manuals and parts list downloaded.

Today I repaired the right hub free wheel pin casting. Just like a lot of them I've seen here in projects, mine was broken off. So taking the example I saw in another build, not sure who's, I made a piece and mig welded it on.

DSC_3754.JPG

BTW, here's the difference between dry glass beading and vapor blasting. Dry comes out more coarse, but it's better for paint adhesion. Vapor blasting sort of polishes the surface. It doesn't damage the metal. I've even used it to clean pistons, plastics, rubber, and even cleaned water stains off glass.

This bronze thrust washer looks worn to me. Haven't been able to find a new one. If anyone has a new one that they want to sell I'd be in for it. I already have the bushings for the hub on the way, but would like to replace this as well.

DSC_3757.JPG DSC_3760.JPG

Edited by LRCXed, July 01, 2017 - 02:49 PM.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,763 Thanks
  • 2,015 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 09:24 AM

Welcome aboard,nice to see another tractor getting done,got your thrust washer setting aside,was great talking with you
  • Bolens800uk, logmillingman and LRCXed have said thanks

#11 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,596 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 04:43 PM

Good to see you investing in your old trusty steed. Look forward to the updates.

#12 AUTOLUKE OFFLINE  

AUTOLUKE
  • Member No: 87497
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 04:51 AM

I am a new player in the thrust washer department, and conclude that washers are located on both sides of the axle, and by installing the correct washer thickness I can control the end play.

Am I correct ?

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,509 Thanks
  • 17,909 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 06:07 AM

In some cases shim washers are needed for maintain proper endplay

#14 LRCXed OFFLINE  

LRCXed
  • 275 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Thanks guys.

I've got the hubs cleaned up, and installed to seals for the axle on both sides. Getting the old ones out was fun without pulling the axle was fun. While waiting for parts to show up I've been dealing with other jobs on the bench. Spent the last 2 days porting a set of heads for a motorcycle motor I'm building. Today I'm going to contact my paint supply store and see if they can cross over the Martin Senour 53A-1614, A/E 5.0 VOC, Corral Cordovan Metallic paint code to PPG. When the trans axle is finished I'll be painting it.

DSC_3761.JPG

One thing I've not been able to find new is the cap for the dip stick on the TRA-10D motor. The seal is there but the cap has been missing ever since I got the tractor. I've had it tied down with wire and covered with a small plastic bag. If anyone has a spare used dipstick or just the cap, I'd love to buy it.

DSC_3765.JPG

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and the help found on here.

Larry

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,509 Thanks
  • 17,909 posts