• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,321 Thanks
  • 3,245 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 11:57 PM

I noticed some larvae on my potatoes at different stages. The very young were as small as a pin head & black in color. The older ones were as large as a BB & dark brown or rust color with a little black head. The adults were like your first pic with the stripes. I hand picked the adults by knocking them off onto a small plastic bowl. The larvae I done the same way but just tapped the leaf over the bowl. When I found the cluster of eggs underneath the leaves I just broke that leaf off. It took me about a week & sprayed only twice. I check everyday because they like other plants too. This was easy for me because I only have four 24' rows. This is what I sprayed with a garden sprayer on top & underneath the plants.
https://www.google.c...qwaAiJcEALw_wcB
  • oldedeeres, FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#32 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,321 Thanks
  • 3,245 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 12:20 AM

Use Tempo. An insecticide that is very effective and very safe. I have used it for year on garden crops as well ad around the house, in and out. Takes care of the spiders, fleas, ticks, and any other pest you don't want around. Kind of pricey at $45- $48 a bottle of 16 oz but onl y take about 16ml per 3 gal. sprayer so it goes a long ways.

http://www.domyownpe...en-qa-2957.html
  • FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#33 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,321 Thanks
  • 3,245 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 12:20 AM

Tempo is what I use. Kills them quick and spray stays on until the next rain.

http://www.domyownpe...en-qa-2957.html
  • FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#34 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,482 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 06:06 AM

The vacum keeps you from handling them. They stink so bad when mashed. I just dumped them in a bucket of soapy water, put the lid on for awhile then dump later.

I understand what the vacuum does , but I can't understand why.

Are ladybugs good for garden?
Ladybugs are capable of consuming up to 50 to 60 aphids per day but will also eat a variety of other insects and larvae including scales, mealy bugs, leaf hoppers, mites, and various types of soft-bodied insects. Ladybugs, also called lady beetles or ladybird beetles, are a very beneficial group of insects.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#35 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,845 Thanks
  • 8,956 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 06:10 AM

I only vacuumed them when they get in the house in the fall.

• Sawdust said thank you

#36 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,321 Thanks
  • 3,245 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 06:52 AM

I understand what the vacuum does , but I can't understand why.

Are ladybugs good for garden?

Ladybugs are capable of consuming up to 50 to 60 aphids per day but will also eat a variety of other insects and larvae including scales, mealy bugs, leaf hoppers, mites, and various types of soft-bodied insects. Ladybugs, also called lady beetles or ladybird beetles, are a very beneficial group of insects.

Like LD mentioned I too only vacuum the ones that get into the house. Here is a link that explains the difference between the lady bug & the Asian type.
https://www.thespruc...adybugs-2656236
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#37 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,845 Thanks
  • 8,956 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 07:10 AM

Back to the garden; will chickens eat the potato bugs?

#38 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 08:24 AM

Every time I think of potato bugs it reminds me of my mom telling how my aunt and her worked on a potatoe farm , their job was to hand pick potato bugs and put them in a bucket , kerosene if I remember correctly . That would have been in the late thirites .
  • Cvans, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#39 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,871 Thanks
  • 4,020 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 11:14 AM

Chickens, ducks and geese will all eat potato bugs. My MIL used to let them all free range in the garden after the plants were big enough to withstand the collateral damage the birds did to the veggies. Unfortunately the strawberries suffered regardless,  You have to get up pretty darn early to get ahead of a chicken, lol.

• Alc, Cvans, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#40 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,761 Thanks
  • 3,801 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 09:24 PM

10 bugs today, 5 yesterday. I feel I have them well under control. But have to keep going every day, for while yet , then can start skipping days. Plants are doing good.
Buckwheat is doing well too.
I also cut the grass there today.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by propane1, July 05, 2017 - 09:28 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#41 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,819 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 05:49 AM

Neem oil and spinosad! Both are organic and will knock them little pests OUT! Deader than dead and for a few weeks. The neem oil even smells good like orange juice. I use a brand called Captian Jacks dead bug! For potato bugs I love this stuff because it works sooo good! And mixing in some Neem oil makes it stick!and last a touch longer by sheltering the spinosad from the suns uv that cuts back on its effectiveness over time.
  • KennyP, Cvans, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#42 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,712 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 06:24 AM

Neem oil and spinosad! Both are organic and will knock them little pests OUT! Deader than dead and for a few weeks. The neem oil even smells good like orange juice. I use a brand called Captian Jacks dead bug! For potato bugs I love this stuff because it works sooo good! And mixing in some Neem oil makes it stick!and last a touch longer by sheltering the spinosad from the suns uv that cuts back on its effectiveness over time.

I have had excellent results from the captain jack's. I didn't have much of a problem this year so I didn't spray. Other years it did good for me.
  • Cvans and propane1 have said thanks

#43 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,789 Thanks
  • 5,744 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 08:45 PM

Neem oil and spinosad! Both are organic and will knock them little pests OUT! 

Thanks for the tip! good information.

• propane1 said thank you

#44 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 218 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 02:08 PM

I've gotten good results from neem oil as well. If you get plain neem oil, when you mix it up, add a drop of dish soap to the sprayer to help break the surface tension of the water and you'll get better coverage.

• KennyP, skyrydr2, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#45 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,321 Thanks
  • 3,245 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 08:31 PM

10 bugs today, 5 yesterday. I feel I have them well under control. But have to keep going every day, for while yet , then can start skipping days. Plants are doing good.
Buckwheat is doing well too.
I also cut the grass there today.

Noel

Looks like their coming along good. I really like the potatoes out by themselves like your doing. Is the buckwheat a cover crop.
  • propane1 said thank you