• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 06:27 PM

or I'd just give up!  Have replanted my garden plants 3 times.  I'm out of plants I started inside except a few extra 'maters and some green peppers.  I don't know if the soil is bad or it's been too cold.  We've been up to 98 degrees one day, to 40 at night.  Every time it settles out like it's going to stay above 60 at night, BAM!  It's cold at night again.  The plants all wilt and turn white.  it's either the cold, or the poo..... let me 'splain.  My garden is divided in half long ways.  For 3 years I gardened the northern half and had one heck of an awesome garden.  I add/til under chicken fertilizer (which I have always let sit in a pile for atleast a year) and lot of grass and leaves I collect/place between the rows in the spring.  This year I tilled up the other half and planted, no added fertilizer, etc.  I had hoped their was enough chickie fertilizer from 3 years of flocks in that part.  The last chickie in there was last fall so it sat 6 months with no additions.  I finally have some 'mater plants looking ok but not growing as they should, atleast staying alive, for now.  The sugar snap and shell peas are doing pretty darn good, must like lots of poop.... LOL  Taters are doing awesome but that part of the garden has seen no chickies.  I had a row of radishes that went crazy, got big quick.  Every thing else is failing to grow.  Well, there is one thing going nuts.  It is getting tall/thick, becoming more of a weed problem than expected.  I planted white clover last fall to act as a nitrogen converter.  It did not do that well, probably sowing too late in the year but wow, is that stuff going crazy between the rows now!  Sure would like to see normal early summer weather!  It dropped to 44 last night, supposed to hit 42 tonight.  My poor garden.  What can I say, I moved to ND... LOL

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,721 Thanks
  • 4,482 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 08:45 PM

I know what you mean about the temps. It was only +3C here the other morning, then up to 22C again today, with miserable rain and cool temps in between. Only thing that is growing well is radishes.
  • hamman, boyscout862, FrozenInTime and 1 other said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 3,295 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 09:29 PM

We had the same problem with tomatoes & peppers...too cold out at first. Their hot weather plants. We lost our first plantings to frost around Mothers Day. Their doing well now. I would say your clover is robbing your plants of nitrogen as it's growing. The benefit is when its plowed under then breaks down & returns the nitrogen back to the soil.

Edited by Sawdust, June 25, 2017 - 09:30 PM.

• hamman, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks