Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Gator Mulcher blades? Anyone ever use them?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deereowner OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4179
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 10:12 AM

Anyone have experience with these blades? Are they as good as they say, or just another "sounds good, but works like crap" product?

#2 deereowner OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4179
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 10:12 AM

Forgot the link in case you have never seen them.

OREGON mower blades feature FUSION and Gator Mulcher 3-in-1 technology

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 10:16 AM

I have never personally used the gator blades but a lot of people swear by them. I would love to hear thoughts from others that have used them.

#4 tankdriver OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3674
  • 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 11:02 AM

I love them. They are great for cutting grass that you do not bag. But they are not a high lift blade. Because of the cuts on the back side of the blade, they do not move as much air as a high lift blade does, but also I use less gas when I use them. My yard is basicly divides in 3 sections, then a area around the house I bag. When I used high lift blades all the time each section used about a tank of grass, when I use Gator, I use about 1/3 less for the same area.

I like them well enough, that I am willing to change from High Lift when I cut around the house to Gators for the rest of the yard.

Edited by tankdriver, June 20, 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Got some similar on the MTD Ranch King. They don't grind up tall grass very well. Not really impressed.

#6 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 06:46 PM

I got them on my 416hydro with 48 inch deck i really dont see the differnce honest only think good i can say about them is they are thicker and i dont think they will bend as easy

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 10:24 PM

The name is a little deceiving. They dont replace a true mulching deck but they do grind up the clippings more. If you want to get real fancy get the Meg-Mo Systems - Lawn Mower Blades, Replacement Mower Blades, Sharpen Lawn Mower Blades, Mulch Grass system. Best set of blades I have used
  • Hammer said thank you

#8 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:49 AM

I use them on my Craftsman GT 5000, they cut better than the stock blades and cause less clumping. With the stock blades the mower would get clogged up more often and then spit out a huge chunk of grass. The only times it will clog with the gator blades is if you run across a area of grass clippings a few times and then it seams to get so many clippings in the air under the deck that it kind of gets clogged. Typically then I will turn off the deck and as it winds down it will spit out a glob of clippings.

They are also a lot thicker and heavier than the stock blades as Rocking416 mentioned.