• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 09:39 PM

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with commercial grade hot water pressure washers? I am in the market for a hot water unit, gas engine preferably and was looking at a hot2go 4000 psi machine but am looking for any opinions. I also contacted Hotsy as they have a dealer near me also. I am looking to spend up to $5000 and would like to know any of your experience with these machines. Thanks alot.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,573 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 09:57 PM

I know this is electric but the company I just left had one of these and it was a Colossal Piece of Poo. 

Maybe they had the only bad one but it never worked right and seldom worked at all.  I remember taking it to the local Deere dealer [where it was bought new!] and 3 or 4 mechanics came out of the shop and asked where we got it.  :wallbanging:

That was a real shot of confidence!!!!

In the end they shipped it to another Deere dealer about an hour away that had a mechanic that knew something about pressure washers and when it came back it actually worked for a while.  It still wouldn't remove dead bugs from the front of the trucks. 

Stole this pic from the net but this is the exact model.

washer.jpg

• Alc, Cvans and Eric have said thanks

#3 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 835 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 10:34 PM

Was told hotly was a good unit
  • Eric said thank you

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,821 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 10:39 PM

Here is a reputable company to deal with, if they have something that fits your needs.

www.dultmeier.com

IMHO, Cat pumps & Honda engines are the way to go, but most Cat pumps have a max temp rating of 140 or 160*F. 

PSI ratings are important, but GPM is just as important.  .....PSI loosens dirt, but GPM is what removes the dirt.

Think of washing a car with a garden hose.  ...If you put your finger over the end of the hose, pressure increases to help loosen stubborn dirt, but flow gets restricted.  ....Once the dirt is loosened, removing your finger increases the flow to quickly wash the dirt away.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, June 25, 2017 - 10:52 PM.

• Gtractor, Cvans and Eric have said thanks

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 11:12 PM

The unit I am looking at is honda powered and runs a general pump that from my understanding is a reputable brand of pump. That unit above is a Landa unit branded for the green I believe. I figure as long as it is US built and the engine and pump are from good stock the only other issue is heating coil and element. Hydraulics was my field and I am versed in fluid dynamics but have little experience in pressure washers when talking hot water. From research I have found that most machines come from three parent companies but then the Chinese garbage is out there also and they are branded and sold through many companies claiming made in the US as most things are now. Thanks for the help all experiences are welcome.
  • Cvans said thank you

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,821 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 08:33 AM

General brand pumps are good pumps, and have been around for many years.

Hot water is helpful in removing grease, but is not needed for most other cleaning.  ....Good solvents/detergents are just as effective in removing grease when used with cold water.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,388 Thanks
  • 5,809 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 09:22 AM

:iagree:   I use a standard type pressure washer with cold water, 4 different nozzles.  Use cheap oven cleaner to remove the rear stuborn stuff to get clean for painting.  Se no need for the added expense of the hot side of a washer.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,454 Thanks
  • 1,798 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 10:23 AM

I cant speak of the brands mentioned, but I can say if I was to spend a lot on a pressure washer, I would look for one that has a belt driven pump.

Pumps that are directly connected to the engine are succeptable to heat, and vibration from the engine which shortens the life of the pump tremendously.

Good luck on the hunt;)

#9 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 12:44 PM

This unit is not going to be used for commercial purposes so belt drive will not be necessary. While in the service I developed an allergy to solvents so hot water is the way to go. A word of advice for those of you using oven cleaner, when your skin feels like it is melting off you may cosnider alternative methods. I know the standard reply is that using P.P.E. prevents all the exposure but just being around the fumes can be enough to provoke a reaction. I always try to use the mildest method possible as it is better for the body and as much as I hate to say it, the environment as well. Thanks for all your replies.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 10:13 AM

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with commercial grade hot water pressure washers? I am in the market for a hot water unit, gas engine preferably and was looking at a hot2go 4000 psi machine but am looking for any opinions. I also contacted Hotsy as they have a dealer near me also. I am looking to spend up to $5000 and would like to know any of your experience with these machines. Thanks alot.

Strongly recommend the Hotsy® , high quality ,great support system, mobile service techs they come to you. Our dealer dropped a diesel fired ,240v electric 2000 psi off for a WEEK ! on demo , NO CHARGE!
a 40yr old greased encrusted GT was zero match for it, can only imagine what 4000 psi will do for you.
Great machine, better company and that's saying something these days.
  • Eric said thank you