• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • Member No: 87447
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 08:39 PM

Hi guys.  Newbie here.   Any idea on this?

Years ago I was heavy into Vintage minibikes and while piking a few frames up I came across this little mini riding lawnmower.  I was heavy into snapper comet mowers and snagged it. Believe it or not I actually used it for a summer on my front yard.  I never could find anything out about it and when the blade broke into 2 at the end of the season I put it in my Fathers basement.

Over the years he has tinkered with it and now i want to run back over there and grab it.

Anyone have any idea what make it is? 

Seems pretty old.  Has a 5 Hp Tecumseh on it I think.  he pulled it off a while back to see how it worked.  Has a lined tapered cone drum thing that engages the blade. 

Anyhow...Here.s pics.  Maybe I can get her going again and find or make the correct style sheetmetal for the front of it.

IMAG1066_zpsrngg9uqn.jpg

IMAG1065_zpstkwdq3cv.jpg

IMAG1064_zpspqy1islv.jpg

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,769 Thanks
  • 44,550 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 06:55 AM

Cool looking little guy.

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,960 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 07:00 AM

I can't put my finger on it, but something tells me to suggest JC Penny as a brand.
cool ride, hope you find something.

#4 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 02:31 AM

Finally found out what this thing was. Thank the Lord....and FB   After 20 some odd years it's nice to know what it actually is.  It'd be nice to know who actually made it for Sunbeam. 

It's a Sunbeam model RR250 Deluxe model.  I found some info on Facebook of all places. 

Someone also had a pic of it from a ad they posted up.   Looks like the front sheet metal should be easy enough to recreate. Looks like whats left of the front sheet metal was speed tested against a wall or something :) Should be able to get the bend out of it where it is bent at the front axle.

Still need to come up with a blade for it and a new carb is on it way.  I probably won't run the exhaust down into the deck like it had stock.  Have new chain and there a belt at the local farm store that will work to replace the drive belt to the transmission.  The steering wheel plaque should show a emblem but mine is stripped..  I want to use this once in a while but the un-obtainable drive drum brake looking thing for the blade drive has me worried.  I guess it could be relined if it goes south.

Here's a pic from the ad.  Was in a 1966 newspaper.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10352616_865355666820465_942944925395785288_n.jpg

Edited by Deezil, July 03, 2017 - 02:46 AM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 Deezil OFFLINE  

Deezil
  • 29 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 02:44 AM

I'll post a Pic of the drive drum for the blade later today. Maybe there's a replacement from some other unit I could get and keep handy.

• KennyP said thank you