Garden Tractor Forums banner

Electric PTO question

Tags
cub cadet pto
934 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hamman 
#1 ·
on a Cub Cadet 1554 GT. An acquaintance has asked me for a bit of help and advice. ( why I don't know) LOL. He has a PTO that will not turn on. Had a problem with the switch a few years ago and bought new switch, it worked fine. Stopped working again. No power to PTO at the PTO. Has power past switch to wires. I told him that there is probably a broken wire or that the clutch is bad. I haven't replaced one of these yet, so is there any special trick to get it off? Bolt holding it on should just spin out with an impact correct? I believe it's keyed to the shaft as others are. Just wanting to know if I am on the right track. He doesn't want to fix the pto just replace it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Roger

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Check the resistance of the pto coil it should read between 2 and 3 ohms of resistance. Sometimes after removing the bolt the pto clutch will slide off easy at other times may be rusty and not come off without pentrating oil. Also take note of how the pto is fastened to keep it from rotating. If it is not anchored properly after installation then it will spin and strip the wires from the coil. Good luck.

#3 ·
Had to tear one off the WH this winter when it quit. Never seen a CC setup but the WH required a jack screw for removal. I wouldn't have known but the WH guys at Redsquare set me in the right direction. Sure enough upon close inspection of the pto unit you could see the threads in the pto unit. Off to the hardware store for a piece of 5/8 or 3/4" all thread and 2 nuts, the jack screw was bigger in diameter than the holding bolt, turn the "special" bolt and it pushes the unit off the crankshaft.

#4 ·
A little up date on this LT. After checking all the electric circuits and switches, fuses etc., it turned out to be a relay , that of course we couldn't check. $ 8 .00 later and two weeks of non mowing he got it running and the grass cut. Now he's questioning the $65.00 switch he put in first. Thanks for reading and the help. Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.