• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 BolensHorse72 OFFLINE  

BolensHorse72
  • Member No: 86191
  • 67 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 10:59 AM

I just went through all this with my 1250. Turns out that the condenser wire had a TINY bare spot and was grounding out on the points box in a spot that was not visible until I pulled out the condenser a second time...  and did a very close inspection. I decided to replace everything again that was just replaced two years ago, coil, plug, wire, points and condenser and problem gone. I'd double check for a bad wire and also for a short between the points screw and the rest of the tractor. There's a plastic insulating spacer in the bottom of the points box where the screw passes through. That insulates the wire to the coil from grounding to the main body of the tractor. If you get any continuity between the tractor and that screw then there is a short somewhere. I've never seen such a poor design in a tiny box as Wisconsin did with this setup. It's so hard to get all the pieces in place in that tiny box. Other than that it's a great engine and design good luck with it.

Thanks Husky...............still working on getting it figured out. Condenser wire was fine but replaced it anyway but with the same result.

There is an oily substance in that little box with the points and condenser so I'm gonna get that cleaned up and see if it makes any difference...........almost ready to do what you did and replace it all. 

#17 BolensHorse72 OFFLINE  

BolensHorse72
  • 67 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 11:01 AM

AND, make sure that copper strap is not grounding out.   ...It should only touch the points and the insulated screw.

Make sure the insulators where the stud passes through the block casting are good, so that the stud does not contact any metal.

Thanks Bruce I will def check those things

#18 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,188 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 11:56 AM

There was some oil film in mine too. I really think that you should try and see if you are getting continuity between that brass screw and the tractor. Bruce is correct with that copper strap and the little insulated screw. Mine was shorting out after I installed all the new parts. That light test  procedure is a great one to follow. That is how I got to figure out that I had the short. I bet it's something simple like that especially where you had it all apart. As you can see they are a HUGE pita to put back together without shorting out something. 

• BolensHorse72 said thank you

#19 BolensHorse72 OFFLINE  

BolensHorse72
  • 67 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 29, 2017 - 01:41 PM

There was some oil film in mine too. I really think that you should try and see if you are getting continuity between that brass screw and the tractor. Bruce is correct with that copper strap and the little insulated screw. Mine was shorting out after I installed all the new parts. That light test  procedure is a great one to follow. That is how I got to figure out that I had the short. I bet it's something simple like that especially where you had it all apart. As you can see they are a HUGE pita to put back together without shorting out something. 

Thanks Husky,    That brass screw you're referring to is the one that goes through the bottom of the little box and has the square plastic nut inside and the condenser lead goes to that and also the negative side of the coil, correct?

#20 BolensHorse72 OFFLINE  

BolensHorse72
  • 67 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 10:30 AM

well.......................replaced the coil and it fired right up and it runs GREAT!!! I want to say thank you for all the help guys! Just working on a battery hold down,put a new clip on the throttle linkage an re grease everything and its ready to roll. Next will be installing the mower deck  :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000 said thank you