• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toro935 OFFLINE  

Toro935
  • Member No: 87427
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 09:48 AM

Just inherited my grandfather's toro 935 with a Tecumseh V70 engine. Remember him saying he thought he head a slight nock. Well I used it a handful of times and now it won't start. And knock got a little louder. So I figure I'll do a rebuild on it, because I'm cheap and don't want to spend 650 on an replacement engine. I know that Tecumseh went out of business, but looked on eBay for a short block. Was wondering what short block number would work with my engine now. Looking for short block number, any info or other options or suggestions

Thanks in advance.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 11:08 AM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

Sounds like the rod is knocking , If you want to rebuild your motor I can supply you with all the parts needed, Many think Tecumseh is completely gone but that is not the case , the company that bought them still makes parts for almost all their engines they were supposed to bring back the motors as well but when Tecumseh sold the company they found the moulds were in very poor shape and by the time they could get to making new ones the chinese crap took over their market. They still make new motors but they are under the "LCT" engine line sort of a clone of the old snowking.

Whats the full spec and Serial of your engine I can look up short blocks for you

• KennyP and Toro935 have said thanks

#3 Toro935 OFFLINE  

Toro935
  • Member No: 87427
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for all the great info, you learn something new everyday. I guess I wasn't looking online the correct way lol. This will be my first mower rebuild, have done many other but no mower motors. I actually found the original owners manual for it too, yes I think the motor was tired. You could complete rotation on the motor easily with one hand. That's awesome that I can still get parts for it.

Model v70-125052
Serial 9071 06605

Thank you again for all the help. I appreciate it.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• Member No: 8763
  • 1,809 Thanks
  • 999 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 06:09 PM

I was told today that Lauson handles the Tecumseh parts. Anyone know if this is true?

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted June 28, 2017 - 01:18 AM

Some place in Janesville, WI has building downtown that is remains of Tec stuff. Thought just left overs, now reading here on still making? I have bought little things in bags with that adress. That's where I'm from.