300 deck rebuild?s

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zr600 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4208
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 10:05 PM

Im having some questions on puttin new spindle bearings in my 48 deck. Do you need a press to do this? I used a vice to get the two outside ones and it seemed to work good, but the one doesn't have a knob sticking out know to mount the blade on what would cause this? And i tapped the bearing on the middle spindle with a hammer then used the vice once it was in far enough to fit in my vice. I mounted them then i put on the middle pulley and tightened it and now the spindle won't spin free what would cause this? Before i mounted and tightened the nut on the pulley it spun free, i even loosened it and it still wouldn't spin free. THis is starting to confuse me.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 06:45 AM

It's hard to tell from your description but it sounds as if the spindle is not assembled correctly or you have damaged something when assembling it. I don't have any experience working on decks but have done a lot of bearing replacements in electric motors. When putting a bearing on a shaft you should only apply force to the shaft bushing of the bearing and never to the outside rim. When mounting a bearing into a housing you should only apply force to the outside rim of the bearing an not to the bushing. You can easily damage a bearing by pounding on the wrong area. Is it possible that the bearings are not all the way on the shaft and are binding when you tighten the nut?
Inspect the spindles carefully and compare the assembly to the parts diagram for the deck which you can find on jdparts.com Someone with deck spindle experience will probably pitch in with more specific advise.