• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tsfrance OFFLINE  

tsfrance
  • Member No: 86880
  • 4 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hello.  I could really use some help and some advice from everyone here.  I live in Nevada and I have about an acre and a half to mow.  I had been doing it by hand but I just got my Cub Cadet 50 inch.  Well almost all my land was short except for a field in the back that had never been done before.  About half an acre.  The stuff was dry, very dry and about a foot and a half tall.  So mower cut it nicely but parts of it were very thick but the mower did a great job.  When I got done I parked my mower and cleaned it up and all was fine.  About two hours later all my tires were flat.  All four of them.  I did some research and I guess in an area like mine it's common to get flat tires.  We have nasty goatheads but not as many as we used to and the dry weeds I cut are very stalky and can be short.  You walk on them and you feel the crunch.  So I did more research and some people use slime, slime tubes, fill the tires with foam, buy used airplane tires, metal wheels and the list goes on and on.  I only want to handle and fix this problem once.  You would think you could buy tires that are thorn proof but I have not seen that.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated as coming out to four flats can be pretty frustrating!  Thank you all for any help.

Tom

• boyscout862, Sawdust, Jazz and 1 other said thanks

#2 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 835 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 12:43 PM

Frigging goatheads,those damn things will poke thru anything.

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,401 Thanks
  • 5,813 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 12:51 PM

If the tires are in good shape, plenty of tread and no or very little sidewall cracks, I would use slime.  Put in about double the amount recommended.  Then drive the tractor around a while at a slow speed so the slime has a chance to get the inside of the tire covered.  You should be good to go for a long time, especially since your not in a cold climate.  Up here a lot of us, farmers included use it in the quad and side by side vehicles from the time they are new.  Have a lot of Honey Locust and those thorns are hard and will last forever and get up to 3" long.  Real nasty devils. 

• boyscout862, Sawdust and old coot have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,161 Thanks
  • 4,545 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 01:20 PM

:welcometogttalk: 

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the tractor with the slime in the tires BEFORE you have to change one of the tires!

That stuff is a nasty mess to deal with.

• old coot said thank you

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,377 Thanks
  • 4,084 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 01:45 PM

I plug mine, avoid slime if you can. I'll see if I can find my link. Oh, I have a yard full of Mesquite. Here is a picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-415-0-28271100-1482787370.jpg

Edited by larrybl, June 25, 2017 - 01:57 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#6 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,324 Thanks
  • 4,574 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 01:55 PM

I used Slime for years.  The immediate results are usually pretty good but over long term,  the results make me want to scream, cuss, and throw tantrums of biblical proportions.  its not worth the frustration!

Do yourself a favor and remove all 4 tires from the rims, SLOWLY feel around inside and remove all the little sharp protrusions.  Take your time and look for ones that are not all the way through yet because they will eventually go on through.  If there are only one or two per tire,  patch them.  If theres more than 2 per tire buy some tubes in the appropriate sizes and install. 

Best of luck and welcome to GTT!!!  :thumbs:

Edited by Gtractor, June 25, 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#7 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,377 Thanks
  • 4,084 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 02:01 PM

Fill a spray bottle with 1/4 dawn dish soap, and 3/4 water. Makes finding leaks easy. Air the tire up, and slowly push and spray till you see a leak. Use a plug tool to open the hole up, use second tool to push plug in (use the rubber cement on the plug) repeat as needed. I had to plug 14 holes in one tire to get it to hold for the next mowing.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Jazz have said thanks

#8 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,865 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 03:59 PM

Yikes ,,,googled Goatshead. Nothing around here that will puncture a tire. If there were I would run steel wheels.

#9 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 835 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 05:53 PM

Goathead = flat tire.i don't think we have them around spokane but I know yakima is covered in the nasty little ba##ards.i believe these were put on this earth just to piss people off

Attached Thumbnails

• d81b2df1bda56de18806ed0c1df42552.jpg

Edited by Xrperry, June 25, 2017 - 06:02 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and old coot have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,401 Thanks
  • 5,813 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 06:05 PM

I will agree that Slime is nasty stuff IF you have to replace a tire.  Guess it boils down to how many flat tiers you want to fix.  If you want to plug 14 holes in a tire at one shot, go for it.  I have better things to do so I will continue to use Slime.  Slime will seal off sidewall leaks as well as tread leaks.   How you going to plug a sidewall leak.  Patching is out of the question.  Have to find the leak, remove the tire and install the patch, etc., etc.  If you missed a leak you get to do it all over again.  Tubes won't help a bit.

• boyscout862, dcon12 and stiemmy have said thanks

#11 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,377 Thanks
  • 4,084 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 06:07 PM

Those are nasty, I keep an economy  pack of plugs on hand for my Mesquites. The 14 plugs were during a refresh. I average  1 to 2 plugs a month. A refresh is where I pull all the thorns out.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1190843.jpg
  • P1190844.jpg
  • P1190845.jpg
  • P1190846.jpg

Edited by larrybl, June 25, 2017 - 06:10 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and MolonLabe have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 07:12 PM

Welcome to GTT. As you can see, we all want to help but have differing opinions. I use all the above mentioned techniques but I use Slime the most. I have some good tire changers so the Slime doesn't really bother my tire changing. The rims were a bit rusty. Many of my tires are 40+ years old so Slime buys me a few more years. I have many spare wheels so they aren't a worry.

One compromise would be to put tubes in and fill them with Slime or buy them with Slime in them. For landfill machines we used to fill the tires with foam.

Those goat heads remind me of a little weapon that the Army used in Vietnam. It was a little 4 pointed steel tetrahedron and millions of them were dropped on NVA trails. Nasty little things.

I hope that you are able to solve your problem. Good Luck, Rick

#13 buckhvnter3 OFFLINE  

buckhvnter3
  • Member No: 87345
  • 19 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 09:51 PM

I moved into a new house on about an acre. First thing I did was cut down 2 overgrown hedgeapple trees. Horrible trees. I've tried everything to fix the flats I've encountered this year. Tried tubes and after 6 I slimed them. I've swore I'd never do it to my own before because I've repaired a lot of customers that used it. Not a fun job. Long story short I plan on buying new wheels next year so hoping I didn't do much damage to the rims. Good luck!

#14 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,042 Thanks
  • 990 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 10:27 PM

Yikes ,,,googled Goatshead. Nothing around here that will puncture a tire. If there were I would run steel wheels.

Well... I got hawthorn bushes out at my place, you're more than welcome to test that theory, you just gotta take the lot of em!

#15 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 215 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 11:20 PM

Look for a source for Tire-Ject.

Google it & check it out.

4 wheelers around here swear by it. 

• Cvans said thank you