• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 inboardnut OFFLINE  

inboardnut
  • Member No: 87450
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 08:39 AM

I just bought an 850 that has been setting for at least 5 years.  I ended up re-wiring the tractor and cleaned fuel tank. It started like it was just used yesterday! Ran it for 5 or 10 minutes, then it died. Now I have no spark. Have power to points, ran some fine sand paperbetween, followed by matchbook cover. Still nothing at spark plug.

Im hearing about static timing the engine, but can not find procedure. Can anyone help?Bolens 850 -1.jpg

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 09:06 AM

Get the service manual for that engine.  Several in the MANUALS section of this site.  Can down load a couple a day free.  Make sure the kill wire is not shorting out some where.  Manual will help your more than anything.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 10:52 AM

Shouldn't be any problems with timing unless you changed it, or something is hanging up?? Since you are in there, it wouldn't hurt to check it tho.

Which engine is this?

#4 inboardnut OFFLINE  

inboardnut
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the info on the manualsI  

Unless I'm missing it, I looked for Wisconsin SD8 and Bolens 850 and did not see a service manual that tells how to set timing.  

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 11:18 AM

You can use the manual below for timing:

http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 inboardnut OFFLINE  

inboardnut
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 11:33 AM

Shouldn't be any problems with timing unless you changed it, or something is hanging up?? Since you are in there, it wouldn't hurt to check it tho.

Which engine is this?

Engine Is WisconsinS8D..

Okay.. here is the long story... I was pleasantly surised when it fired right up on 1st attempt after re-wire and tank cleaning.  I need to adjust throttle cable yet but ran her around the yard for a few minutes before she died.

I used muriatic acid and some 1/4"  nuts to clean the tank. Let it set for a few hours while occasionaly rolling it back and forth/ side to side. Drained acid and flushed with water several times, followed by blowing out with air and then spraying Marvel Mystery oil in tank...enough to coat the interior. I also cleaned fuel elbow on bottom of tank and installed new fuel hoses and an inline filter.  The first time or two it died I pulled fuel line from carb and barely a dribble came out. Gas was bubbling in the filter, like it was boiling, but it wasnt that hot. When I pulled line off of carb the bubbling stopped.  Let it set for a bit and it fired up again...for a short time, then died. 

Had to leave for a few hours  and started working on it when we got back only to find no spark issue.... 

I am thinking of pulling the tank and hoses again to double check for blockages, but have been concentrating 1st on why no spark all of a sudden. I have power from coil to the points. When I mess with the points with key in run position, I do get some minor sparking between the contacts. The condensor shows signs of light corrosion on it's case. Installed another condensor I had from a Simpolicity parts tractor. and still no spark. 

Soooo, thats where I'm at to date.. 

#7 inboardnut OFFLINE  

inboardnut
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 11:38 AM

You can use the manual below for timing:

http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/

Thanks for this info!  Says I have exceeded my max download fo a day... guess I will wait til tomorrow?  :)

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 11:44 AM

Heres a pdf

Attached File  78127-Wisconsin TR and TRA-10D repair manual(25).pdf   5.04MB   14 downloads

• inboardnut said thank you

#9 inboardnut OFFLINE  

inboardnut
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 12:03 PM

Perfect .... looks like the info in this.. :) 

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,838 Thanks
  • 8,680 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 07:33 PM

Any of the good engine service manuals will have a troubleshooting guide. Follow it to deterrmine the problem. To check if fuel is getting to the carb, just pull the hose where it goes into the carb. Wear gas proof gloves and have a pan underneath to catch gas. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 26, 2017 - 07:33 PM.