• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • Member No: 87447
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 10:10 PM

I figured I'd post this up since I am working on this as well.   I found this guy during a vintage Minibike rescue 15 or so years ago as well.  I don't know what year it is.   I don't know if the sulky is original to it but it's been with it since the first owner.  Everybody wants to ride it when I cut the grass with it but they take a few turns and get off of it scared.  I donno what the big deal is.  Safety Sally's I guess.   Its a st27 model.... hard tires are rough on ya.

I have the carb in my Hornady ultrasonic cleaner with some 38 special brass right now :)  but its a runner. Has the original oil bath air cleaner as well.  I know a few of you guys have them here also.

IMAG1068_zpse9pieg9p.jpg

• Gtractor, hamman, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#2 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 249 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 10:22 PM

When my Father was in the business in the 50's, he traded one of those beasts in (no sulky) & as a young teenager I used it to mow around the displayed farm equipment.  I recall it being brutal.  Picked up a small chunk of angle iron hidden in the grass one day and buried it in nearby telephone pole.  Don't recall what became of the Snapper.

Skip

• hamman and Deezil have said thanks

#3 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • Member No: 87447
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 10:46 PM

It is a handful for sure. I really like cutting with it though. You get used to the way it handles real quick.

It makes the lawn look real nice but that's mainly due to the slider blade laying the grass down before the blade even touches it :) LOL! 

The Engine seems way under rated.  The mower will plow through even the tallest grass without a flinch even while hauling me around on the sulky. i have the block off plate to use it as a mulcher as well.  I have the pickup finger as well but it is bent into a L shape LOL!  I bet that was a fun ride when it got hooked on whatever it got hooked on,

It's probably one I wont ever let go even though they are cranking up in price.

Edited by Deezil, June 26, 2017 - 10:54 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 12:23 AM

Looks like somthing that will draw a crowd every time you mow. Don

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 2,670 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 03:27 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,822 Thanks
  • 6,054 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 07:27 AM

Looks like a throw off from the old Kris-Cut push mowers.  Deck is the same shape, stub for the single front wheel, but some had 2 front wheels, narrow rear part of the deck for the wheels that are on the sulky.  Rope start direct belt drive to the deck.  Lot of vibration from them.  50+ years ago the State bought a whole truck load of them.  Used in the State parks, highway trim work, all through the State system.  Heavy aluminum deck that would last forever.  I finally sold one I had about 10 years ago for $35.

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,187 Thanks
  • 2,781 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 10:00 AM

In 1956 and 1957 my dad and uncle took care of three separate cemeteries. I drove one like that that had a Wisconsin engine on it and one had a clinton engine on it. One had the seat sulky and the other had the stand up sulky. I used to have a few of the turtle heads from old units , but over the years they have gotten lost. Looks nice. Lot of memories after seeing this. Thanks for posting.                                                                                                                    Roger

• Deezil said thank you

#8 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,478 Thanks
  • 941 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 06:42 PM

Isaac Boyd founded Southern Saw Works in 1890. His company specialized in manufacturing saw blades for the lumber industry in Georgia and neighboring states. Years later William R Smith purchased Southern Saw Works. Smith noticed the emerging market for lawn care equipment. He started the " Power Implement Division" within his company. In 1951 he introduced the "Snappin Turtle" His design was a self-propelled rotary mower that had a driven roller with three spaced tires at the rear . At the front was a skid pan that glided across the grass just behind the tips of the blade . It had a chain drive system with an oil bath enclosed gear case . The body was a stamped , sheet-steel shell painted green with a cast-iron snapping turtle head mounted on the front. This concept would be comical today, but at the time it was an ingenious marketing gimmick. The "Snappin Turtle" came standard as a walk behind unit, but a riding sulky was available as an option, the sulky was available with two wheels or one larger roller.

Sales of the new Snappin Turtle were so good that in 1954 the facility at East Point, Georgia was no longer able to keep up with the demand. To adjust to this market growth, the factory was moved to McDonough, Georgia and merged with the McDonough Foundry and Machine Works to become the McDonough Power Equipment Company it was after this merger that the mower was redesigned and the name was changed from Snappin Turtle to Snapper. The Snapper mower was to be one of the best Rotary mowers ever built.

Excerpts from Michael (The Snapper King ) Hodge's excellent article in the May/June 2012 edition of the Lawn & Garden Tractor magazine.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, June 28, 2017 - 12:18 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks