Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 05:27 AM

I've used Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer ,both spay and 8oz bottle and was pretty happy with the ease of use and it's held up good too . My only complaint of 8oz doesn't go far enough . They sell 6 packs at HomeDepot that's a little cheaper buying that way but was wondering if anyone has tried other brands with similar success ?

Amazon has Corroseal in gl containers ,  (strange I  can't copy and past a link )

• Cvans, MFDAC, MolonLabe and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,242 Thanks
  • 43,363 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 05:41 AM

I've used the Rustoleum spray a lot. Did a test on my Cub hood (not intended). It was rusted real bad, wire brushed it and sprayed a good coat on. 4 yrs. later it just had some surface rust, so I finally coated over it.

• Cvans, MFDAC, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 08:37 AM

Best combo I've found is a grinder cup brush, two light coats of Flood Penetrol and two coats paint. Haven't had any problem of paint peeling and it makes a really shiny finish.

Mike

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 10:35 AM

Mike I've never heard of " Flood Penetrol" I'll have to do a search for it

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,242 Thanks
  • 43,363 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 12:53 PM

Mike I've never heard of " Flood Penetrol" I'll have to do a search for it

Me neither!

• MFDAC said thank you

#6 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 01:12 PM

https://www.amazon.c...ywords=rustmort

Wicked stuff, not inexpensive , SEM products top shelf. Daniel ( olcowhand ) recommended it in one of his posts. Goes quite a ways, bought some pump sprayers at HD that screwed right into the bottle.
Two thumbs up ! When it tells you not to get it on your skin they mean it. Surprised will all the gov't regs you can still get something this potent.
  • Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#7 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 01:52 PM

Lowes carries Flood in the paint department, About$10 per quart. It's actually made to add to oil base paints to eliminate brush marks. I tried it as a bare metal primer several years ago and have had great success with it. I don't thin it, just spray it on. Warning it runs easily so don't try to spray on thick coats. I let it dry well before painting. May take several hours to a day to dry depending on temp and humidity. 

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, June 28, 2017 - 01:52 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,141 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 08:08 PM

This paint like stuff or thin like water we are talking about here?  Went to an Orscheln's and got some Agway brand rust sealing paint, just black. Similar to POR 15 but cheaper. Came in Qt, for about $20, not real cheap. Brushed on like paint, little think, shined like crazy and dried very hard. It almost acts like a Glue on jointed areas, so watch coating them. It does say if using outside and in sunlight it will haze and dull. They recommend top coat of paint over it. Seems odd, but I did paint over mine again. I have also used POR 15 and it works same way. Have to order it on-line, expensive. Both of these coatings said not to get into the rim on can, or if sealed, won't be able to open again!!  I KNOW that is true for the Por 15, was more careful with the other.  There was coatings offered in car magazines that I have used and it came in more colors. Not recalling name now.  Zero Rust I think it is. It is similar to the others mentioned, but is more paint like, not quite as tough, and says you don't have to top-coat. I've used that in Red and Black in past. I never keep things long enough to know the long term stand up on these, so can't really tell how long any will last, heh! 

• Alc and MFDAC have said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 09:40 PM

The Flood is about the consistency of varnish and dries clear. It sprays good out of my 1/2 pint sprayer with about 25 psi. Do not try it on aluminum, I primed my old 'Rude outboard with it and it chips easy on bare aluminum.

Mike 

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, June 28, 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#10 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 735 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 09:43 PM

UV light breaks down POR-15. That's why they say to top coat it.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#11 Doxey ONLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 174 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 09:43 PM

I looked it up on YouTube and found the use of phosphoric acid as a rust remover.  They seem to think that is the way to go,  I bought a gallon at Home depot for under $16.  Haven't as yet used it .  Goes by the name "klean-strip prep & etch".

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,883 Thanks
  • 2,011 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 10:05 PM

I don't use rust reformers, clean surface, spray with 2 or3 coats of red oxide primer, then paint as normal.
  • MFDAC and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#13 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 10:41 PM

I don't use rust reformers, clean surface, spray with 2 or3 coats of red oxide primer, then paint as normal.

I agree usually sand blast and prep and paint if it's bad
  • MFDAC said thank you

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 05:38 AM

Here's what brought this thread question up . My wife wanted a piece of welded wire fencing across the lower part of a sliding door screen . My daughter's dog hasn't figured out that jumping up on the door , ,any door isn't a good idea . Anyway the thin fencing had some rust and I realized that I used up the 8oz bottle of Rustoleum  Rust Reform . The local hardware store the used to carry it only had spray cans  , Walmart was supposed to have the 8oz bottle but after my wife drove 1/2 hour + toll they didn't ( another complaint sent to them ) they had the spray cans so she got one . She thought it would be easier I guess she never tried painting thin wire fencing , more paint ended up on the ground even when I tried holding the can a few inches away . So now I'm going to pick out a rust convertor type product  , hopefully in a larger container plus a few cans for those small jobs . We all know that it's a pita when you start a project ( reads : "The ruler of the house" wants a job done  ) and you don't have the materials on hand to finish .   

• KennyP, MFDAC and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#15 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,654 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 07:05 AM

I looked it up on YouTube and found the use of phosphoric acid as a rust remover.  They seem to think that is the way to go,  I bought a gallon at Home depot for under $16.  Haven't as yet used it .  Goes by the name "klean-strip prep & etch".

I use it to remove rust from fuel tanks.  Works great when it can soak awhile.  I think it's the active ingredient in Naval Jelly.

The big problem is steel will flash rust almost immediately after using phosphoric acid.  I like to clean water rinse a couple times, blow excess water away with compressed air then rinse again with lacquer thinner.

Also, you don't want to use phosphoric acid with zinc (pot metal).  It eats right through it.

• Alc, MFDAC and Mark 149 J. have said thanks