• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • Member No: 85231
  • 32 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 08:05 PM

I'l start by admitting that I know NOTHING about sickle mowers. A friend mows maybe 30 or so miles of horse trails with his Farmall cub for a riding club. He's been having to cut back the sides with hand hedge trimmers and loppers. He mentioned that he's thinking of buying a gas powered hedge trimmer to speed things up. This got me wondering if a sickle mower on my 1976, 1614 could accomplish this task. How hard is it to find a usable sickle mower for a PK at a reasonable price? Can a sickle be operated with the bar vertical? Does anyone think that it would work and be a better option for clearing the vertical sides of the trails? 

Thanks, Roger

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,339 Thanks
  • 4,579 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 08:28 PM

IF,   IF!   you could find a Haban sickle for a PK it would run in the vertical position.

Problem is a person sitting on a horse is waaaaaayyyyy higher than the sickle will reach.

With 30 miles of trails to clear/keep clear, you could justify building a rig to help.  I'd suggest a flail mower - belt drive, inverted, with hydraulic height adjustment. 

You'd have to be behind plexiglass because debris would be flying in every direction.

Sickle mower would work in that application too without throwing shrapnel at your face. 

A miniature version of this would be handy.  This is a tree trimming son-of-a-gun!!

boom mower.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, June 22, 2017 - 08:37 PM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 08:39 PM

Hi eastcreek, only the very latest models of sickle mowers can be run in the vertical or near vertical, all of the early PK versions can not be, just looked at the Haban mowers can not be operated in the vertical position, Don't know about in your area of the country but here by me sickle mowers are impossible to find and if one is listed for sale they have a sky high price on them. A sickle mower could cut 1/4" material but would be very hard on the machine to cut up to 1/2"  I'll attach a manual for the Haban mowers they have the biggest range of cutting angles.

Attached File  Haban Sickle-Mo.pdf   1.13MB   16 downloads

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#4 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • Member No: 85231
  • 32 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. This sounds like one of those better in theory than practice deals. That's why I asked, figured someone here would have the answer. Definitely not looking to spend thousands. Was hoping if it could be accomplished for not too much $ that I could help my friend out and have an excuse to play with the tractor a bit.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 297 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted June 23, 2017 - 02:12 PM

If your sickle bar mower has a "wobble box" mounted on the end of the sickle bar and driven by a long belt, it will usually cut in any position. If your sickle bar is driven by a long wooden pitman arm, it won't cut except in the down position. Usually typically, mostly.
  • Alc and eastcreek have said thanks