• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clevis ONLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 205 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 09:15 PM

Fiddlesticks! Last night I was using the HT20 with my - new to me - Bolens cart to pick up brush around my property into burn piles. After I was done I parked it in front of my shop to detach the cart. Then I went to start it to park it. No go. The starter motor turns, but the pinion gear just sits there. It doesn't retract back or move forward to engage the ring gear. It's been making some funny noises recently. Looks like it finally gave up. I had to push her in for the night.
My question is how to pull it? With these HTs the starter is tucked back behind the frame. I've read threads here where some say you have to pull the engine, some say you can just jack up the engine, but I can't find specifics. It looks to me that if I can get the engine at least 3-4 inches higher it may create enough room to get it done. My HT20 has a 2 piece driveshaft. It looks like if I unbolt the engine mounting/ support plate from the frame, take off the PTO belts and maybe take off the gas tank/ battery plate (?) it may let me jack up the engine to create enough room.
Can anyone who's done it let me know? Or if there is a thread out there with specifics on the job, please link it my way. Thanks!
  • bprzyw said thank you

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 11:53 AM

The short answer is, yes, the engine needs to be raised, and the parts you mentioned need to come off.

Here is a thread I posted about my HT20.

Post #32 has some pics, and post #35 is a little description of what we did to raise it.

I had to change the charging stator on the engine which required me to lift it up, and did some cleaning. The starter was accessible at this point if there were would have been a need to change it.

Hope this helps?

http://gardentractor...ink-ht20/page-3

Edited by stiemmy, June 29, 2017 - 11:55 AM.

• bprzyw and Clevis have said thanks

#3 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,188 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 11:59 AM

Yah, a real pain in the neck. I swapped  mine out on my 1886 with a friend who has done it in the past on his. We disconnected  the driveshaft and raised up the engine, actually we raised it up enough to turn it a bit sideways and let it set on the frame rails. With two people you can then tilt it a little and remove the starter.

We had to remove the hood latch to let the hood open to the ground, remove the gas tank and battery and support structure. Disconnected the steering shaft under the tractor, easy to do just a cotter pin. Then pulled the steering shaft attached to the steering wheel up out of the way so that the engine driveshaft would not hit the steering shaft. Also removed the rectifier from the firewall because the engine wanted to hit it when we raised it. It is not horrible but just takes time to remove all the stuff around the engine to raise it. 

Edited by Husky, June 29, 2017 - 12:02 PM.

• bprzyw and Clevis have said thanks

#4 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 120 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 12:15 PM

Agree, it's a PITA, but I changed mine by removing the hood then the engine bolts (not the engine plate bolts) and jacked it up 2-3 inches, just enough to remove and take to a starter place to have it rebuilt. $65, and all was rebuilt, cleaned and painted. 2 day wait time. But that only got me soo far. Then engine compression was low, removed heads to see cyl #1 hav a .40~ gouge in it. So then I got a new Kohler command pro 23.5hp, and the old engine sits there. Oh, it's a 1886-01. Good luck with your repair.

B

Edited by bprzyw, June 29, 2017 - 12:16 PM.

• Clevis said thank you

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 06:18 PM

Agree, it's a PITA, but I changed mine by removing the hood then the engine bolts (not the engine plate bolts) and jacked it up 2-3 inches, just enough to remove and take to a starter place to have it rebuilt. $65, and all was rebuilt, cleaned and painted. 2 day wait time. But that only got me soo far. Then engine compression was low, removed heads to see cyl #1 hav a .40~ gouge in it. So then I got a new Kohler command pro 23.5hp, and the old engine sits there. Oh, it's a 1886-01. Good luck with your repair.
B

Yes, very good point with the hood Bprzyw,

Removing the hood gives much more clearance, and just disconnecting the hood stop, and laying the hood over is very hard on the hinge itself.
  • bprzyw said thank you