• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • Member No: 71143
  • 65 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 09:58 AM

I believe the governor broke in the 18HP GTII.  It races to wide open when started with 0 throttle control.  All the linkage looks intact.  Makes allot of metal noise inside as it starts and shuts down.  Its blowing allot of smoke anyway and i think its time to replace it.  These HS Opposed twins are not easy to find.  I was thinking of putting a 22 HP Predator in it from HF.  How do you mount the rear pulley for the ground drive belt?  Does the screen come off and some adapter bolts on? the rest of the tractor is in great shape and i have extra decks for it so i cant just let it go.

• bprzyw said thank you

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,131 Thanks
  • 785 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 10:49 AM

Did you try plugging the model# in at searsonline.com?  They should still have the parts fiche where you can see how it goes together.  Might need to take it apart first, measure shaft size etc to make sure the new one will work.  Or have a machine shop if you need a new pulley etc.

Haven't heard many of these being repowered, the 18's are pretty much tanks.  but if you have the 2-speed rear it will probably outlive the motor.  I think larrybl redid one of these tractors (hulk1/2?), might want to ask him, or maybe kennyp, good luck

• bprzyw said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,920 Thanks
  • 2,548 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 05:19 PM

It drives me nuts how fast people want to put a Predator on everything, they are cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for they are junk.  and for the work needed in many cases to adapt one alot of times is not worth it.

If yours is horizontal shaft those engines can be hard to come by in any configuration... single, opposed twin, V twin yet vertical shaft ones seem to ooze out of teh woodwork....

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,428 Thanks
  • 4,127 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 09:37 PM

Gasket kits are available. The engine should be a 422400 series. I would tear it down and see what the issue is before trying to re-power. These engines can be found if you look hard enough.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,270 Thanks
  • 7,656 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 12:52 AM

Not understanding the question. You don't have shaft off flywheel do you? You use pto side and pulley? No screek on that side then. Would just need same diameter pulley with correct bore for pto shaft. If you are running off flywheel side, THEN you might have trouble with joint adapter find.

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 03:47 AM

I am not sure what all the negativity is about. The poster simply ask for some help if anyone had experience with this exact swap.
There have been several members who have used these predator engines as a replacement. Whether it is because the original engine has exceeded mechanical life, or they are using it as a temporary transplant while they replace / repair the original engine.... most have been complimentary of the power, reliability, and fuel economy.
No one is suggesting that the original poster is planning on getting the same 2000 hours of run time that the original engine has provided.

I cannot answer your original question, I can only wish you luck in finding solutions.

Edited by MH81, June 30, 2017 - 06:24 AM.

• Cvans, MolonLabe and det12187 have said thanks

#7 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 76 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 06:31 AM

:picsoritsnotyours:

#8 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,428 Thanks
  • 4,127 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 07:57 AM

I have not run across a thread where this swap was done. I think the big issue is that the ground drive is off one side of the engine (that normally has the air intake screen) and the PTO comes off the drive shaft side. I'm sure the electrical (mainly the charge circuit) would be a challenge. I guess it is doable, but I would like to see it done before I would try and tackle it.

I have heard of putting a Briggs 18 opposed in a Ford LGT before, but after seeing the modifications that were required to make it work, I quickly discarded the ides.

Sorry, no real help here.

#9 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • 65 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Its basically the same setup as shaft drive cubs.  Screen side faces rear of tractor.  Just looking at pics i can see bolt holes inside screen of the Predator.  And the front pointing shaft has the electric pto on it.  I have not had time to look at the original briggs to see if the pully bolts on to a hub, or if it slides on the shaft. My local craigslist is raining vertical shaft engines.  I have found 2 16hp vanguards off cubs but they are shaft drive which ends up having the same pulley mounting issue. The Predator is completely self contained so im assuming you can just mount it, hook up  battery and your back in business. 

#10 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,428 Thanks
  • 4,127 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 01:43 PM

There is an adapter on the brigs engine. I'll see about posting some pictures as I have one torn apart right now.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,061 Thanks
  • 9,576 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 07:10 PM

Adaptors to attach to the flywheel side are readily available from several sources. The bolt pattern on the Predator is the same as a Honda GX630. You have to cut out the plastic screen to get in there.

Keep in mind the Predator only has a 3 amp charging system. It cannot handle a machine with an electric pto for extended periods without help.

Edited by Cat385B, June 30, 2017 - 07:12 PM.

• MH81 and BowDown have said thanks

#12 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,428 Thanks
  • 4,127 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 07:43 PM

Here are the pictures in order of, Flywheel, Inner Fan, Fan bracket, Booster Fan, Adapter, and pulley.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 flywheel.jpg
  • 2 fan.jpg
  • 3 fan bracket.jpg
  • 4 notched booster fan bottom.jpg
  • 5 booster fan.jpg
  • 6 pulley adapter bottom.jpg
  • 7 pulley adapter.jpg
  • 8 pulley.jpg
  • 9 installed.jpg

• MH81, Cvans and dtsh have said thanks

#13 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 120 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted July 05, 2017 - 10:55 AM

I believe you could pull it off. I have recently replaced my Kohler K482 in a Bolen's 1886-01 with a Kohler command pro 23.5hp swap. Only part I needed was on the screen side, (which faces forwards) and it was an extended adapter plate for the front PTO assembly, which I got from Kohler. The only thing from keeping me from the Predator, was the whole charging system, 3 amp vs the 24 amp in the new Kohler.

Good Luck!!

Edited by bprzyw, July 05, 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#14 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • 65 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 11:41 AM

bprzyw,  where did you source the kohler?  New or from another tractor?