Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1965 Toro Suburban 55100 transaxle issue.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • Member No: 87447
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 07:05 PM

I need some help.

I have a Peerless 600 in a Little 1965 Toro Suburban suburban model 55100 riding mower.  It was going to the scrap yard so I rescued it.  It runs darn near perfect and the mower deck runs great.   Unfortunately the transmission does not work.  It is a old shaft driven style peerless with a side shaft 7hp briggs.  belt comes off the engine and down to a prop shaft back to the peerless transmission.

The shaft is of course spinning and when you rev the engine up it is spinning faster.   When engaging the gears the I can feel them mesh a bit and go in like normal.  But when you let the clutch out it doesn't do much. It may have a very tiny tiny amount of forward movement but it isn't enough to pull even the tractors weight in any gear.   I got it from the original owner and he says it just simply quit moving one day.

It freewheels fine if that makes any difference.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated if anyone knows anything about these.  I am a machinist by trade and somewhat mechanically inclined. I just haven't had any experience with the transaxles.
Thanks ahead of time

#2 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 07:08 PM

Pics of the mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00000_f660S3Tpet9_1200x900.jpg
  • 01212_86yneaMsuXD_600x450.jpg

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 08:57 PM

I would check the drive belt tension 1st. Sounds like loose belt(s) to me.
  • Deezil said thank you

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 09:19 PM

Or a sheared key on the pulley for the transmission.  Seen that before on a peerless transmission.  If the belt is tight, I would drop the trans mission and see if the pulley is really turning the input shaft when its under load.  If not, time to open up the transmission and see whats going on.   Mike

• Deezil said thank you

#5 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 09:56 PM

The pulley is rotating the prop shaft at a furious pace when throttled up.   Lovejoy coupling at the trans looks to be in good shape as well. 

I did notice this.  The wheel hubs are similar to rear engine snappers. The right one has a drive pin on the outside of the hub and it is present.

I noticed the left side wheel just free wheeled on the axle shaft.   I went ahead and pulled the anti scalp wheel off the deck and pulled the left rear wheel.   There has been some obvious work done to try and keep a pin or bolt through the hub tube and through the axle shaft.  The left side I guess is supposed to be pinned on the back side of the hub. 

I'm not sure if this is the reason it isn't moving or not.    I slipped the drive belt off and rotated the drive shaft by hand but it didn't seem to move the wheels at all while in gear. I tried all of them.   

The below pics if they show.. are of the right and left hubs.  I guess I'll get a grade 8 bolt and pop through there and see if it was the issue.

Right side hub.  Outer drive pin.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1078.jpg

Edited by Deezil, June 29, 2017 - 10:15 PM.

• stiemmy said thank you

#6 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 10:02 PM

Left side hub. Jacked up tube with no pin. Was free wheeling on the axle and pushed all the way up to the trans housing.  With the hub pushed further out on the shaft to meet the hole in the axle thee wheels are equally spaced to the outside of the fenders now.

This left hub looks to have a pretty warped hub bore.  I wonder if a snapper hub could be used as a replacement?  (hub on the right in the last pic)  Looks real close.

As a edit. I have the 55100 schematic for the rear end.  It doesn't show any pins in either hub.  The later 770 toro model schematic does though. 

Attached Thumbnails

• hub1.jpg
  • hub3.jpg

Edited by Deezil, June 29, 2017 - 10:18 PM.

• stiemmy said thank you