3 replies to this topic

#1 sauerssays OFFLINE  

sauerssays
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 86628
  • 7 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 11:20 AM

Hi,replacing outer bull gear housings on 63 Jim Dandy,1 side had washers between frame and drop housing (one gear sits in)
Other side did not? Are there supposed to be washers between frame abd bull gear housing? Thanks

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,569 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hi this past winter when I had my 1949 Economy a part to paint it had washers on both sides between the frame mount and the drop box, I'm thinking they were to shim things so as to not put strain on the mount or gearbox.

• Alc and sauerssays have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,110 Thanks
  • 7,548 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 01:27 PM

Think they just take up gaps and allow slippage against that roller bearing edge in the casting also. Seems that big bull gear moves back/forth a little, not sure I've ever seen any tech on allowance though. Just don't want it tight, or binding. If was in there, I'ld put back if you know the order they were in. One thing on the bolts holding housing to the frame, four I believe. They should have washers on them, originally held a gasket under them to keep oil from leaking. These have nuts on outside under frame. If you take these nuts off at times, they sometimes turn the bolt head inside and you can't get it to come off w/out pulling housing apart again to hole with wrench.  I think I saw your post on other PK group and Larry Goss was talking about those bolts. He welded a small strap between them to keep from turning. Attach pairs for that. Might want to check those, see if leaking under-neath. If are, remove one at time, put on sealer under washer at least, then tighten back up. DO NOT use gorilla strength, just a good tight torque on them. Clear as Mud?

• sauerssays said thank you

#4 sauerssays OFFLINE  

sauerssays
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 86628
  • 7 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 02:51 PM

Thanks guys,it had 1 washer.these bolts ( 4 total) go through frame and drop housings..they are accessible. Everyone seems to think the same so I will be spacing it with washers.So hard when someone had already "worked"on it.I keep finding things that just keep me wondering. Thanks again