• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Thorr40 OFFLINE  

Thorr40

• Member No: 5870
  • 9 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 12:33 PM

This is my second attempt at posting this (don't know what I did wrong). I need some electrical help. I want to add a generator to so I can run an electrical lift, but I don't have the knowledge on how to do it. Like what wires go to what and where. Thanks for the help.

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,128 Thanks
  • 6,232 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 01:08 PM

What size charging system in in your Predator?   You should be able to come right off the battery, through a double pole double throw switch and to your electric lift.  That is the way I run my winch on a Bolens G16XL.  Depending on how much you use the lift you may have to charge the battery once in a while if the Predator alternator don't keep up.

• boyscout862, logmillingman and BolensHorse72 have said thanks

#3 Thorr40 OFFLINE  

Thorr40

• 9 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 12:15 AM

The predator engines have a 3 amp charging system. Only enough to maintain a fully charged battery, you can't put any load at all on the battery it will not charge what was lost. That is the reason I was asking if it is possible to add a generator with a voltage regulator. If so how to do it. I do have a generator off a cub cadet 125 I think still works, plus the voltage regulator.
Tom

#4 Thorr40 OFFLINE  

Thorr40

• 9 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 10:24 AM

Is the lack of replies due to the fact that I put a predator engine in my Bolens tractor? I find it funny if rebuilding a car and you swap an engine its great, but do it to a garden tractor you have committed some form of sacrilege. I don't get it. Plus their warranty is outstanding. Tom

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,473 Thanks
  • 2,458 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 05:27 PM

Nothing wrong with putting a different engine in a 1050 in my opinion - better option than scrapping the tractor.   I have repowered both my 1050's with Honda GX390 engines - here is a link to the second one I did - http://gardentractor...th-honda-gx390/ .  I did it in such a way that the tractor could be put back to original very easily rather than cutting the hood to make it fit.  The first repower only had a 3 amp charging system but I was able to make and wind a stator and installed a three terminal voltage regulator and it now output about 8 amps when it is revved up.  When I ordered the engine for the second 1050 I ordered it with an 18 amp charging system so that I did not encounter the same problem.

I do not know if you can get a different stator for your predator or what it would cost - probably the most economical way to get more amperage would be to get an alternator for a late 1970's GM product with the built in voltage regulator and make a bracket so you could mount it and drive it with a belt off of the middle groove of the engine pulley that was originally intended to run a hydraulic pump.  Just a suggestion that may work - if you have pictures of the engine in the tractor you have you could post them so we can see if there are any other pulleys that you could drive the alternator off of or maybe someone else will have a better idea.

• logmillingman and BolensHorse72 have said thanks

#6 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 62 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 06:47 AM

Like 29 chev said run an alternator off the middle grove of the engine pulley. Ought to spin it fast enough to give a decent charge rate when the rpms are up at working speed. I can't help with what you need exactly for a mounting bracket. Someone you know with fabrication skills ought to be able to devise something that bolts on to the engine mounting bolts or the frame tube. Maybe search U-tube for re-powered GTs ?  Might see an example. I don't see any reason not to re-power an old tractor. Provided its done in such a manner so its not a total cob-job. I do think it a shame when I see a good condition,straight as an arrow, totally original tractor horribly hacked to re-power it with something that physically didn't even come close to fitting in place of the original motor. But- the Honda-Predator swap is popular for the tube tractors and many guys out there have done it. Don't feel bad about it for a minute.

• logmillingman and BolensHorse72 have said thanks

#7 Thorr40 OFFLINE  

Thorr40

• 9 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 02:53 PM

I did hack up a hood to make it fit over the engine, but have another in original condition if I want to put the tractor in original condition. Thanks for the help, I have a neighbor who is a "car collector" he may have what 29 Chevy mentioned. Thanks again. Tom

#8 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 387 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 08:44 PM

Has anyone considered the Kohler Command Pro series single cylinder engines? They were recommended to me when I was checking on a new 14 HP engine for my  H14 1456 Bolens  in case I ever had to repower it.

• BolensHorse72 said thank you

#9 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 387 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 12:25 PM

Here is where I went to get info on a repower and if you put your info in on the page they are really good at getting back with you and working with you answering all your questions.

Here is a link for the 1050 Bolens tractor, once at the main page click on repower old equipment, click on Bolens  : www.smallenginewarehouse.com

a list of all the models will come up, click on the one you are looking for. They will have a picture of the tractor and a brief description of the motors that were used in that model and their engine recommendation for replacement. They will tell you if they have physically repowered that model in their facility or not, and if not they will give you the best engine to fit the model you are looking at repowering. I asked a lot of questions and they were very knowledgeable and very helpful.

It seems that the engines that they list that came in the different models is general info and may not be totally accurate to us Bolens guys but work through the process with them if you care too. They also have shaft sleeves to get the right diameter for your original pulley.

I think they are a good resource to get you started on the right path even if you don't end up purchasing an engine, its just great info to take some of the guess work out of the process of repowering. IMO

Edited by logmillingman, July 11, 2017 - 12:57 PM.

• BolensHorse72 said thank you

#10 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 62 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 11:41 AM

I have a Kohler Command 12.5 hp. in my 1050. Liberated it from a Cub Cadet. Shaft size was correct. Works great.
  • logmillingman said thank you